any advice for graphic card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron001

Sep 29, 2004
serangoon area
currently building a cpu for gaming, anyone got any recommendation for the following? seems like recent games like 1/2 life and doom 3 require really good video card.

Depends on how much u wanna spend on the setup! (Alamak, sound like buying cam like that!!) :)

If u are not too picky about the graphics, any $3-400 graphics card can do the job, just be prepared not to see all the eye candy that the games are capable of. I'm using a ATI Radeon 9600GT and the game is smooth...

If u are picky, then the top would be the Geforce 6800GT Ultra or the ATI Radeon X800 Ultra, which are in the $1,000 region. Having a good CPU, lotsa RAM, and a fast HDD also play a part in the enjoyment of the games!

Cheers!

the newest tech in the street is PCI Express which replaces AGP. Top dog is Radeon AX800XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express. Probably a cool S$1,000++. Hah!

I'm quoting from my fav gaming mag's killer rig setup: Asus P5AD2 Premium 925X P4 800FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX.

Cybermind has it. S$829/- (apprx. 1 mth ago)

actually was wondering if geforce nvidia 6600gt will do the job? was thinking of getting the pci-e one along with an asus or gigabyte motherboard. probably whole sys will be like: p4 3.0, 512mb ram, 80gb sata HDD.....other than the motherboard and the graphic card, don't mind used parts for the rest. so $1k possible?

Doom 2 and half life 2 will work with normal 3D card.....just that it will not look so good and run so smooth :D

Anyhow first of all you have to draft up what CPU(AMD or Intel) you will be getting as it will affect the motherboard type eventually....I advice you read up a few recommendation(no need to copy exactly but at least you shoud be able to start drawing the shopping list) here so that you have a picture what your system will eventually like :)

http://www.hardwarezone.com/microsite/RUG2005/index.shtml

For mid range (cost around $2k) ... An AGP version of Ati 9600xt ($200+) is very good liao for day to day usage and moderate gaming...I think getting a good monitor or display is more vital.....but if you intend to hardcore gaming then go with the highest end like X800 or Nvidia 6800 series...but the Graphic card alone will sets you back by $1k liao :think:

aaron001 said:
actually was wondering if geforce nvidia 6600gt will do the job? was thinking of getting the pci-e one along with an asus or gigabyte motherboard. probably whole sys will be like: p4 3.0, 512mb ram, 80gb sata HDD.....other than the motherboard and the graphic card, don't mind used parts for the rest. so $1k possible?

i recc more RAM. at least 1 gig. ;p

thanks guys, some other friends also told me to get 1gb ram. anyway will look ard sim lim, anyone have got a shop to recommend?

Big Kahuna said:
Doom 2 and half life 2 will work with normal 3D card.....just that it will not look so good and run so smooth :D

Anyhow first of all you have to draft up what CPU(AMD or Intel) you will be getting as it will affect the motherboard type eventually....I advice you read up a few recommendation(no need to copy exactly but at least you shoud be able to start drawing the shopping list) here so that you have a picture what your system will eventually like :)

http://www.hardwarezone.com/microsite/RUG2005/index.shtml

For mid range (cost around $2k) ... An AGP version of Ati 9600xt ($200+) is very good liao for day to day usage and moderate gaming...I think getting a good monitor or display is more vital.....but if you intend to hardcore gaming then go with the highest end like X800 or Nvidia 6800 series...but the Graphic card alone will sets you back by $1k liao :think:

doom 3 you mean... :sweatsm:

Another forum to go to for advice is - http://forums.hardwarezone.com/index.php

You really need to decide what you want to do with the computer and how much you want to spend on it. Also need to determine the performance/price ratio. Normally a top end graphics card is very very expensive when just released.

Why do you choose Intel and not AMD?

Here's an evil idea, if u intend to get a 6600GT, get a mobo with dual PCI-E slots... so instead of upgrading the graphics card in the future, just buy another 6600GT (which would be cheaper then) and slot it in and run them SLI-mode!! It'll definitely kick some funky butt!!

And for your HDD, if u are playing games as well as doing some photoshop... get the biggest and fastest that u can afford... Half-Life 2 already takes up 3-4GB!

Always remember that the fastest speed that ur computer can run depends on the slowest component!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

I'm playing HL2 1280x1024 res on a cheapo Radeon 9800SE with softmod to open up the the extra 4 pipelines, oc about 10% on both core/mem. You won't get all the eye candy though. :)

Azrielsc said:
And for your HDD, if u are playing games as well as doing some photoshop... get the biggest and fastest that u can afford... Half-Life 2 already takes up 3-4GB!

if you keep your images on HDD, do consider getting get least TWO HDD for disk mirror. HDDs are so cheap these days there is no excuse for losing pics due to HDD failure.

160GB 7200rpm SATA disk less than $160 (that was a few months ago, got the 160GB because the 200GB was out of stock ;( ) and a dual-port SATA card only $45.

Azrielsc said:
If u are picky, then the top would be the Geforce 6800GT Ultra or the ATI Radeon X800 Ultra, which are in the $1,000 region. Having a good CPU, lotsa RAM, and a fast HDD also play a part in the enjoyment of the games!

erm...there are no GeForce 6800GT Ultra nor Radeon X800 Ultra exist.

the closest i can think of is GeForce 6800 Ultra and Radeon X800 XT PE

i got both and i like the X800XT more, 6800 Ultra too bulky and power consuming

Status
Not open for further replies.