Anti Dust Comparison Oly Vs Sony


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
499
0
16
#1
the dpreview guys had pointed out some links regarding the issue. very interesting read. ;)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1022&thread=19439193

copied links from the first post of dpreview

E-1 sensor dust before and after activating the SSWF:
(move mouse over picture)

http://manfred-paul.de/Experimente/sensor.htm

compare this to the anti dust system on the Sony Alpha:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=468
 

plastic

Deregistered
Aug 19, 2004
700
0
0
In A Suitcase
#2
Nice to know that Oly did take pride in making their sensors clean... Those Sony Alpha early adopters would have been a little disappointed after seeing this test... or would have already found out after a few shooting sessions in dusty places.
 

snapperkid

New Member
Jun 20, 2006
181
0
0
Bukit Batok
#4
hmmm... seems like Olympus' Dust Reduction is better than Sony's! Sony's is like almost useless!
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#5
I found it hard to believe that it would work when Sony announced that they would be using the CCD moving mechanism for image stabilisation to shake dust off the hot mirror but thought we should give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for the reviews to confirm the viability of such a cleaning system.

The ephotozine review is the second such review that cast doubt on the practicality of the anti-dust system of the A100. Another reviewer has also stated the same observation although he did not post photographic proof of it like in the ephotozine review.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyA100/page6.shtml
 

MichaelLee

Senior Member
May 19, 2003
3,558
5
38
JB, SG
#6
tomcat said:
I found it hard to believe that it would work when Sony announced that they would be using the CCD moving mechanism for image stabilisation to shake dust off the hot mirror but thought we should give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for the reviews to confirm the viability of such a cleaning system.

imagine this...every time u off the cameram, your CCD is going through several thousands shake...

after 1 months, your CCD is seriously shaked by million times...I wonder the CCD alignment will still be correctly in place...??
 

zcf

Senior Member
Apr 10, 2005
6,741
0
0
270 degree of Singapore
#8
no offended, I do aware of Sony marketing do overclaim sometime, which unlike KM, but I am indeed surpise to see the anti-static dust reduction don't really seem to work well (thinking of upgrade to next DSLR after Alpha 100) :cry: . But also quite surprise to see Olympus one didn't manage to clean a lot of dusts in ephotozine also.
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#9
I think those of us who have owned DSLRs that required regular CCD cleaning before and now use Olympus DSLRs are not under any delusion that the Olympus ultrasonic cleaning system would prevent permanently any dust from accumulating on the CCD. There are some dust particles that are particularly adhesive and these are the ones that are very resistant to CCD cleaning in other brands of DSLRs. The majority of the dust particles are non-sticky and can be shaken off easily with the ultrasonic cleaning system, but if they are allowed to stay for long on the CCD, they could become more sticky and difficult to remove later on. It would seem that it is the effectiveness of the removal of these kind of particles by the Sony and Olympus CCD cleaning systems that appeared to be highlighted in the photos posted in the ephotozone review.
 

drakon09

New Member
Aug 12, 2005
3,877
0
0
#10
zcf said:
no offended, I do aware of Sony marketing do overclaim sometime, which unlike KM, but I am indeed surpise to see the anti-static dust reduction don't really seem to work well (thinking of upgrade to next DSLR after Alpha 100) :cry: . But also quite surprise to see Olympus one didn't manage to clean a lot of dusts in ephotozine also.

Well the test done there was a bit on the extreme. Under most conditions (if not all) the sensor wouldn't be left exposed for hours on end.

It's a bit like my room, left untidied for months it takes a real long time to clean it up. Cleaning it up every day keeps the room nice and neat. ;)

What the test showed was that Sony's system hardly shook off a speck; to paraphrase the tester, the bigger pieces rotated.
 

dr34mc4st3r

Senior Member
May 2, 2003
1,853
0
0
Singapore
www.konvergestudio.com
#11
a trusty blower is still the best option for me :bsmilie:

anyway the anti-dust feature is just something extra....what i would like sony to do is to be like nikon, take a dust reference photo then can eliminate all the other photos dust presence.

anyway wrong forum for me to talk too much also :bsmilie:
 

cjtune

New Member
Mar 20, 2006
1,519
0
0
#12
wong_se said:
imagine this...every time u off the cameram, your CCD is going through several thousands shake...

after 1 months, your CCD is seriously shaked by million times...I wonder the CCD alignment will still be correctly in place...??
I think it's a transparent membrane that's in front of the CCD that's shaken, not the CCD itself.

Also, that's why you shouldn't try to clean Olympus E-series CCDs yourself, for serious dust deposits, as you might damage the membrane (so said the Olympus rep).
 

drakon09

New Member
Aug 12, 2005
3,877
0
0
#13
dr34mc4st3r said:
a trusty blower is still the best option for me :bsmilie:

anyway the anti-dust feature is just something extra....what i would like sony to do is to be like nikon, take a dust reference photo then can eliminate all the other photos dust presence.

anyway wrong forum for me to talk too much also :bsmilie:

Awww, it's not like us Olympians to eat you up...

The KEY thing is to have a feature that works. SSWF works, Nikon's dust reference photo system works, the Sony anti-dust well...

I'm probably biased here, but IMHO Sony are like diamonds, terribly expensive, beautifully packaged, but not very useful, UNLESS of course you're in the mining business and use diamonds to make drill bits... :p
 

zcf

Senior Member
Apr 10, 2005
6,741
0
0
270 degree of Singapore
#14
drakon09 said:
Awww, it's not like us Olympians to eat you up...

The KEY thing is to have a feature that works. SSWF works, Nikon's dust reference photo system works, the Sony anti-dust well...

I'm probably biased here, but IMHO Sony are like diamonds, terribly expensive, beautifully packaged, but not very useful, UNLESS of course you're in the mining business and use diamonds to make drill bits... :p
It actually depends on what a person want for their DLSR, for me Anti-shake built in the body is more important than smaller body and Zuiko lens of 4/3 system, as I find it more useful, to other people it may seem like a beautiful useless stone only. But other minor bits like ergonomic, reasonable noise etc do add up to firming my decision on choosing which system. :)
 

Jul 30, 2005
499
0
16
#16
ya mine too.. dusty viewfinder.. will have to blow compressed air inside to move it around and hope its gone somewhere (not on the sensor!!) so i wont notice. :bsmilie:
 

drakon09

New Member
Aug 12, 2005
3,877
0
0
#17
zcf said:
It actually depends on what a person want for their DLSR, for me Anti-shake built in the body is more important than smaller body and Zuiko lens of 4/3 system, as I find it more useful, to other people it may seem like a beautiful useless stone only. But other minor bits like ergonomic, reasonable noise etc do add up to firming my decision on choosing which system. :)
People were taking beautiful photos pre DSLR using manual rangefinders, noisy film, sans stuff like image stabilization and noise reduction.

One thing they didn't had to deal with was dust on film. :bsmilie:
 

Dec 4, 2004
747
0
0
Medieval Period...
#18
drakon09 said:
Well the test done there was a bit on the extreme. Under most conditions (if not all) the sensor wouldn't be left exposed for hours on end.

It's a bit like my room, left untidied for months it takes a real long time to clean it up. Cleaning it up every day keeps the room nice and neat. ;)

What the test showed was that Sony's system hardly shook off a speck; to paraphrase the tester, the bigger pieces rotated.
Sometime U also see how U handle Ur camera when U "on" Ur camera by the time it activited the SWFF. Facing Up, Facing down or upside down... :bsmilie:
 

ykkok

New Member
Feb 24, 2004
532
0
0
#19
zcf said:
no offended, I do aware of Sony marketing do overclaim sometime, which unlike KM, but I am indeed surpise to see the anti-static dust reduction don't really seem to work well (thinking of upgrade to next DSLR after Alpha 100) :cry: . But also quite surprise to see Olympus one didn't manage to clean a lot of dusts in ephotozine also.
2 years in using my Olympus DSLR, and swapping lens often outdoor, touch-wood, I never had dust-problem, let alone software or post-processing marking. I have never been to the service centre even once in 2 years.

No cotton swap and tricky sensor cleaning, and only activated the mirror-flap-up for sensor cleaning (yes, it does have this) only to see the how the delicate sensor looks like.

Spotted one stuck pixel on the sensor after one year, but with the magical sensor mapping function, the stuck pixel is masked away for good in a few seconds!

Well, the test of inviting dust onto the sensor by opening the mount for 2 hours is extreme, but nevertheless, the SSWF really works for me. Not hoping 100% clean, but up to now, still sparkling clean!
 

Jul 30, 2005
499
0
16
#20
Now canon announced their 400D with antidust to join in sony and alpha

read the description here.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital3/dust-reduction.html#scsu

from the description, the antidust like very similar to oly. although it does not mention the frequency it vibrates.. one addvantage is that can disrupt the vibrating process when u on the camera and need to shoot immediately. there is a sticky adhesive tape as well.


very interesting photokina 'battle' coming up! :sweat:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom