any 5060 user doing IR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beivied

May 8, 2003
East, Singapore
Hello :)

been reading this subforum a bit these two days... quite interesting, got me tempted to want to try try, hehehhee...

read that the list of IR capable cameras include c5050, and c5060 should be able to as well.... any existing IR photographers here using c5060?

Also wondering, whats the main difficulty that you face when taking/processing IR photos?

Thanks ;)

beivied said:
Hello :)

been reading this subforum a bit these two days... quite interesting, got me tempted to want to try try, hehehhee...

read that the list of IR capable cameras include c5050, and c5060 should be able to as well.... any existing IR photographers here using c5060?

Also wondering, whats the main difficulty that you face when taking/processing IR photos?

Thanks ;)

Yo deivied,

Good to see you in here ... tempted to try?

Don't think anyone have used the 5060 for IR here. But Max2.8 used to use the 5050 and he got good results with it. If the 5060 uses the same sensor as the 5050 then should be no problem.
His post here.
His shots done with the 5050 are HERE

Anyway can always test it out. Don't buy any IR filter yet, can always come along in our outings, can loan you one to try. Many of us have more than one IR filter of different sizes and make.

Problems shooting IR ??? No problems at all, except that we need very strong sunlight (cannot use strobes hor), and you must be able to endure heat. One more, tripod is not a must but a neccessity (uw casing not neccessary), depending on how steady your hands are or unless you have one of those modified IR cameras like some of the guys here.

Come, Come.

maybe try IR for uw photography?? :bsmilie:

cannot come this sunday leh, got class in the morning... see future outings got chance or not lo ... looks pretty interesting to me. gives a subject an entirely new feel and perspective ..

how much are these filters? i see the lifepixel filter pretty ex (to me).. usd95.... thats about sgd160 before shipment costs leh ..

beivied said:

cannot come this sunday leh, got class in the morning... see future outings got chance or not lo ... looks pretty interesting to me. gives a subject an entirely new feel and perspective ..

how much are these filters? i see the lifepixel filter pretty ex (to me).. usd95.... thats about sgd160 before shipment costs leh ..

Most IR filters vary in price to the diameter size.

Hoya R72: 52mm approx S$38/-, 67mm approx S$80/- available at the usual retailers
Cokin P007: 3" x 3" square resin S$30/-

Others: Tiffen#87, B+W, Lee, etc have to order like the Life Pixel one.

Join us if you can for future outings.

beivied said:
IR may not be suitable for UW photography. I would think that you would have better success with UV photography when you are underwater as most creatures there reflect UV in very interesting ways.

Cheers,
Matt

teerex said:
Most IR filters vary in price to the diameter size.

Hoya R72: 52mm approx S$38/-, 67mm approx S$80/- available at the usual retailers
Cokin P007: 3" x 3" square resin S$30/-

Others: Tiffen#87, B+W, Lee, etc have to order like the Life Pixel one.

Join us if you can for future outings.

ok ok .. if i am ok with a try at future outings (on loaned filter? :) ) then i buy the 52mm... subsequently buy 67mm for uw :bsmilie:

how did you guys get yourselves hooked on IR anyway? :)

deadpixel said:
IR may not be suitable for UW photography.

I would think that you would have better success with UV photography when you are underwater as most creatures there reflect UV in very interesting ways.

Cheers,
Matt

your first and second sentence a bit contradicting leh ;p not suitable but may have better success underwater? :think:

beivied said:
your first and second sentence a bit contradicting leh ;p not suitable but may have better success underwater? :think:
He meant UV would have better success UW

ark19 said:
He meant UV would have better success UW

ohhhhhhhhh... paiseh paiseh ... haha...

then what is UV photography? :sweatsm:

*what a blur moderator.....sorry ah, i only do uw, hehe*

beivied said:
:bsmilie:

Ok, as ark said, what I meant was...Ahhh let's just drop the acronyms and type everything in full...

Infrared (IR) may not be suitable for Underwater (UW) photography.

I would think that you would have better success with Ultraviolet (UV) photography when you are Underwater (UW) as most creatures there reflect Ultraviolet (UV) in very interesting ways.

But if you don't know what Ultraviolet (UV) photography is then check out...

http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev00.html#top_page

Cheers,
Matt

such big words ... :sweat:

haha, i was just reading this website ;)

why would IR be unsuitable for uw leh? (nt that i really wanna do it la, but just curious...) does it require long exposure?

beivied said:
how did you guys get yourselves hooked on IR anyway? :)

About a year ago, saw some IR pics posted in other sites/forums and decided to try out with my then CP5700. Bought a Hoya R72, 52mm and tried it. Was pleased with the results, but then had some negative views. I could only get BnW IR pics and that cam won't AF with the R72 on.

Then when D70 was launched, decided to get it and try IR again. This cam works beautifully for IR photography. From then on there was not stopping, have been shooting IR mostly.

BEWARE! IR IS ADDICTIVE

teerex said:
About a year ago, saw some IR pics posted in other sites/forums and decided to try out with my then CP5700. Bought a Hoya R72, 52mm and tried it. Was pleased with the results, but then had some negative views. I could only get BnW IR pics and that cam won't AF with the R72 on.

Then when D70 was launched, decided to get it and try IR again. This cam works beautifully for IR photography. From then on there was not stopping, have been shooting IR mostly.

BEWARE! IR IS ADDICTIVE

you bought D70 just for IR? :bigeyes:

teerex said:
tripod is not a must but a neccessity (uw casing not neccessary), depending on how steady your hands are or unless you have one of those modified IR cameras like some of the guys here.

Come, Come.

hmm, if tripod is a necessity, it will be out for uw, cos you hardly get that kinda stability when you are in the waters .. hands not that steady ;p

hope your sunday shoot will be good fun and great success! ;)

beivied said:
you bought D70 just for IR? :bigeyes:

No lah! Not mainly for IR, was wanting a DSLR at that time. But it's mainly used for IR now. Will wait till I have a little more money, to buy another body then will modify D70 for IR only (D70i)

Status
Not open for further replies.