Ants in DSLR

snapdh

Dec 25, 2009
Just curious cause i just encountered a rather disturbing ants infestation running out from my dslr~ has anyone encountered this before? or any sort of insect infestation on your dslr?

I found quite a number of those tiny ants, around 10~20++ ants running out from my camera's battery compartment, specifically from that tiny crevice of the CR2xxx battery compartment (btw my cam body is a 50D). Now heres the weird thing, i cant find the source of where and how the ants got into my body~!! Frantic~I looked at my dry cabinet no ants, my camera bag no ants. Then i try to recall during the day when i brought my camera out for shooting, i dun remember leaving my bag with the camera lying on the floor for more den >1/2hr, how can so many ants all ran into the same crevice within my camera in such short time if i am out shooting?!! sigh~

Finally after about an hour of hunting around and blowing off those ants out of my camera i think i managed to cleared all of them out~ lucky thing is i didnt see any ants having infiltrated my sensor and lens compartment... Took my camera to shoot a few dozen pictures to make sure my camera's integrity wasnt compromised by those pesky lil'insects....

Just curious cause i just encountered a rather disturbing ants infestation running out from my dslr~ has anyone encountered this before? or any sort of insect infestation on your dslr?

I found quite a number of those tiny ants, around 10~20++ ants running out from my camera's battery compartment, specifically from that tiny crevice of the CR2xxx battery compartment (btw my cam body is a 50D). Now heres the weird thing, i cant find the source of where and how the ants got into my body~!! Frantic~I looked at my dry cabinet no ants, my camera bag no ants. Then i try to recall during the day when i brought my camera out for shooting, i dun remember leaving my bag with the camera lying on the floor for more den >1/2hr, how can so many ants all ran into the same crevice within my camera in such short time if i am out shooting?!! sigh~

Finally after about an hour of hunting around and blowing off those ants out of my camera i think i managed to cleared all of them out~ lucky thing is i didnt see any ants having infiltrated my sensor and lens compartment... Took my camera to shoot a few dozen pictures to make sure my camera's integrity wasnt compromised by those pesky lil'insects....

What did u do to yr camera? I put mine in the dry cabinet and is always clean as i always clean it after every use.

sweet gears u got there.
just be more careful next time.

No idea how the ants got into my camera, but i suspect is the EM radiation from the battery compartment that attracted the ants there :dunno: but my camera is lucky to have escaped unscathed...

Welcome to CS :)
I've encountered such ants before but not in my DSLR. They built their nest & hide in there. Did you see any white particles when you blew them off? They might be the same kind of ants. Yuks ..................:eek:

actually my old laptop had the same situation.. always saw a random ant running around on my screen.. just get rid of the ants and hope for the best! so long as its still working it shud be fine.. do remember to keep it in a dry cabinet..

Wonder if TS is into macro/insects photography. Those were probably your entourage, who wanted to be in the picture too!

Hope they don't return, but make sure you don't place anything food/sweets inside your camera bag/dry box.

Cheers! Lots of luck!

Ding

i only encounterd that when i shoot macro~ :bsmilie:
Norm cam mantainance and storing in Dry cab/box wont encounter that.. :)
Sweet gears must be .. hee..

I spray insect repellent on my bag so that no ants will want to crawl to my bag when I leave them on the ground.

Ants dun like dry box, thats why they start to crawl out if they are place inside the dry box. If you travel to china you find that you cannot find any crawling ants or insects on the road because of the dry atmosphere.

I found that ants love electronic equipment especially those tiny red ants. My gameboy was infested with massive ants when I leave it on the cupboard at my old house!!! :sweat:

weird. why is that so? or they just love the tiny holes and tunnels electronic products have?

Just air your gear for a day or two and let the ants run out... should be fine afterwards :thumbsup:

Yup did just tt, and now my cam looks fine and shoots fine haha, just found it extremely weird how they even appeared in my cam seemingly out from nowhere~

You sure this is not your camera? If it is, no wonder the ants came
your camera here

Just fire your camera at its fastest speed in continuous mode & see the ants fall off...................... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Use ant bait if problem persist