Any camcorder forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgeralds

Apr 2, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
I don't know where to post my question.

Can somebody point me some camcorder forums?? Any recommendations for camcorders that uses miniDV? My budget is S$2500. The camcorder should be resonably compact, clear picture, able to edit a little, easy to use & handle and have night shot capability.

Anybody using Panasonic NV-GS3, 4 or 5??

Thks

Originally posted by dgeralds
I don't know where to post my question.

Can somebody point me some camcorder forums?? Any recommendations for camcorders that uses miniDV? My budget is S$2500. The camcorder should be resonably compact, clear picture, able to edit a little, easy to use & handle and have night shot capability.

Anybody using Panasonic NV-GS3, 4 or 5??

Thks

I have a GS3. Pretty small and compact, has all the features I need without having too many bells & whistles. Video quality is pretty good, and the Firewire interface lets me transfer video via my Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum to the PC for editing. SRP is just $1699.

GS5 is the same, just with the additional SD slot for taking stills. This costs $200 more, and I think it's not worth it as I have a digital still camera already. Besides, image quality is not likely to be good.

For $2500, you can actually go for the Sony PC9 as well.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

I have a GS3. Pretty small and compact, has all the features I need without having too many bells & whistles. Video quality is pretty good, and the Firewire interface lets me transfer video via my Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum to the PC for editing. SRP is just $1699.

GS5 is the same, just with the additional SD slot for taking stills. This costs $200 more, and I think it's not worth it as I have a digital still camera already. Besides, image quality is not likely to be good.

For $2500, you can actually go for the Sony PC9 as well.

Regards
CK

where can i read reviews on Panasonic GS3, 4 and 5?? Thks

Originally posted by ckiang

They are so new, there isn't even a lot of product information on the web! I am told it's released in March this year.

Regards
CK

I was told that one of the latest models either NV-GS5 or NV-GS7 comes with an an accessory something like a clip-on onto the shirt that has a lens which is connected to the camcorder for discrete filiming. Any idea about it??

Why is it even in Panasonic website there isn't any mention of the product GS3, 5??

Thks

I'm trying to re-open discussion on this thread.

Is there a camcorder forum like what ClubSnap is to DC? I found a couple US and UK based ones but I would prefer local contents.

I'm a newbie looking for a good and reasonable Digital Video Camera aka camcorder.

a) Budget is between $1-$2K.
b) Do not need fancy bluetooth thingie
c) Need not to be very good in taking still photo as I have an Oly C2040Z already.

There are a couple of storage media available on camcorder: Video8, MiniDV, MicroMV blah blah blah. From my research it seems the MiniDV is probably the best now - comment?

Sony is the market leader but their camcorders are more expensive. I trust Canon and perhaps Panasonic.

Recommendation please!

:gbounce:

You would pay more for a DV than a D8. The D8 gives almost as good a result for a lower price. You can use firewire for your didgital video downloads. Also you can use the cheaper V8 or Hi8 tapes (but the price of DV tapes have fallen). The downside? The videocams are bigger and are nearly all Sonys.

Of course go for DV videocams, if your budget permits (and it does). They are the best quality now for consumer formats. The video quality can vary quite a bit. The CCDs can range from 0.8 to 1.5 MPs. The GS3 seems like a good buy. MS Colour quoted me $1.4K. I have used a low-end Panasonic for 3 1/2 years and it is still serving me well. Also check out the Canon MV530i. I have handled it but the impression is that it is plasticky and the autofocus hunts too much. The Sony PC9 which has been discontinued I think should be priced less than $2K. It's really small, solid and neat.

You must handle a model before buying. Things to watch out for:
* does it fit your hand and all the switches fall into easy reach, eg, power, zoom
* are the zoom & autofocus fast & accurate
* how fast does it start up
* important things like battery life and machine noise you can find out from good reviews
* overall built quality & feel

Some helpful sites:
http://www.camuser.co.uk/
http://electronics.cnet.com (not very up to date)
http://www.epinions.com/
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Good hunting!

Cyaw, thanks for your comments and the additional websites to do my research. Pity there isn't a local one though... yet!

I've checked out the Canon MV530i on the Canon S'pore website. I believe this is equivalent to the ZR45MC in the US. The reviews that I have read gave it excellent mark.

I also went to the Panasonic website and they have this groovy new thing called the EX21 - it is like a transformer thingy that can become a still DC or a Camcorder depending on what you plug and play. Very fanciful and have not read any review on this yet. Also, I can't find specs for the GS3 there anymore...

The Sony ranges are confusing - too many models. The IP series is cool but at a premium price - do not need the bluetooth stuff.

What to buy? Still cannot decide. One thing I'm sure is that I would not buy at the major retail chains like Best, Harvey Norman, Courts etc.

HI,

given that your budget is the $2500 mark, I would suggest the Sony DCR PB120. Although it is not as new as the PB101, the 120 has

a. bigger lenses
b. 1.5 MP CCD than 1.0 MP CCD on 101
c. Flash for still photography

What the 101 has but 120 does not include :
1. USB streaming where the 101 can be used a webcam
2. Hologram AF, only for still image
3. smaller

If you prefer a littler btg bigger, I would suggest the TRV 50E. It has exactly the combination of 101 and 120 but

1. with even larger lenses
2. Larger LCD screen

However forget about the O lux bullshit, I believe all of the above is 7 lux.

If you want better quality and willing to spend more, I would suggest going for the 3CCD movie camera, then you have

1. Sony TRV950E (around 3600)
2. Camera GL2 (just came out)
3. Sony VX200E (mid 4K)
4. Sony PD150 (a lot of pros loved it - cost 5.3K)
5. Panasonic MX300 (Do not get the MX3500, looks ugly)

Finally, I do not recommend the microDV, stick on to MiniDV.

Two things that you have to remember:
1. Size - do you like the PC 120 type or the TRV50
2. All one CCD camera give you about the same quality when you take outdoor, it is during indoord that quality defers. It all depends on the size of the CCD and the acompanying lenses.

Angy, my budget is NOT $2500 but $1-2K. Dgeralds is the guy with more $$$.

Frankly I'm willing to spend too much money esp on features that I hardly use.

It seems that you are a Sony advocateur. What would you recommend between 1-2K price range? Is there such a model as the PB120? Could you mean PC120???

What do you think of the DCR-TRV27E?

Cheers!

I do not advocate the Sony series, it is just that Sony have a good range compared to others.

in fact, personally, i think TRV50 is an overkill. I would not use the bluetooth nor would i use the touch screen features.

I believe the TRV27 is good enough if you do not mind not having the 1.5mp CCD.

Did you check out the Canon 550i and 530i? I believe they are <$2K.

The canon singapore website has a good comparison of the two camcorders.

Three things to remember :
1. I believe the Canon CCD size is a bit smaller. (if I am not wrong) Canon is 1/6" and Sony is 1/4.7"

2. But Canon has 22X (550i) optical zoom compared to Sony 10X optical zoom. Do not look at digital zoom.

3. If you have Canon G2, you can share the same battery BP511

i have a panasonic nv-gs3 for sale....
condition is as good as new

A bit soon but has anyone bought/handled the Sony PC101? Think it is as small as the PC9 but with a 1MP chip. $2299 list

check my thread

here

EviL_InSiDe, no offence intended but NOT interested in your offer.

All, the Sony Mid- Year Promo is here again. Check this website:
http://www.sony.com.sg/midyearpromo/

Free Sony Total Video Editing Solution with purchase of selected Handycam.

Listed price for some camcorders that I'm interested in:

DCR-PC120E Mini DV Network Handycam $2,899 :eek:
DCR-IP55E...SGD$2799.00 *ouch* expensive... :eek:
DCR-PC101E Compact Mega Pixel Handycam $2,299
DCR-TRV50E Top-of-the-line Network Handycam $2,699

:( All beyond my budget... the PC101E looks tempting to cough up $300 more but I DO NOT need the fancy stuffs.

I also looked at the JVC stuff and the promo it has for WorldCup. The new stuff looks cool and is more affordable than the Sony equivalent. Would you buy a JVC???

Hi,

I was quoted,

PC101 around $1900,
TRV50E around $2320
PC120 around $2600

regards

Originally posted by angy
Hi,

I was quoted,

PC101 around $1900,
TRV50E around $2320
PC120 around $2600

regards

Angy, pray tell me where you get the quote from? Cathay Photo E-quote? For the price quoted, comes with the free gifts and course? Frankly I can do without the gifts and course - can discount $400 for these?

The following two are by CP equote,

item :
1) Sony PC101E @ S$1,830.00
2) Sony PC120E @ S$2,450.00

Date : 25 June 2002 / SL

Hello and thank you for your email.

Price : nett and subject to 3% GST
Delivery : ex-stock subject to prior sales, unless otherwise stated.
Terms of Payment : Cash / Net

For the TRV50E, I asked a sales person in the shop

Add on, also from a CP equote, 5 Jul 02:
1) Sony TRV50E @ S$2,230.00 (nett and subject to 3% GST)

Same quote also gave the Sony NPQM71 @ S$135.00

Any one knows of 3rd party batteries for Sony videocams that are available in Singapore?

Finally bought my camcorder - no NOT a Sony which I find too expensive. Instead I bought the Canon MV500i from this shop in Holland Village call Parisilk.

Price check at shops in Suntec showed the price to be at about $1690 which is list price but with 5 free MiniDV, Tripod and Bag thrown in.

Quite happy with this camera although it did not come with SD memory for the still picture - my reasoning is simple - why need this when I have a purposed built Oly 2040Z which takes far better pictures?

Anyway, need to buy more MiniDV tapes now coz I have been busy shooting my little girl who will be celebrating her 1st B'day soon. Anybody got lobang for MiniDV?

Status
Not open for further replies.