Another new lens

sgboy83

Sep 21, 2008
Thinking of getting a zoom lens, somewhere between 18 - 200... is the nikkor 18-200 good? what other similar lenses would you reckon and what is the price range?

Do you need the huge zoom range? If not, most people would suggest you to get faster zooms, instead of variable aperture zooms.

Thinking of getting a zoom lens, somewhere between 18 - 200... is the nikkor 18-200 good? what other similar lenses would you reckon and what is the price range?

image quality average, price around 1k bah. 28-300 if u want longer range.

For some time now, the 18-200mm VR has been the favoured "walk-about" lens for many people. Search the net for its pros and cons.

for a superzoom lens. it is the sharpest lens around. (says a mag, etc)

Last edited:
for a superzoom lens. it is the sharpest lens around. (says a mag, etc)

FYI. It is only sharp at f/8.0. At least for my copy. So you need enough light to shoot at f/8.0.

I have the 18-200. The quality is a bit worse than the 18-105 and it has creep issues, but it is brilliant as a travel lens when you don't want to pack and change multiple lenses.
The nikkor 18-200 vr costs about 1000 sgd. Your likely alternatives are Sigma 18-250 OS and Tamron 18-275 VC. I believe they should cost a bit lesser than the 18-200 but give longer zoom. They are a little slower to focus though.
If you don't need the range, the 18-105 and 18-135 are good lenses. The 18-135 is not VR though. The other option would be the 18-55 + 55-200. Barring the 18-55, the others are around 400-500 sgd.

My experience with the 18-200mm is highly positive. To me it is very versatile & sharp & is a fantastic, awesome walk-about lens, all things considered. It is subject to distortions at the extreme ends that's typical of many zooms & limitations in term of smaller aperture. If you are more into tele than wide, than the 28-300 would definitiely be a better choice at a slightly higher cost.

Can check out this review for reference http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Last edited:
I read in David Busch's Nikon D5000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography

he recommed AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (5.3x)

http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1218-a6b9250679

Clear and sharp, a walk-around lens

The kit lens 18-55mm is mentioned also is very good

However the 18-200mm mentioned is slow in tele and picture so so.

If speed and sharpness is not too much of an issue...then it's a good choice for a walkabout lens especially if when on vacation.
ever consider 70-200 f2.8????

Just using 18-200 lens for about 1-2 months, above average. We cant find a perfect lens in full range. 1 thing i am very suprise in the focusing responds. Compare to 18-55 it is still faster, it is common when switch to live view & test it. Some time i face difficulty in focusing for my kit len. But this zoom len is good. I am aiming for 35mm F1.8 now.....

works great for the function it serves as a superzoom.

ryan

Instead of 18-200VR, I would rather buy an 18-55VR and an 55-200VR. Greater flexibilty and much cheaper. I can't tell any difference in image quality for all 3 lenses.

Instead of 18-200VR, I would rather buy an 18-55VR and an 55-200VR. Greater flexibilty and much cheaper. I can't tell any difference in image quality for all 3 lenses.

18-200mm saves you the trouble of changing lenses and also saves storage space. Some may think that these are an important factors. We never know..

18-200mm saves you the trouble of changing lenses and also saves storage space. Some may think that these are an important factors. We never know..

18-200 is brilliant as just a single lens to carry for travel. But having said that superzoom lenses usually have quality compromises to achieve the ~10x that they do. This lens is no different. If you need best quality and are willing to swap lenses more on the field (which can sometimes be dusty) or don't need the tele to 200, there are much better lenses out there.