Any alternative to Light Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-user

Mar 11, 2006
TPY
Use the trial version of the Light room, find it's not bad.... but the price is abour S$460 there about.... only a light user.... any cheaper alternative??? :dunno:.... also try Nikon NX, but find Lightroom better, at least fo me...

Why not try Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 - less than $100 for sure.

If you're using a mac there's aperture. go with either that or lr or elements as previously suggested, though lightroom is prob the best valure for money in my opinion.

Thank for the advise..... I agree LR so far still the best in term of $$$ as compare to software like Phase One or Aperture (don't know whether they have PC version)..... but still for casual user, $400++ is kind of high.....

Yo bro longkangman, I got mine second hand.... and the software is Picture Project... think the stuff inside is very limited lor.... :dunno:..... maybe I go try out element....

Not sure what exactly you need that can be found in Lightroom but if you want a capable software on the cheap, try "The GIMP", its FREE !

Has most of the tweaking and editing functions that you can ask for. In fact, its like a mini-photoshop. :thumbsup:

okie dokie bros, thank for all advise.... will try thm out and see which oen fit the bill.... of course if FOC better... ;p

Capture One 4... very powerful RAW converter at less than $200... download a trial version for a spin :)

Capture One 4... very powerful RAW converter at less than $200... download a trial version for a spin :)

okie bro, will go try that out.... by the way, less than $200 is US or S$??? :sweat:

Updated.... okie contacted them, going at S$180....

If you require the image viewing and quick editing features of lightroom, think you can try Picassa. Not sure bout the latest edition, but the one i used to use was somewhat similar to the concept of lightroom. Except you can't process images from raw files. :)

If you require the image viewing and quick editing features of lightroom, think you can try Picassa. Not sure bout the latest edition, but the one i used to use was somewhat similar to the concept of lightroom. Except you can't process images from raw files. :)
picasa is only good for very minimal pp, it doesn't offer anything close to what lightroom can do in terms of control...
at under $200, Capture One 4 would be pretty good, tried the trial and it really speedy in terms of browsing images at 100%, image processing is slightly slower compared to ACR and lightroom (but this process is normally done only after you have finished changing any settings you want on all your image, so just let it run while surfing net... etc).
and imho, it produce much better result than acr and lightroom.

I have both Capture NX, Lightroom and Capture One LE. My preference is still for lightroom due to the seamless workflow and ease of handling raws. :D

lightroom edu version is $158 ;p

Hi MadMacs,

I checked adobe online and it says the student version only applicable for US and Europe cusstomers. Any idea where I could obtain student version here?

I downloaded the LR1.3 for the 30 days try-out and I am really loving it.

Hi MadMacs,

I checked adobe online and it says the student version only applicable for US and Europe cusstomers. Any idea where I could obtain student version here?

I downloaded the LR1.3 for the 30 days try-out and I am really loving it.

try one of the shops like south asia computer at funan. i saw it around there.

Thank you for the information. I shall look around funan.

mac user here..

tried using LR, Aperture, DPP, Image viewer..

find that LR has the easiest flow..

* also like the ability to export to web using simpleviewer/flash or simple html output..

Status
Not open for further replies.