another k-7 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeygod

Oct 19, 2002
Singapore
http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/news/e3i3a7817078d0f6f03015caa5c6b40d22a

generally a positive review, but i hate the way he worded his conclusion :

The Pentax K-7 is one of most pleasant surprises of the year, offering impressive functionality with over half a dozen stand-out features including HDR recording; an electronic level function; a decent HD movie mode; copyright image embedding; and a tough, rugged but lightweight build. If the image quality from the K-7 is not quite as good as the Canon 50D or Nikon D300; it's certainly a vast improvement over Pentax's previous top-of-the-line model. The mid-level professional camera category has suddenly gotten a whole lot more interesting.

... he's referring to the k-7's (legitimately) worse high ISO performance and poorer image quality at ISO 3200, but the phrasing makes it sound like the k-7 is all around inferior to C* and N* :(

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/news/e3i3a7817078d0f6f03015caa5c6b40d22a

generally a positive review, but i hate the way he worded his conclusion :

The Pentax K-7 is one of most pleasant surprises of the year, offering impressive functionality with over half a dozen stand-out features including HDR recording; an electronic level function; a decent HD movie mode; copyright image embedding; and a tough, rugged but lightweight build. If the image quality from the K-7 is not quite as good as the Canon 50D or Nikon D300; it's certainly a vast improvement over Pentax's previous top-of-the-line model. The mid-level professional camera category has suddenly gotten a whole lot more interesting.

... he's referring to the k-7's (legitimately) worse high ISO performance and poorer image quality at ISO 3200, but the phrasing makes it sound like the k-7 is all around inferior to C* and N* :(

though my language is not veyr good, but wat i interpreted from him is and i think he mean that K-7 is good. But he wasn't very sure if the image quality is good or not.. that's why he put "If the image quality from the K-7 is not quite as good as the Canon 50D or Nikon D300".

That's okay, we K7 users know how good the camera is :cool:

Well, it's unfortunate because it won't help in converting people :p

......... the most critical one will be from DPreview ............. we will know by then ....... but they sure are taking a long time ......... :rolleyes:

After using it on AF-C and ISO 800, 1600, 3200 for yesterday nights getai coverage. I have all my doubts removed to the purchase of the K7.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What does 'not quite so good' mean, in reality? I think reviewers should justify a statement like this, or else they give the impression of being in the grip of Canon/Nikon narrowmindedness (which is very common) or being in the grip of advertisers. Basically it's a positive review, but with that grudging air that is common when reviewers tackle non-mainline products, and don't have quite the courage to recommend them full-heartedly, in case they are proved wrong!

Which camera's images are not noisy at 3200? What is more interesting is the trade-off between noise and detail, and he hasn't begun to address that. And as to the allegedly oversaturated quality of the jpgs, did he discover the menu function for adjusting saturation?

The review raises more questions than it provides answers. It is typical of what you read in second-ranking magazines, or on websites providing reviews based largely on hearsay and 'reputation', conventional wisdom, if you will.

Anyone could have written it based on published information, without even picking up the camera. Or so it seems to me. That said, it's nice to read a positive review, even if it has a little flavour of the notorious dpreview 'just' about it ...

Tim

From what I can read, it means the author is still not quite sure how the camera performs against his reference 50D or D300 cameras. He suspects it may be better but even if its not as good, at least it is way better than the K20D.
In some way its a compliment already :)

But we must constantly remind the uninitiated (probably the author too) that Pentax approach to their images is much less aggressive noise reduction to retain detail and allow us to process it later according to our needs. But this gives the impression to others that their images are noisier.

......... the most critical one will be from DPreview ............. we will know by then ....... but they sure are taking a long time ......... :rolleyes:

I bet it'll get highly recommended.

To be honest, the K-7 might be the best DSLR for street photography at the moment. Small or pancake lens, petite size. The shutter is darn quiet. Quieter than the Leica M8 I sold a few months ago.

To be honest, the K-7 might be the best DSLR for street photography at the moment. Small or pancake lens, petite size. The shutter is darn quiet. Quieter than the Leica M8 I sold a few months ago.

Thanks. Now if feel less like buying one of those :p

high ISO maybe so-so when vs C or N, but the low ISO details superior to 50D and D300s, even new canon 7D, just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.