Another flower closeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

U-KnOwHo

01270002.jpg

What is wrong about this pic? For that matter, what is right, if any? :rbounce:

hi!

Great shot!! Accurately focused, sharp and vibrant colours, well done. What camera r u using btw? :)

Sorry for not replying earlier. Have not been coming to the forum. :)

LifeWorld: I did not use Best Shot, the technical details are as follows

Resolution:1600 x 1200 pixels
Quality: Fine
Recording mode: Single shutter
AE: Programmed AE
Light metering: Center
Shutter speed: 1/60sec
Aperture stop: F3.2
Exposure comp.: 0.00EV
Focusing mode: Macro
Flash mode: Auto
Sharpness: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Contrast: Normal
White balance: Auto
Sensitivity: ISO 80 equivalent
Filter: Red
Enhancement: Off
Flash Intensity: Normal
Digital zoom: Off
Model: QV-2900UX

Hmm.. you seems to use a rather big aperture size. I remember hearing from somewhere that you need to use a small aperture size in closeup to so that your subject can be sharper. It works well in your case. Did you zoom in your subject?

Great closeup!!! nice colours too!!

Originally posted by Falcon
Hmm.. you seems to use a rather big aperture size. I remember hearing from somewhere that you need to use a small aperture size in closeup to so that your subject can be sharper. It works well in your case. Did you zoom in your subject?

I guess the subject is relatively flat so the big aperture size did not affect the dof. I did not zoom in on the subject but my camera is very near to the flower. Almost touching if I remember correctly.

Thanks for all the kind comments. :gbounce:

Originally posted by U-KnOwHo

I guess the subject is relatively flat so the big aperture size did not affect the dof. I did not zoom in on the subject but my camera is very near to the flower. Almost touching if I remember correctly.

Thanks for all the kind comments. :gbounce:

Wow u can get to that close? Mine would have lost its focus if I am too near.

Falcon, for close-ups, larger aperture size is needed. Remember, aperture size is a reciprocal, f/22 is actually 1/22 and f/5.6 is 1/5.6. Hence, f/5.6 is considered a larger aperture size than f/22.

U-KnOwHo, QV-2900UX cannot zoom in so close, it's virtually impossible with such a camera and lens. You will have obtain a very very blur image if you took the shot that close to the subject. What you have here is a more than life-size replication, possibly 3:1. Unless, you zoom-in using the camera built-in zoom capability which is common amongst digital camera. So, please don't provide inaccurate information.

Lastly, it is a sharp and well-balanced shot. High in color saturation although flat hence lacking in depth.

Originally posted by Mouse
U-KnOwHo, QV-2900UX cannot zoom in so close, it's virtually impossible with such a camera and lens. You will have obtain a very very blur image if you took the shot that close to the subject. What you have here is a more than life-size replication, possibly 3:1. Unless, you zoom-in using the camera built-in zoom capability which is common amongst digital camera. So, please don't provide inaccurate information.

I did not provide inaccurate information unless you are talking about the aperture part which is a mistake on my part. :embrass:

As for the closeness to the flower, it is true that my camera is almost touching the flower.

Lastly, it is a sharp and well-balanced shot. High in color saturation although flat hence lacking in depth.

Thanks. ;)

The Casio focusses to 1cm at 40mm. Furthermore, it's probably not 3:1 reproduction ratio (the CCD is really small).

Y L Lee, are you saying that the lens is only 1 cm away from the subject? And yet it can still remain in focus?

Agreeing, the CCD is small. However, that doesn't compensate for image capturing. All cameras (unless I am already backdated) works based on lens magnification. Most lens (unless really expensive ones) only produces 1:1 reproduction. Normally, extension tubes or bellows or inversing the lens with rings are needed to improve on these reproductions. Otherwise, use close-up filters to reduce the minimum focusing distance. Normal lens minimum focusing distance is 0.4m (40 cm), except for macro lens which are really expensive.

What I am trying to say here is that the CCD doesn't play a part in moving closer to the subject (what he said was he was nearly touching the flower). But it is possible with a digital zoom to magnify it once the image had been captured.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I don't want to cause any misunderstanding.

Otherwise, U-KnOwHo, sorry if I misinterpreted myself. No offence intended.

PS: I was (Still am) posting in the forums from photo.net and popphoto for a long while and it gets very disruptive when people provides inaccurate information.

Dun worry, Mouse. I am not offended. Words can come across as pretty harsh in postings which is why I use smilies. ;)

I am not so sure about the 3:1 and 1:1 you are talking about. Can educate this newbie?? ;p

Originally posted by Mouse
Y L Lee, are you saying that the lens is only 1 cm away from the subject? And yet it can still remain in focus?

Yes. My 995 goes to 2cm at 75mm.

Agreeing, the CCD is small. However, that doesn't compensate for image capturing. All cameras (unless I am already backdated) works based on lens magnification. Most lens (unless really expensive ones) only produces 1:1 reproduction. Normally, extension tubes or bellows or inversing the lens with rings are needed to improve on these reproductions. Otherwise, use close-up filters to reduce the minimum focusing distance. Normal lens minimum focusing distance is 0.4m (40 cm), except for macro lens which are really expensive.

You're thinking in terms of a SLR with a 24mm X 36mm imager. In case you don't know, the extremely small size of the CCD, means that even at 1:4 reproduction ratio, the image will fill frame. A couple of optical tricks here and there will allow the lens to focus real close.

agreeing, I just read the article from OutdoorPhotographer March 2002 issue. The Nikon Coolpix 5000 can focus at a minimum of 3/4 inches. However, he, Rob Sheppard, also mentioned that "...if you want optinum close-up,..., you need to use a close-up lens (a number of screw-in types...."

YSLee, if that's the case, I stand corrected and apologises to you and U-KnOwHo. :embrass:

Hey, no problems, just wanted to clear the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.