Another sad case from channel 8 news

Is it sad case that singapore have to import foriegen sport talent to represent us?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Heard from news that sport persons had gone on a tour to get to know singapore better, so when they do represent singapore to compete in events oversea, they can introduce singapore to the fellow sport persons from other country.

If you look deeper into this case, what this means is singapore cant produce our own sport talent, but have to import from oversea. Just look @ table tannis, dam, it more like china vs china (I dont mean to offends the sports persons themselve, just that I feel disappointed).

our forefathers are all foreign "talent" coming to singapore for better tomorrow. that is why we have hokkiens, teochews etc.

denniskee said:
Heard from news that sport persons had gone on a tour to get to know singapore better, so when they do represent singapore to compete in events oversea, they can introduce singapore to the fellow sport persons from other country.

If you look deeper into this case, what this means is singapore cant produce our own sport talent, but have to import from oversea. Just look @ table tannis, dam, it more like china vs china (I dont mean to offends the sports persons themselve, just that I feel disappointed).

Are u an Orang Asli? :think:

of course we can't produce sporting talent because there is no money in it. And that is because the population is too small, there is no room to do anything else except follow the mass, get a job, feed your family and play catch up to bigger countries. Our society has always been education driven. These imported atheletes might change that, but it might take a few more generations. IMO, Singapore will never be able to produce world class AND recognized sportsman/women, at least not in my and your lifetime.

OK, would you feel proud if we win world cup, but only with all imported footballer, no singaporean?

denniskee said:
OK, would you feel proud if we win world cup, but only with all imported footballer, no singaporean?
They are Singaporeans, like you and me. They hold pink ICs.

denniskee said:

If Arsenal win any major competitions with imported players, you dun think they will feel proud? :)

Arsenal is a club, do you restrict foreigners from joining clubs? Club football is club football. I think Figo had this thing about Deco cause he is brazilian by birth..not too sure what it is.

I wouldn't feel proud if singapore won because the team consisted of foreign talent. Especially if they occupy positions which can put them in the spotlight.

its a high price to pay for someone in singapore to go so deep into a sport to the extent of representing the nation and capable of traing full time to go for the medal. i happened to be teaching a boy who misses about 1/2 of his term cos he is traing for a certain sport and doing well so far. his parents are supportive towards his love of the sports but his grades suffered. IF he ended up not making the league for the sport he would then already missed the boat of a so call 'good education, aka degree for a good job' etc. or at least he would be like 5-10 years behind his peers.
would you risk the same if he were your son? cant blame acquiring of foreign talents cos not many singaporeans are willing to ' do it' for the nation. seriously, i would rather have some foreign players competing in some international competition than no locals means no participation in sports attitude. without our own team, there will be nothing to cheer about in any major international sports event. boring
to the least it when we win it shows that singapore has the best living standards that the best would choose to join us than others :bsmilie:

denniskee said:

like i said, there is no money in sports in singapore.
so with singapore born locals, we will never win the world soccer cup.

tell me, which singapore parent will let their kid play soccer
full time at 5 years old? Almost all super soccer stars in the world start at 5 years old either in the poor neighborhoods where they have nothing else to do or molded by ambitious parents since young.

i don't really care about which foreigner is imported to bring glory to Singapore, as long as they win something.
Seems like all these imports are still second grade who can't win sh11t.

itchy said:
Arsenal is a club, do you restrict foreigners from joining clubs? Club football is club football. I think Figo had this thing about Deco cause he is brazilian by birth..not too sure what it is.

I wouldn't feel proud if singapore won because the team consisted of foreign talent. Especially if they occupy positions which can put them in the spotlight.

Are you sure that a club and its FA has no restrictions on foreigners playing for them? Club football also has its roots and identity.

I only hope the sport school can help to produce local native sports talent, so we dont have to rely on foriegn talent to fight our war.

IMO, wheres the sportmanship? Inoder to win the champianship, you end up with 1/2 or more team members thats not local.

Seems to me this doing is the same as "I dont care about the means, just get me results that I want".

denniskee said:
I only hope the sport school can help to produce local native sports talent, so we dont have to rely on foriegn talent to fight our war.

IMO, wheres the sportmanship? Inoder to win the champianship, you end up with 1/2 or more team members thats not local.

Seems to me this doing is the same as "I dont care about the means, just get me results that I want".

LOL, so patriotic. The army needs more people like you ;)
If you try to put yourself in this situation, rather than a avid sports fan, you will realize local Singaporeans will not carry the weight in local sports team.

Any kids yet? If you are not going to have your kid go pro in sports, it says the same to 3 million other Singaporeans.
There is NO WAY in hell I am going to let my kid kick around a soccer ball 10 hours a day so that he can make it pro, that is IF he make it.

Just think about it, why aren't you a pro sports person now? Why are you having a white collar job like everyone else? Would you have given up school and go pro in the sports you like?

Despite what people say about sports and studies can be balanced, we all know that if you are going to be pro, sports comes first, studies second. Would you, as a parent, let your kid do that?

singapore has almost no native inhabitants lah. we're all foreign imports. as long as those new imports come in here, take the pink IC, serve NS, get paid normal SGD, contribute CPF, squeeze with us on the MRT and buses, they shouldnt be called foreign imports anymore...

vr666m said:
LOL, so patriotic. The army needs more people like you ;)
If you try to put yourself in this situation, rather than a avid sports fan, you will realize local Singaporeans will not carry the weight in local sports team.

Any kids yet? If you are not going to have your kid go pro in sports, it says the same to 3 million other Singaporeans.
There is NO WAY in hell I am going to let my kid kick around a soccer ball 10 hours a day so that he can make it pro, that is IF he make it.

Just think about it, why aren't you a pro sports person now? Why are you having a white collar job like everyone else? Would you have given up school and go pro in the sports you like?

Despite what people say about sports and studies can be balanced, we all know that if you are going to be pro, sports comes first, studies second. Would you, as a parent, let your kid do that?

No....i will not let my kids do that too.

I totally agree with your thoughts! It's one in a million a talent is born, especially in Singapore. China is good in some sports but look at their soccer team....cannot make it. Haha.....Even they also hired a foriegn coach to manage their soccer team.

So what's the diff if it's Singapore. Australia Diving team is all Australians but look at the coach, Made in China. There is nothing wrong with foreign talent.

Singapore maybe a very modernized country but when it comes to sports, it sucks big time! Not that I look down on them but they are trying their best. Nothing to feel disappointed.

I am a Malaysian and proud to be one but same as Singapore, Malaysian sports sucks too. What are they good in? Badminton and that's about it. Even then, it's not consistant. Aiya all this sportsman/woman from foreign talent is a good thing as the local sportsman/woman can learn their strength and weakness.

So for me, I will go with foreign talent for now......

Without foreign talent, you think you will speak perfect English and write beautiful essays today? If not for the British occupation, we would be speaking some half past six broken English and some native dialects like Hokkien, Mandarin and so on. Look at China, all of them are learning English to better themselves....for us it's compulsory to learn.

denniskee said:

We already did, we have the 'gurkhas' protecting our most important ministers.

Just because we are born and bred here doesn't make us true singaporeans... how many of us are always critising the country.. come on.. all our forefathers were from china... The term "singaporean" now.. only means u hold a pink IC.. Sportsmen and sportswomen are the only ones who come under fire.. i dun think its fair.. wat abt those in the workforce?? are u going to stop foreign companies from starting a branch here cos they aren't singapore companies?? or will u go on strike becos they have a branch here and the chief ain a local?? ppl.. have a broader mindset.. ;)

tan131 said:
Just because we are born and bred here doesn't make us true singaporeans... how many of us are always critising the country.. come on.. all our forefathers were from china... The term "singaporean" now.. only means u hold a pink IC.. Sportsmen and sportswomen are the only ones who come under fire.. i dun think its fair.. wat abt those in the workforce?? are u going to stop foreign companies from starting a branch here cos they aren't singapore companies?? or will u go on strike becos they have a branch here and the chief ain a local?? ppl.. have a broader mindset.. ;)

I have to disagree with your definition of true Singaporean. Critising the country and its policy does not make us any less of a Singaporean than those who also agree with its policies. If we do not care less, we wouldn't even bother to critic. :nono:

Pro Image said:
I am a Malaysian and proud to be one but same as Singapore, Malaysian sports sucks too. What are they good in? Badminton and that's about it. Even then, it's not consistant.

Malaysian team won the gold in the International Kite Flying Competition.

Why not? They are Singaporeans. Only not born in Singapore. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.