Any advantage using Dual-Core CPU in CS2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvinch

Mar 19, 2005
Hi, folks

I'm currently setting up a DI company in Sawadeekarp land and contemplating between using dual-core CPU and single-core.

Anyone any advice ?

Cheers !

melvinch said:
Hi, folks

I'm currently setting up a DI company in Sawadeekarp land and contemplating between using dual-core CPU and single-core.

Anyone any advice ?

Cheers !

I do not find much significant gain. I am running a P4 with 2GB ram (single core) and another one 4GB (dual core), on windowsXP.

Do a search on this forum.
There's one thread with people posting their Photoshop processing times with their computer specifications.

You'll have your conclusion.

From what I've read, it's not much of a significant gain esp. when you're not likely to be using it for multi-tasking.

Ram & HDD speed are probably more important.

In CS2? The speed difference between say, single and dual core processors of the same clock speed when you use filters and resize large images is quite significant. But that is provided you have at least 1GB RAM to begin with.

So for good performance in CS, you should spend more on RAM first, followed by a faster or dual core processor. If you can afford to have both, that is the best setup, ie. 2GB RAM and dual core processor with high clockspeed. If not, get 2GB RAM first for the best performance your $$$ can afford.

If you are working and listening to music or playing DVD at the same time .. the Dual core is the one to get.

If not, they are not much different. More RAM and fast n big HDD are still better.
But with the dual core price slowly dropping, might as well get the Dual core :p

There isn't much gain to be had from dual-cores. A high FSB/ PSB and raw memory bandwidth will give more benefits than simply having a Dual-core processor. Do remember that dual-core processors share the memory bandwidth.
It's only when you get Xeon or Opteron class processors with motherboards that give each (physical) processor it's own memory channel that you really see significant gains. Note that this also means you need at least 4 sticks of ram (2 per processor).

Getting a dualie would be good for the immediate future as it is not much more expensive...and with CS3 and Windows Vista just "around the corner" (2nd quarter next year), might be good to have some future proofing...

but if you're gonna be handling large files soon, might be better to get more RAM, a fast hard drive for a scratch drive (a 10,000RPM monster should be good)...really, it depends on your needs and budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.