Any battery that will not leak in the equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

poh6702

May 8, 2004
Very often, when we leave the battery in the equipment for too long, the batteres leak and damage the equipment. Are there any batteries that will not leak? For example: disposable lithum? NiCD rechargable battery? NIMH rechargable battery? Enelop battery, etc...

If there is, can it be supported by technical reason to explain why the battery design will not leak.

Lithium Polymer, as it's not liquid.

Very often, when we leave the battery in the equipment for too long, the batteres leak and damage the equipment. Are there any batteries that will not leak? For example: disposable lithum? NiCD rechargable battery? NIMH rechargable battery? Enelop battery, etc...

If there is, can it be supported by technical reason to explain why the battery design will not leak.

It is the electropotential that caused corrosion, usually near the terminals, and ultimately caused leakage.

Battery terminals and the contacts on the equipment are made of different metals. With electropotential applied over the contacts, there will be a tendency of corrosion to occur.

Even if leakage do not occur, it is still adviceable to remove the batteries if not in use for a long period. You might have a corroded or oxidised contacts as a result.

BC

Off course it is good to remove battery when not in use, but for some items like remote control of TV, SCV, VCR, air-con, the battery can last for years, and you use them everyday, it is not practical to remove the battery, more often then not, they were spoil by battery leakage eventually. If litium battery will not leak for example, then I don't mind buying AAA litium battery for all my remote control, that is the reason I posted this question here to find out.

Rechargeable batteries usually have thicker and more robust casing and more resistant to leakage.

BC

Lithium AA or AAA size battery is different with Lithium POLIMER battery.

There is no Lithium POLIMER battery in AA or AAA size.

Regards,
Arto.

All Lithium batteries don't leak because there is not liquid inside Lithium batteries, wheather it is AA, AAA or CR123A. They have very long shelf life and can be left inside your equipment for a long long time. However, they produce hydrogen inside your equipment batteriy chamber, that's why you'll get a weird pungent smell (hydrogen) when you unscrewed your Surefire torches and other devices that use CR123A lithium batteries.

One important thing to note is, never immerse Lithium battery into water as lithium reacts very violently in water (H20), and if you have equipemnt that use more than one lithium batteries, please replace the battery as a set, and NEVER ever use new and old lithium batteries together in your equipment as doing so may cause reversing charging leading to explosion. As a torchlight hobbyist myself, I have came across numerous cases of torchlights (that uses multiple CR123A) exploded, both locally (heard of 2 cases) and internationally, just because the user mixed an old lithium with brand new one. Lithium batteries need to be treated with respect!

All Lithium batteries don't leak because there is not liquid inside Lithium batteries, wheather it is AA, AAA or CR123A. They have very long shelf life and can be left inside your equipment for a long long time. However, they produce hydrogen inside your equipment batteriy chamber, that's why you'll get a weird pungent smell (hydrogen) when you unscrewed your Surefire torches and other devices that use CR123A lithium batteries.

One important thing to note is, never immerse Lithium battery into water as lithium reacts very violently in water (H20), and if you have equipemnt that use more than one lithium batteries, please replace the battery as a set, and NEVER ever use new and old lithium batteries together in your equipment as doing so may cause reversing charging leading to explosion. As a torchlight hobbyist myself, I have came across numerous cases of torchlights (that uses multiple CR123A) exploded, both locally (heard of 2 cases) and internationally, just because the user mixed an old lithium with brand new one. Lithium batteries need to be treated with respect!

I also observed that Lithium battery (be it AA or AAA) are much lighter than normal batteries? If Lithium battery will not leak, then it is good news, I will buy Lithium batteries for all my remote controls. As you know, remote control battery usually last for years in the remote control.

Normal lithium will still leak leh, I have one that leak on my torch.
There is a Eveready Gold battery that states that it will not leak on the package but not sure how true that is.

I also observed that Lithium battery (be it AA or AAA) are much lighter than normal batteries? If Lithium battery will not leak, then it is good news, I will buy Lithium batteries for all my remote controls. As you know, remote control battery usually last for years in the remote control.

Yes, inside is just power (white), however, they are nasty stuffs and lithium battery contains meganese which is toxic. The white power is lithium and that is why it is so much lighter as it does not contains fluid. So far, none of my CR123A batteries inside all my Surefire torchlights ever leaked!!! As mentioned, do excercise care when using lithium batteries.

Yes, inside is just power (white), however, they are nasty stuffs and lithium battery contains meganese which is toxic. The white power is lithium and that is why it is so much lighter as it does not contains fluid. So far, none of my CR123A batteries inside all my Surefire torchlights ever leaked!!! As mentioned, do excercise care when using lithium batteries.
Energizer CR123A and AA lithium batteries are of different system:
CR123A - Li-MnO2 (3V)
AA / AAA - Li-FeS2 (1.5V)

Li-FeS2 (AA/AAA) batteries have FeS2 powder in paste form.

As long as there is electrochemical reactions going on in the batteries, there is a chance of the metal casing to be corroded and lead to leakage (even when the contents are in powder form). Paste electrolyte (which Li AA batteries contain) may be more susceptably to leakage.

Lithium batteries have long shelf life due to the very low self discharge. I am not sure whether it is more resistant to leakage though. Li-MnO2 batteries seems to be from your experience. Lithium AA batteries are different.

BC

yeap you are right, I use Li-MnO2 90% of the time. thanks for your info about Li AA/AAA. :)

Energizer CR123A and AA lithium batteries are of different system:
CR123A - Li-MnO2 (3V)
AA / AAA - Li-FeS2 (1.5V)

Li-FeS2 (AA/AAA) batteries have FeS2 powder in paste form.

As long as there is electrochemical reactions going on in the batteries, there is a chance of the metal casing to be corroded and lead to leakage (even when the contents are in powder form). Paste electrolyte (which Li AA batteries contain) may be more susceptably to leakage.

Lithium batteries have long shelf life due to the very low self discharge. I am not sure whether it is more resistant to leakage though. Li-MnO2 batteries seems to be from your experience. Lithium AA batteries are different.

BC

What about rechargable batteries like Enelop? Do they contain liquids that could possibly leak?

How to identify dry or wet cells for AA & AAA?

Generally all batteries used in electronics are called dry cells! (...as opposed to acid-lead car batteries with liquid electrolyte)

BC

All these......

when you can simply take the freakin' battery out of the camera.....
Read again post #1 and #3.

Do you always take out your TV remote battery when not in use (but you use it everyday)?

Regards,
Arto.

How to identify dry or wet cells for AA & AAA?

if you are talking about disposable batteries, there are 2 types - dry cell and alkaline batteries.

Alkaline batteries uses an alkaline solution to store charge whereas dry cell batteries use a thin film which is rolled into a cylinder to store charges (like a capacitor)

Eveready batteries is an example of dry cell batteries.

if you are talking about disposable batteries, there are 2 types - dry cell and alkaline batteries.

Alkaline batteries uses an alkaline solution to store charge whereas dry cell batteries use a thin film which is rolled into a cylinder to store charges (like a capacitor)

Eveready batteries is an example of dry cell batteries.

If dry cell is dry, then will it leak in the equipment.

Thanks for sharing of knowledge, but I still haven't got my answer?:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.