Another newbie attempt with Raynox

brapodam

Jun 12, 2009
AMK
4510249662_93f9197f59_o.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Everything: composition, sharpness, colour etc

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Show and emphasise the beauty in the colours and textures of a snail shell. People rarely think of snails as beautiful things and most people think they look disgusting.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot after accidentally discovering this snail outside my front door.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the textures of the shell, but the pic looks rather uninteresting because of the background (just the floor outside my house). I also don't like the blue halo around the snail's head, anyone have any idea what happened there? I can clone it away easily, but just want to ask where this blue halo could have come from.

This is a field test of your new equipment, nothing much to comment.

hi,
you said you wanted to show and emphasises the beauty of the snail's shell. however i thought showing the full shell may be a better decision..
and for a reason this is a boring picture IMO.
or it could be due to the fact that i just cant appreciate this picture..

Maybe just crop the part of the shell you want to emphasize?

i thought it looked like someone's braided hair!

suggest choosing a nicer shell? i dont see how you can turn that shell into beauty.

also be mindful of the reflection.

Careful of where the lights are falling off as it'll make the shot looks dark.

You need a better subject to show the beauty, this shell is a goner for sure. Try to employ shooting from different angles and see which will be best suited for what you want to tell your viewers.

hey!

hmm IMHO, i wouldn't know how this picture could be edited. Not a pro here, but I thought I'll share some personal thoughts, since you said how most people don't see the beauty in snails, and subtly, I share the same sentiments too! :)

Usually when taking snails, I like to shoot them from a low angle, and face front or from their side. Meaning that I would lie on the floor and shoot them head-on. Snails tend to "stand up" and share their "bellies". I like to take them when they do that.

Maybe taking pictures of their body with their shells from the side might show the colours on the shell? and make the picture a little more interesting? and it might be clearer that it's a snail. :)

Cheers,
Char

it would be better if u brush off the sand abit

i thought it looked like someone's braided hair!

suggest choosing a nicer shell? i dont see how you can turn that shell into beauty.

also be mindful of the reflection.

you can do it with the proper set up - a nice light tent, a reflective surface, great control of light, you can easily turn any shell that isn't too bung up into something worth shooting. :)

of course, that would mean harassing the poor snail, so i'd suggest that you wait until you find a discarded shell. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the textures of the shell, but the pic looks rather uninteresting because of the background (just the floor outside my house). I also don't like the blue halo around the snail's head, anyone have any idea what happened there? I can clone it away easily, but just want to ask where this blue halo could have come from.

this is a case of: "i have a new something and i want to use it, so i found an excuse to".

as i have been saying a lot in this section today, be the master of the tool - when you meet a situation that warrants using the tool, use it. not the other way round, go around looking for things to match to your tool. of course, practise is always good.