anti-virus problem HELP PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob117

Oct 16, 2006
west
i have norton anti virus 2006
after updating n restarting the com, they disabled my product and asked me to activate it.
i needed the CD key but the program came wif the com. so got no CD cover so no CD key.
HELP PLS!!!!!!!
thx

after updating n restarting the com, they disabled my product and asked me to activate it.
i needed the CD key but the program came wif the com. so got no CD cover so no CD key.
HELP PLS!!!!!!!
thx
most comp manufacturer like acer/hp... etc only give you a trial period of 90days for norton anti virus... after that you gotta buy it, and renew every yr.

The Product Key is provided as part of the activation process. Be sure to save your Product Key by creating or signing in to your Norton Account, or by printing the key. You will need the Product key if you ever want to reinstall your product.

If you set up a norton account you can find your key number there.

install AVG Anti-Virus Free from:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free
for the time being while trying to resolve the activation issue

call up Symantec Retail Customer Service: 1800 680 026
explain to them your copy of Norton AV 2006 was shipped with the machine and had been disabled post system update

if Symantec is unable to activate your product, call up your computer company and enquire about reinstallation of Norton AV 2006

if all fails, stick to AVG

HELP PLS!!!!!!!
thx

HELP PLS!!!!!!!
thx

As far as I know, Norton Anti Virus also arrange to bundle their s/w with PC makers. And usually they are not full version and mostly trial version unless stated clearly that it is a full one year version. How long have you had the norton AV 2006 installed on your PC? If it has already pass the one year mark whether you update or not..it will not let you update the viral listing...etc But you can still use it but you get persky reminders that you need to renew another year of use via the internet with your credit card..etc. If it gets disable it could also mean your norton was a fake? It could also be a false positive. Meaning for some reason after the update, the updated engine thinks your norton is not real and could have disable it. I know this also happens with XP...it happen to me twice.

I junk my norton 2 yrs now. It is becoming very very bloated ware. It may surprise you to notice that once you have norton or McAfee uninstalled from your PC...it is actually quite abit faster! It uses alot of your CPU and ram resources. More and more tech ppl are staying away from these two especially and also more viral writers are targetting them and have managed to hack norton especially and trick it not only into letting virus or spy ware in but also has the ability to disable it too. That too could be the reason. One tell-tale sign is after it stop loading or some error message appear, if you hover your cursor over the norton icon in the bottom right corner, the icon will disappear. It is a good signal of a viral attack that has already got into your system...time to uninstall and reinstall.

If you really can not reinstall Norton....I would advice you check out AVG or NOD32. I am using NOD32 and it is really good. Fast and takes up so little space and when it updates itself, it does it so simple and quite you would not even notice that it is doing so. AVG has a free version is I am not wrong. Check the web for more details.

the guy from the shop did not say is a full or trial
but i guess it is not a trial coz in subcribtions days left, it stated like over 500 days. since
22/1/2006. but like u guys said they will not disable it even though there is no subscription.
i juz use AVG free at the moment.
:D

trial version for 1yr... so good ar, mine only 3 mths:cry: but lucky i got other anti-virus... :bsmilie:

the guy from the shop did not say is a full or trial
but i guess it is not a trial coz in subcribtions days left, it stated like over 500 days. since
22/1/2006. but like u guys said they will not disable it even though there is no subscription.
i juz use AVG free at the moment.
:D

500 days? heheh that is too good a deal man heheh....90 days is the norm for trials. 12 month would be the maximum for some really super deal for the PC heheh but 500 days? Sound like your version was hacked heh..

Anyway....AVG is a good choice. Stay with that.

:think: .. Go buy NOD32 ... only $35 ... very effective.

hi noob117, just in case If you are thinking of buying an anti-virus program, you can refer here to know more

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Of course, do more research also from PCworld and PCmag and gather all the common good points. And from there get the one you like best.

I am using bitdefender (internet security) :)

wif norton disabled i can feel tt my com is faster hehe.
does AVG free scan for virus before opening files like norton?

I thought AVG no longer offers free version. Am now using Avast.

That was what some folks were worried about recently. But I heard it on DL.TV that that is not true. They stop support version 7.1 which will expire in Feb 07. They want you to upgrade to their other free version which is 7.5. They just want you to use their more later version of the software. Check out their website for more details.

wif norton disabled i can feel tt my com is faster hehe.
does AVG free scan for virus before opening files like norton?

Here are some details and yes it will check all files coming into your system or when you are about to open it.

What you get with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
  • Easy to install and use
  • Real-time antivirus protection of files and e-mails
  • Maximum security — recent certifications include VB100%, ICSA, and West Coast Labs Checkmark
  • Regular and automatic database and program updates
What you do not get with the FREE version (of course you can not get everything for free lah hehe)
  • Protection against spyware and identity-theft
  • Protection against spam
  • Protection against hackers
  • 24x7 Technical Support
  • High-speed updates
  • Multiple languages
  • Detailed settings
  • Consent for commercial use

Okay enough help liao heh...beside I am a NOD32 fan lah!

If you wan free...

Use AVG + ZA. That should block most virus but not spyware.

Spyware, I'm not very sure, tried some free anti-spyware but like no use.

avast for me... free, not as bloated as norton, doesn't eat up a lot of ram, able to scan torrent(while downloading)... etc. :thumbsup:

I thought AVG no longer offers free version. Am now using Avast.

Still offering free, you have to hunt harder.

Well, mine's still free, so..

At least for consumer, personal version la.. I don't think there's any free business version in the first place.. =D

For Spyware, AVG also has anti-spyware.. Don't know if it works, but my computer is a 1.6 Celeron, runs faster than my brother's Dual crap, hahahha. It's sad how much difference taking care of your computer makes. =D

Still offering free, you have to hunt harder.

Well, mine's still free, so..

At least for consumer, personal version la.. I don't think there's any free business version in the first place.. =D

For Spyware, AVG also has anti-spyware.. Don't know if it works, but my computer is a 1.6 Celeron, runs faster than my brother's Dual crap, hahahha. It's sad how much difference taking care of your computer makes. =D

haha i guess so . got a laptop at home
1.2ghz 256mb ram not a single game installed b4
still as fast as a p4 2.4ghz 640mb but tt has lots of programs...
i DL avg anti spy ware thingy from evido.net n i guess its better then
lavasoft as it got some stuff lava din...:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.