Any Alternative to Dry Box ?

sabbir

Dec 15, 2013
Singapore
Hi Guys,

Newbie here :)

First of all, i searched the forum and did not find any specific answers of my question, thus posting this ;)
I am a seafarer, I spend 4 months out at sea and 2 months at home on a rotation basis.
During vacation, i travel a lot, obviously with my camera :)
Now the problem is i can not carry around a dry box with me all the time as i am on the move most of the time.
While at sea, though the ship goes around various weather conditions, my Gears remain in my cabin which is 24/7 air conditioned.
The gears i currently own is a DSLR and 3 Lenses with other accessories.
Don't wanna loose them on the move.

Is there any alternative to dry box to protect my gears ?

24/7 air conditioned, you will not need a dry box.

Is there any alternative to dry box to protect my gears ? [/FONT][/SIZE]

Fairly confusing post, to be honest. Are you talking about when you are out shooting during your vacation? Or when you're at sea? I'm pretty sure no one here carries a dry box around with them all the time even if we aren't seafarers. I think they're used more as a form of storage when the equipment is not being used. If you're carrying stuff around just use a bag.

Protect from what? You mention not wanting to "loose them on the move", are you talking about protection from theft?? If you're talking about the occasional RH fluctuation, you could try an air-tight bag (ziplock?) + desiccant + hygrometer. Leave it overnight when you're sleeping. In any case, don't get what your question is, may wish to rephrase it more clearly if none of our answers make sense to you :bsmilie:

Fairly confusing post, to be honest. Are you talking about when you are out shooting during your vacation? Or when you're at sea? I'm pretty sure no one here carries a dry box around with them all the time even if we aren't seafarers. I think they're used more as a form of storage when the equipment is not being used. If you're carrying stuff around just use a bag.

Protect from what? You mention not wanting to "loose them on the move", are you talking about protection from theft?? If you're talking about the occasional RH fluctuation, you could try an air-tight bag (ziplock?) + desiccant + hygrometer. Leave it overnight when you're sleeping. In any case, don't get what your question is, may wish to rephrase it more clearly if none of our answers make sense to you :bsmilie:

If you're talking about the occasional RH fluctuation, you could try an air-tight bag (ziplock?) + desiccant + hygrometer.

This part actually answer my question :)

You sounds like an expert, how come u get confused so easily ? :eek:

Thanks anyway!

Fungus growth is rapid.

Suggest you keep a drybox, enough to support your current system with some room to spare, unless your room at home has aircon 24/7. Nowadays Drybox small size cost about $110, enough for a DSLR plus 3 lenses.

When you are out, if you are using on a daily basis, forget about the Dry box.

In all cases, make sure you have general camera hygiene.

If you perspire a lot, take out the camera strap and wash it once every 2 weeks if you use the camera daily. You have no idea how much fungus there is.

Use a dry cloth to clean the DSLR every day after use. Our hands are greasy.

Use LensPen to clean the lens and filter frequently

Hope these are useful

Fungus growth is rapid.
Suggest you keep a drybox, enough to support your current system with some room to spare, unless your room at home has aircon 24/7. Nowadays Drybox small size cost about $110, enough for a DSLR plus 3 lenses.
Fungus does not just grow rapidly. It takes time and it depends in the conditions. So a sweeping statement doe snot help.
For $110 I believe you are talking about a Dry Cabinet, not a dry box. A small dry box is around $30 or already given as freebie, the electrical Dry Cabinet costs a bit more.

Sorry, I was quick to quote. Some call it Dry Box and some call it Dry Cabinet. Old days we call it Dry Box before electrical version comes in.

It takes lots of discipline to use those silica gel lor if one uses those freebie dry box with the gyrometer. I remembered using an old frying pan to roast the pink silica gel.

Electrical Dry cabinet now much affordable. For $110, you can get a decent size that can hold 1 DSLR plus 3 lens.

Singapore is relatively humid, where one can see those white mould formation in some humid houses within a few days. fungus grow rapidly in humid condition. Most of our houses are not airy and usually quite humid.

I use a "lock N lock" container with a thirsty hippo and humidity meter (buy from daiso ) .

whole setup in my office with aircon ...

I use a "lock N lock" container with a thirsty hippo and humidity meter (buy from daiso ) .

whole setup in my office with aircon ...

Thirsty hippo is not a good idea. Have you seen a hippo when it's at end of life? It's filled with
water. The aircon gives you a false sense of security. Best to use silica gel which is completely dry
and is recyclable by reheating back to clear colour. Alternatively invest in a small dry cabinet.

a quick and cheap method..... get a small cabinet/box/cardboard-box and just stick a small 2w Incandescent light bulb in there ..... it will create a very dry environment of about 30+ % rh or lower

no need to be air-tight.... in fact make a little hole bottom and top to let air circulate and prevent too much heat buildup

443px-Incandescent_light_bulb.svg.png

Last edited: