any advice?: sunset & sunrise setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtm78

Feb 7, 2009
how to setup for a sunset & sunrise shoot? what mode to use? what apeture and ISO? what lens to use?

i got a 350d, 18-55, 75-300, 18-200, and a 50mm.. and a tripod...

advice pls

Last edited:
Any lens. Low ISO. Small aperture.

Since you don't know what to do, why not try try try? Or try a shot in "Auto", figure out what your camera thinks is best and try from there?

Shoot with a tripod ( or anything stabilised ) if shutter speed is a little too long for hand holding comfort.

Happy shooting

Ryan

how to setup for a sunset & sunrise shoot? what mode to use? what apeture and ISO? what lens to use?

i got a 350d, 18-55, 75-300, 18-200, and a 50mm..

advice pls

I am not an expert but I agree it is good to have a tripod. Depends on what you want to shoot. if you want the foreground subject to be silky tripod is definitely needed and remote trigger would be good.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373636&highlight=labrador
18mm for sure if you want landscape but sometime you may want to vary you composition and zoom in (attentively you could do it during post processing)
like this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529586
or this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508585&highlight=labrador

I guess in your case the 18-200 would be a good choice. BTW, the current hot spell is producing magnificent sunset..
just my $0.02

Last edited:
1) Use a tripod,
2) If you want those slightly warmer sun set tones, use white balance = shade or cloudy
3) Slow Shutter
4) F8 and above should be nice.

* Use the above as a guide and tweak the settings accordingly.

Happy Snapping~

what if i want to use objects or ppl in my shot to frame the sun(direct)... what settings can i do?

what if i want to use objects or ppl in my shot to frame the sun(direct)... what settings can i do?

If you want then to appear as dark silhouettes then you are lucky. Just snap into the sun, the camera will make them dark anyway due to short exposure. If you want to have them brighter, recognizable faces etc. then you can use reflectors or fill flash. Please read up about the basics. Whatever people here tell you will make much more sense if you know more about exposure. Otherwise it's just funny numbers flying around ... which won't help at all if you need to change settings.

3371553633_efcc35babc.jpg

If this is what you want, then just shoot against the sunlight.

Else, you might need a flash unit. For examples, you go to the wedding gallery(one of the subforums) to look at their pictures where they took outdoor AD shots. Flash on the foreground to compensate for the contrast from the background.

ND filters are helpful for high dynamic range shots or a cheaper way is to bracket the shots and post process later.

if i dont have a flash, is there any alternative?

The 350D has a pop up flash. Good enough for fill-in? Have you tried?
I think it is better to invest in a flash unit as flash without a diffuser is usually too harsh

i got a 350d, 18-55, 75-300, 18-200, and a 50mm.. and a tripod...

advice pls

all lenses can be used

any mode can be used

as long as you know what you are doing.

there is no magic combination of lens that will work for every setting. some places do better with 200mm, some places do better with 300mm, some places do better with 10mm. firstly, everyone sees different things, how do you expect us to expect you to see what we see? secondly, there are endless possibilities, and not exploring every possibility within the limitations of your gear is very silly indeed.

as for iso and aperture... it depends on what you are shooting, really. if you are shooting people with sunset as background, then you might not want to use low iso, maybe bump it up a little else cannot expose properly.. if you are shooting the scene, and there aren't many moving things that you don't want moving, then use low iso, and small aperture. like i said, endless possibilities.

learn the basics, understand your camera settings, let no possible composition that you can notice escape your notice.. and that is the way to go. not asking online about magic settings or which lens to use for "sunset" or "sunrise" or "daytime". because it really depends.

Last edited:
ND filters are helpful for high dynamic range shots or a cheaper way is to bracket the shots and post process later.

It's GND you are looking for, not ND. ND filters cut exposure across the whole frame.

What are you shooting?

Anyone who advises before knowing that isn't giving good advice :)

Seriously. We need to know WHAT you want to shoot before we can possibly know how to advise you. Sure there are some basics of shooting, but you could handle it so many different ways it's not even funny.

Are you shooting the beach, people, the sun, the sky? Too many variables to list.

Paul
http://www.paulcypert.com
http://accidentalepicurean.com

1) Use a tripod,
2) If you want those slightly warmer sun set tones, use white balance = shade or cloudy
3) Slow Shutter
4) F8 and above should be nice.

* Use the above as a guide and tweak the settings accordingly.

Happy Snapping~

spot metering:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Just to add on:

1. Check this for sunrise/sunset timings as well as low and high tide timings if you are thinking of taking seascapes/landscapes too during the golden hours (rocks and coastallines are more visible during low tides). Storm clouds give a dramatic feel to a composition.

2. Generally sunrise and sunsets are around 7am and 7pm respectively. Go earlier, say 30mins earlier to set-up, test shots, and to find a location for the best composition etc. It is very important to have all the in-camera settings ready cos the light will change very fast, the position of the sun will change very fast, the position of the clouds too, a few seconds will make a difference.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.