Anti-leech socks

Stuffed

Dec 1, 2008
Anyone knows where to get them in Singapore? Google isn't any help, while the lead on botanical gardens shop proved not accurate anymore.

Beach road army stores. :)

Bring salt

If you really can't find any leech socks, one way to get by is to spray your socks at the sections above the ankles with ample insects repellent e.g. "Off". This will slow down the leeches when they try to climb up and you can spot and remove them. I'd done this many times. :)

Bring salt

If you really can't find any leech socks, one way to get by is to spray your socks at the sections above the ankles with ample insects repellent e.g. "Off". This will slow down the leeches when they try to climb up and you can spot and remove them. I'd done this many times. :)

But salt soaked socks and insect repellent will be washed off if it rains. So leech socks will probably be the best defence? :)

Not too worry about rain cos you would be wearing poncho which would keep the socks more or less dry. But yup it would wash off if you cross rivers. But you can just spray again. :) For me I never use any leech socks during the old days when I trek regularly in Malaysia jungles. Anyway don't worry too much about leeches. They are part of the trekking experience and are pretty harmless. :)

Stuffed said:
But salt soaked socks and insect repellent will be washed off if it rains. So leech socks will probably be the best defence? :)

Don't go salt soaking your socks. Use it to get the leeches off. You'll never escape them, it's all part of the jungle experience.

Try nature niche, got mine from there.

:: Welcome To Nature's Niche ::

Nature's Niche at Orchidville
10 Lorong Lada Hitam (off Mandai Road)
Singapore 778793
Tel: 65-6475 2319
Fax: 65-6455 1733
We are open daily 10:00am-5:30pm. Sunday 11:00am-5:30pm. Closed Saturday, Monday and public holidays.

Additional notes:

If you are going to Malaysia, try getting the mosi-guard spray (Most decent supermarket should sell). Leeches tends to stay off from your shoes with that.

Alternatively, I heard there is formula for making leech socks. Soak your socks in water with tobacco leaves overnight and dry them.

If the leech gets onto you, salt + vinegar combi spray seems deadly.

Try macshop.com.sg
Macshop Pte Ltd
160 Paya Lebar Road #08-08 Orion@payalebar
Singapore 409022
Tel: 65 63341633

Can also apply pepper powder around your sock!

ah, as a 1st timer contemplating trekking into Malaysian jungle 3 years ago i tended to over-react to images of leeches hanging onto our limbs (What a ghastly sight leeches are, i thought then)
Went to great lengths in the short time available before the trip to hunt down local sources of suppliers of anti-leech stockings, to no avail.
My fellow bird photographers on the trip to Fraser's Hill made light of the matter when i enquired of their previous encounters with leeches, so i just wore normal birding camouflage clothing as they did. Yes. i was bitten by a leech but was only aware of it long after a foray into Bishop'sTrail; only upon returning to the lodging later did I notice 2 spots of coagulated blood at my ankle. Then i found that leech bites are nothing but a storm in a teacup.