Any advice for taking photo during travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerwen

Sep 18, 2002
Visit site
Hi olympians,
I'm using c-720uz and currently have these accessories only
1x16m, 2x32mb and a minitripod. I have decided to get another 128mb. Do you guys think i should get any wide angle lense or other type of lenses if deem suitable? Oh ya, i've already got 2 sets of rechargeable batt and charger. Lastly, does this DC have a option to change to a 3:2 format? Really appreciate any comments. Cheers

What you need to get depends on what you like to shoot. Do you think your lens is not wide enough at the moment? What is your preference? Do you shoot landscape, portraits ot architecture?

Where are you going? Is this going to be a photography trip or are you just bringing your camera along for snapshots? Maybe a combination of both? How much memory you need depends on how much you'd like to shoot but I can tell you, you'll never be sorry to have more than you need in that regards.

You need to ask yourself what you're going to do with your camera and assess accordingly. I'm sure poeple here can give you some recommendations once we know what you need. We can't decide for you.

Originally posted by Kit
What you need to get depends on what you like to shoot. Do you think your lens is not wide enough at the moment? What is your preference? Do you shoot landscape, portraits ot architecture?

Where are you going? Is this going to be a photography trip or are you just bringing your camera along for snapshots? Maybe a combination of both? How much memory you need depends on how much you'd like to shoot but I can tell you, you'll never be sorry to have more than you need in that regards.

You need to ask yourself what you're going to do with your camera and assess accordingly. I'm sure poeple here can give you some recommendations once we know what you need. We can't decide for you.

i'll most probably go for as what you have stated landscape, protraits. i have no idea whether i'll need a wide angle lense as i never been to new zealand and i dnt know if its better to bring along one i.e if i have one, so that i can capture a so call much better pic. ;)
Well this is my honeymoon trip and of coz i hope to take as much memorable pics as possible and hence, i hope you guys can give me some advice to my limited amatuer skills. :D cheers

Then in that case, a wide angle lense is probably a good buy. You might like to get a circular polariser too. I'm sure others here would have a better idea on what to recommend. Enjoy your honeymoon.:)

I think of higher concern is the memory you have. In my opinion, 208mb may not be enough for a New Zealand trip. Assuming you take 3mp pictures at about 1mb each, that'll give you about 200 pictures, which is about 6 rolls of film. If possible, borrow more SM cards, or get an imagetank. It's quite an agony if you run out of memory halfway. Alternatively, you can bring a film camera as spare, or take at lower resolution and higher compression.

as for wide-angle lens, I find it hardly necessary, unless you are really 'on' about capturing the grand vastness of certain landscapes. I settled with the widest of 38mm of my c700uz during my US trip. When I find it not wide enough, I take two shots and stitch them up as panoramic. It's up to personal preference and standards actually, so what I did may not be totally applicable for you.

have a good trip and enjoy your honeymoon!

Originally posted by Kit
Then in that case, a wide angle lense is probably a good buy. You might like to get a circular polariser too. I'm sure others here would have a better idea on what to recommend. Enjoy your honeymoon.:)

well, that's what i been pondering. i managed to find 1 colleague to lend me his 128mb, so i'll have 316mb for 12 day trip :).

maybe i forget about the lense as tweek had said but should i bring along a tripod instead of a mini.. quite cumbersome to bring along :p

Well, I have an olympus mju, so I guess I can be an olympian... :)
my opinion is :
previously, I had a Canon G1, and I have with me teleconverter and wide-angle converter... during my travel, I find it a hassle to screw/unscrew the converters and in the end, had minimal use. Since its a honeymoon, just take your c720uz and enjoy yourself! However, I think a decent travel tripod would be good in your case esp to take shots of you and your partner ;) sometimes, u just can't trust a stranger to take a shot exactly as you wanted...

..NuTs..

Originally posted by kerwen
Hi olympians,
I'm using c-720uz and currently have these accessories only
1x16m, 2x32mb and a minitripod. I have decided to get another 128mb. Do you guys think i should get any wide angle lense or other type of lenses if deem suitable? Oh ya, i've already got 2 sets of rechargeable batt and charger. Lastly, does this DC have a option to change to a 3:2 format? Really appreciate any comments. Cheers

Originally posted by nuts
my opinion is :
previously, I had a Canon G1, and I have with me teleconverter and wide-angle converter... during my travel, I find it a hassle to screw/unscrew the converters and in the end, had minimal use. Since its a honeymoon, just take your c720uz and enjoy yourself! However, I think a decent travel tripod would be good in your case esp to take shots of you and your partner ;) sometimes, u just can't trust a stranger to take a shot exactly as you wanted...

..NuTs..

thanks nuts, advice noted. guess i will have little use for the lens after the trip anyway. i know some places dont allow tripod in the museum or certain places..whats the rationale behind? :dunno:

Originally posted by nuts
my opinion is :

..NuTs..

What could be considered a good travel tripod?

Originally posted by foxfire

What could be considered a good travel tripod?

Something that is sturdy and light perhaps?
I certainly don't want to spoil a trip by lugging around a heavy and cumbersome tripod, after all, we want to travel free and easy right? :)
But those would be those carbon fibre tripods i suppose...

Sometimes also depends on the type of travel; if you're on a self-drive holiday travel, then mabbe can afford a slightly heavier tripod that fits your luggage bag.... if on a backpacking trip, then being light may probably be more impt...

..NuTs..

Originally posted by SNAG

Something that is sturdy and light perhaps?
I certainly don't want to spoil a trip by lugging around a heavy and cumbersome tripod, after all, we want to travel free and easy right? :)
But those would be those carbon fibre tripods i suppose...

Hi, if u really cant get enuff mb to go on the trip....

Maybe u shld bring along a film pt n shoot cam ?

If not u be busy everynite tryin to delete all those shots u dun want..... =)

Originally posted by ckiang

If you can afford it, the G1001 and G1026 both are small, light, and sturdy. The 1001 costs $190 and the 1026 costs $200 odd, not cheap. :(

Regards
CK

can give more details on the tripods? brands? urls? thanks!

Originally posted by jimtong
Got this from the net

http://G1001

Remember to take more photo to share with us ;p

Happy Honeymoon!!!

thanks for the URL, looks like a very good tripod

file0005367.gif

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.