Anti-shake function. Casio or panasonic better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p7m13

Sep 30, 2005
For the anti-shake function is Casio or Panasonic better? I have about $500 to spare and wanna jump into buying a digicam with the antishake function as I prefer to take photos indoors WITHOUT flash.

Does the anti-shake function really work wonders or is it just really exaggerated?

I still don't know or understand how Casio achieve their anti-shake, but Panasonic and Minolta are both good. I have FZ5 and KM 5D.

It doesn't work wonders but it does give u an approximate 2 stop advantage, depending on how shaky your hands are la... I dunno about other brands but I'm using a Panasonic FZ20 & I think the difference is definitely there.

If you're using it alot for indoors, everyone recommends the Fuji F10. Since it has low noise at high ISO, u can set faster shutter speeds in dim lighting, which in turn eliminates handshake.

another choice without antishake function, but with high (acceptable)ISO is F10 Fujifilm, but they are coming out with a more manual control version of F11 in November or December soon.
All are good for low light shooting.

zcf said:
I still don't know or understand how Casio achieve their anti-shake, but Panasonic and Minolta are both good. I have FZ5 and KM 5D.

Yah me neither. What's "DSP" Anti-shake? I only know two types. Adjusting lens elements or sensor to counter the shake.

Bobman said:
The best anti shake brand to buy is "Tripod".

True. The antishake/whatever function that involves gyros/moving lens parts do not work the way they're advertised. Take for example that Panasonic ad with skaters/moving people. You'll still get blurred photos because the image stabilizer only takes away image blur due to slow shutter speeds from handshake, not the moving people themselves. You still need a fast shutter speed to capture movement. Only the other antishake that involves pumping up the ISO will work but it won't be that great either depending on the situation. And the tradeoff is that you get more "noise" in the photo.

litefoot said:
Yah me neither. What's "DSP" Anti-shake? I only know two types. Adjusting lens elements or sensor to counter the shake.

The first type relies on moving sensors/lens elements to counter handshake. The other kind just pumps up the ISO (and has relatively lower noise comparable to dSLRs, eg. Fujifilm Finepix F10) to increase light sensitivity to try to give you a faster shutter speed.

I tried the FX7 before and was mislead that anti-shake is a miracle drug. Its not. It is better compared to none but photo means light and without light, you get low contrast shadow in face photos... actually depends.. but if i would recommend, go for Panasonic.

n0d3 said:
The first type relies on moving sensors/lens elements to counter handshake. The other kind just pumps up the ISO (and has relatively lower noise comparable to dSLRs, eg. Fujifilm Finepix F10) to increase light sensitivity to try to give you a faster shutter speed.

You serious? This is what DSP anti-shake is about? Geee... I can automatically trigger the flash and call that anti-shake too.

litefoot said:
You serious? This is what DSP anti-shake is about? Geee... I can automatically trigger the flash and call that anti-shake too.
Triggering the flash won't remove handshake...

Anyway, the best is to practice your hand-holding technique so that you can hand-hold steadily at slower shutter speeds. I've achieved 1/10 handheld with my 24-70 so far...:)

zcf said:
another choice without antishake function, but with high (acceptable)ISO is F10 Fujifilm, but they are coming out with a more manual control version of F11 in November or December soon.
All are good for low light shooting.

agree

IMO, AS/IS/VR are pretty useless

I have tried all the models that have antishaken or stabliser function....but their performance at high ISO are very poor

in the end, i got myself the F10...no stabliser but with usable pic at high ISO, i can still take pic at low light condition with shutter speed fast enough to freeze motion and prevent handshake altogther

Wai said:
agree

IMO, AS/IS/VR are pretty useless

I have tried all the models that have antishaken or stabliser function....but their performance at high ISO are very poor

in the end, i got myself the F10...no stabliser but with usable pic at high ISO, i can still take pic at low light condition with shutter speed fast enough to freeze motion and prevent handshake altogther

I have not extensively used any P&S AS but I find that the VR lens that I have for my SLR is serving its purpose. Some times those little shake due to hand hold is hard to see in the pix until it is substantially enlarged. Perhaps I have weak arms, I find that I can even hand shake at 1/60 on a 50mm. VR does a lot of wonders for me. It could be a bad thing, it makes me reluctant to set up a tripod.

n0d3 said:
True. The antishake/whatever function that involves gyros/moving lens parts do not work the way they're advertised. Take for example that Panasonic ad with skaters/moving people. You'll still get blurred photos because the image stabilizer only takes away image blur due to slow shutter speeds from handshake, not the moving people themselves. You still need a fast shutter speed to capture movement. Only the other antishake that involves pumping up the ISO will work but it won't be that great either depending on the situation. And the tradeoff is that you get more "noise" in the photo.

can complain to case for misleading the cosumer? :p

I would say AS, IS, VR, Mega OIS are all convenient antishake function, if you don't want to pump up ISO or lazy to bring out tripod or monopod.

But with high ISO of DSLR plus anti-shake function :devil: , you can shoot even better without shake in low light condition, like double protection :bsmilie: . That's why I have chosen KM 5D with built in AS.

Wai said:
can complain to case for misleading the cosumer? :p

Actually I think its VERYVERY misleading. Hmmm, haha, see how. ;p Should screen the advert for any fine print but most if not all things you see on most adverts are stimulated.

Bah... and in the adverts they make it look like you could skateboard and take photos at the same time without getting blur shots!

Actually I did ride horse and shoot with FZ5 at the same time before, and the photo turn out ok, sharp enough, but it was in a bright afternoon, so I am not sure it's the fast shutter time or Mega OIS did help a bit or not.:think:

Bright afternoon = enough light = fast shutter speed = no need for any stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.