Another prosumer question... sorry folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnage

Feb 26, 2005
Ang Mo Kio
Hi guys,

I guess the quest for the best current camera is always on eh?

I currently own a Lumix FZ20 and am pretty much familiar with all its controls. Have been using Nikon 6Ts and external flash for my macros, and for other occasions, the zoom range is good enough for me. Except for low-light scenes, I find a prosumer to be good enough for me and have no urge to splurge on dSLRs...

Recently, I feel the itch to buy a new camera. Yet when I look around in the market, there doesn't seem to be any spectacular models in the prosumer range, unless I missed a few?

Could anyone tell me what's a good upgrade for the FZ20? I'm not venturing into the dSLR range yet due, as always, to budget constraints. I'm looking for:

1) Better resolution (more than 5MP),
2) More acceptable noise levels at higher ISOs than the FZ20,
3) If possible, longer telephoto range,
4) If it's still possible, wider wide-angle, but this one's not a neccesity.

I must have manual focus, hotshoe, usable EVF (not LCD... different), possibility for add-on lens and filters.

It'd be good if that camera can have time-lapse recording, or can be controlled via laptop, though that'd be slightly more cumbersome. I think so far, only the Canon S5IS fits most of my criteria right?

Actually, I really love the manual zoom and manual focus rings of the FZ30/50. Pity the 50's image quality isn't that much better than the 30, and the 30's image quality also cannot compare to 20's... at least, that's what the reviews say...

So-o-o... any camera that's like that for now? Otherwise, I'm quite content to live with my FZ20 till a better model is released. :think:

Ya man! The Fuji S100fs looks good... except for the purple fringing problem. Grrr... See? They have the technology for better cameras, but they just can't make one that's good (I don't expect perfect) in most things. There always has to be a BIG compromise... shucks.

Yes, indeed, I shall continue to use my FZ20, but I was thinking of trying to sell SOME of my photos to those stock photography sites. And apparently, the higher resolution you have allows others to download bigger files, hence more money! More money to buy more camera accessories! Woohoo! Haha!

Ya man! The Fuji S100fs looks good... except for the purple fringing problem. Grrr... See? They have the technology for better cameras, but they just can't make one that's good (I don't expect perfect) in most things. There always has to be a BIG compromise... shucks.

Yes, indeed, I shall continue to use my FZ20, but I was thinking of trying to sell SOME of my photos to those stock photography sites. And apparently, the higher resolution you have allows others to download bigger files, hence more money! More money to buy more camera accessories! Woohoo! Haha!

if you'e alright with 6 mgp, fujifilm 6500fd is a very strong offering with most of the pts you're looking for

trouble is whether it is still available, not sure about that

Because FZ50 has noise issues... again... =( I'll have a look at Fujifilm 6500fd though. Thanks! =)

Or maybe I should wait until yet another flagship model from other companies... haha!

Hi guys,

I guess the quest for the best current camera is always on eh?

I currently own a Lumix FZ20 and am pretty much familiar with all its controls. Have been using Nikon 6Ts and external flash for my macros, and for other occasions, the zoom range is good enough for me. Except for low-light scenes, I find a prosumer to be good enough for me and have no urge to splurge on dSLRs...

So-o-o... any camera that's like that for now? Otherwise, I'm quite content to live with my FZ20 till a better model is released. :think:

Seriously, I think you'd be better off with a Nikon D40 kit if you don't want to spend a lot.

But with a super long zoom lens, I wouldn't a D40 cost much more? Besides, there aren't any lens that cover such a huge range that's going for a meagre price... is there? I mean, sure, I've thought about going over to dSLR... but the cost of lenses, even the more inferior, cheaper ones, that will allow me to cover the range of 36-432mm or more is simply too prohibitive... at least for me now...

I do not deny the many advantages of a dSLR over a prosumer (especially noise issues due to sensor size... damn!), but I cannot turn a blind eye to the advantages of a good prosumer over a dSLR either. Hahaha! Crap... I'm giving myself and everyone here a hard time... =)

s100fs is a good recommendation.. (have always liked a fuji.. haha)..

alternatively.. can go for 2nd hand d50 (which is going pretty low now).. with kit lens say maybe 18-55 / 18-70.. and a cheap 70-300.. lets you cover "28 - 450mm" too..

But with a super long zoom lens, I wouldn't a D40 cost much more? Besides, there aren't any lens that cover such a huge range that's going for a meagre price... is there? I mean, sure, I've thought about going over to dSLR... but the cost of lenses, even the more inferior, cheaper ones, that will allow me to cover the range of 36-432mm or more is simply too prohibitive... at least for me now...

I do not deny the many advantages of a dSLR over a prosumer (especially noise issues due to sensor size... damn!), but I cannot turn a blind eye to the advantages of a good prosumer over a dSLR either. Hahaha! Crap... I'm giving myself and everyone here a hard time... =)

so why a prosumer? price only? you have to know why. if it is price alone, and you want to be able to do more, especially having used a prosumer for some time already.. then maybe, you might want to consider to move up to dslr.

most superzoom lenses equivalent to your prosumer range would go for about 500 to 700
unless you do not mind getting widest end 28x1.5 = 42 mm, which is actually not wide at all.. then you can go for the old second hand 28-300, i am not sure about pricing but suffice to say it should be cheaper than the 18-200 or 18-250. my suggestion is actually to get a dual kit lens package with dslr - in particular because you have used prosumer for some time already. but of course there is the weight difference, and there are the many added advatnages - more versatility, better image quality, more responsiveness.. the list could go on, but there are always 2 sides to a coin. not everyone likes a dslr more than a prosumer, and the converse is true as well. in any case, the way prosumers seem to be going with their megapixel chase, i will not be surprised if they actually become redundant due to inferior image quality.

for example, sony hseries used to be quite ok, then now they try to throw more features to make it more attractive, end up not as good as the h2/h5 period. fujifilm, after moving on beyond the 6 megapixel stage (f30/f31/6500fd) and chasing megapixels.. end up noise control, while still better than most others, not as good as it could be.

the way prosumers seem to be going with their megapixel chase, i will not be surprised if they actually become redundant due to inferior image quality.
Haha! I so agree with that! That's why even though my FZ20 is old, I'm still hesitating getting rid of it coz I feel I can live with ISO80 most of the time.

Why prosumer is because I do not need to change lens to get the full range. Change lens = use time, which would definitely be longer than any shutter lag a prosumer would have. Also, the possibility of dust on the sensor everytime I change lens, and I never know in what kind of situation I want to have different range. Sekali on a dusty country road, wah, can die. Haha!

Using the FZ20 with its ISO limitation has forced me to learn how to use my flash to complement my camera. I more or less know what method of diffusion under what circumstances. Yes, versatility is reduced compared to a dSLR, but the accessories I've accumulated thus far (extra batteries, close-up filters, WCON & TCON) makes it possible for me to take many kinds of photos. And I think if I buy another prosumer, if I search hard enough and wait patiently enough, I can use those accessories interchangeably, and that's money saved too.

I'm not ultra nit-picky about image quality. I think FZ20 at ISO80 is good enough, though I know images from a dSLR cannot be parallelled. Haha! So far my max print size was 8 x 10 I think... and it's alright leh. Haha! =)

By the way, I mostly do macro... occasionally some landscape? And... rarely, some events for friends who are willing to forgo an official photographer just to save money. I think events need memories, so I will bring my camera along in case he changes his mind. Haha!

Haha! I so agree with that! That's why even though my FZ20 is old, I'm still hesitating getting rid of it coz I feel I can live with ISO80 most of the time.

Why prosumer is because I do not need to change lens to get the full range. Change lens = use time, which would definitely be longer than any shutter lag a prosumer would have. Also, the possibility of dust on the sensor everytime I change lens, and I never know in what kind of situation I want to have different range. Sekali on a dusty country road, wah, can die. Haha!

Using the FZ20 with its ISO limitation has forced me to learn how to use my flash to complement my camera. I more or less know what method of diffusion under what circumstances. Yes, versatility is reduced compared to a dSLR, but the accessories I've accumulated thus far (extra batteries, close-up filters, WCON & TCON) makes it possible for me to take many kinds of photos. And I think if I buy another prosumer, if I search hard enough and wait patiently enough, I can use those accessories interchangeably, and that's money saved too.

I'm not ultra nit-picky about image quality. I think FZ20 at ISO80 is good enough, though I know images from a dSLR cannot be parallelled. Haha! So far my max print size was 8 x 10 I think... and it's alright leh. Haha! =)

By the way, I mostly do macro... occasionally some landscape? And... rarely, some events for friends who are willing to forgo an official photographer just to save money. I think events need memories, so I will bring my camera along in case he changes his mind. Haha!

In that case why don't you get a A350 + SAL18250, you would get a 14X optical zoom much more prosumer camera. If you are taking mostly macro, there is quite a number of FZx0 users that took great shots with it... ;)

Oooo... I didn't know they had such a lens! That's wa-a-ay cool... =) Will keep a lookout for it when I go shopping next time.

Apparently there's a Tamron version as well, but people have been saying it's a teenyweeny bit slower than Sony, but both are slow to focus. I will have to see HOW slow it is to focus... I'm assuming Tamron has lens to fit Canon or Nikon?

Hi guys, I'm currently looking at Nikon D60 and D80. Haha! Started a thread in Nikon's sub-forum. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.