Any advice for Tibet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justarius

Nov 9, 2003
Northeast
Visit site
Hi all,

will be going to Tibet in early May for around 12 days. Any good advice (general and photographic) from the "old birds" who have been there?

Am currently debating whether to travel light, or to bring along the kitchen sink (any need for macro lenses? Telephoto lenses? Should I bring a film backup? Or should I just bring a film body preloaded with B&W film anyway?) Don't think I'll be bringing along a tripod though... this is more of a backpacking trip and a tripod is really to unweildy to bring along, but I'm thinking of bringing along a small tabletop tripod (any recommendations for small, lightweight tabletop tripod capable of holding a D70 + lens?)

Thanks!

ps wouldn't be replying to this post too soon... busy defending the nation.

There's lots of good advice on the web for travel photography-- please google.

On Tibet specifically, there's lots of threads illustrating the types of shots people take when they're in Tibet-- mainly landscapes, people and temple ceremonies. Although you can go Tibet to shoot insects using macro, I think that's not what most people think of when they go Tibet.

One key thing that distinguishes Tibet from other travel locations is the altitude-- you need good UV haze filter on your lenses, and remember you'll get winded easily if you carry too much equipment.

Wai Leong
===
justarius said:
Hi all,

will be going to Tibet in early May for around 12 days. Any good advice (general and photographic) from the "old birds" who have been there?

Am currently debating whether to travel light, or to bring along the kitchen sink (any need for macro lenses? Telephoto lenses? Should I bring a film backup? Or should I just bring a film body preloaded with B&W film anyway?) Don't think I'll be bringing along a tripod though... this is more of a backpacking trip and a tripod is really to unweildy to bring along, but I'm thinking of bringing along a small tabletop tripod (any recommendations for small, lightweight tabletop tripod capable of holding a D70 + lens?)

Thanks!

ps wouldn't be replying to this post too soon... busy defending the nation.

Hi all,

Nah... no need to bring ur macro lens.. i doubt u'll stay in a place just for the macro.
in fact, there is some bugs there. but not worth for macro.

for tripod. IF you want to shoot those interior of the temple, bring a normal tripod but NOT table tripod. i brough both, end up table tripod sat in my bag. and u wun be able to find a good place to place ur table tripod.

and for tibet... i think u need a wide angle for landscape and 80-200/70-200 for candid shoot. u should bring a telezoom.... the candid there really worth u carry such heavy lense.

if u think u need a film body,that's fine too, but to me, i dun think there is such necessary. u can shoot raw and convert it to B&W.

please bring more battery as the weather is cold. but for 12 days, i think 2-3 pcs of batt for ur cam is good enough.

You need to PAY to the temple IF you want to shoot within the temple. because they need money to maintance the facilities of the temple. and usually it's NOT CHEAP. maybe SGD2.50 Per hall. and they have MULTIPLE hall, how many u can pay ? :) so, shoot wisely.

try to know which place u r visiting, and for some place which is out of lhasa, u need to inform the travel agency whether you are qualify or not as u r not china resident, they have such law due to politic issues. and also please check, if i'm not wrong, singaporean also need a "letter" from authorities to enter to tibet. i paid RMB1500 for it. rounded up to SGD, it's about 350SGD.

if u can access to outside lhasa, go to "namtso - holy lake", "Shang Ye Si - 1st temple in tibet if i'm not wrong", "5 angel street = wu jiao jie", "Zhe Feng si"..... a lot a lot more.... and u can get internet access at "wu jiao jie". and PLEASE try their yark cheeze... u'll never forget the taste of it.. hahahahaha

*** you need a CPL. else, u'll missed a lot of shots.... and dun worry about the haze, i was there for about 32 days. never encounter such problem.not even 1. and please wake up early... and try walk out to the street toward potala palace......

PM me if u need any help or MSN/ICQ then.

tibet - a place u need to visit before u leave this earth. MUST MUST.
if you got more time, try to visit shangri-la, Xining, and QingHai......

hmm ok thanks all!

BTW, is it worth it to make a detour to Mt Everest basecamp? Currently facing two options... 8days in tibet for approx $1700, or 12days (including Mt Everest) for approx $2200....

am also planning as well, thinking 7day tour package ~$1800...Besh went for 32days!!! Wooww!

Was wondering if it is possible to overnight on Everest Base Camp instead of retreating to Rongphu Monastry for the night as I want to catch the sunrise over Everest first thing in the morning. How far is the monastry away from the bas camp?

Anyone who visited Everest Base Camp done this before?

justarius said:

Sure. Remember that Tibet is "part" of China. Don't carry any pro-independence posters or materials. Don't even carry any materials relating to the Dalai Lama. Such is life....

I want to be proud to be Chinese, but it's hard when China acts like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.