Another bad deal in buy/sell


Status
Not open for further replies.

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#1
Hi. I just want to highlight this incident that happenes today. Yesterday this guy wanted to sell his lens. "Asking price" is $120. I immediately told him that I'll take it at his asking price. Today he sms me and told me that highest bid is $130. I pointed out to him that asking price, reserve price and bidding are 3 different things. Do you think he should honor the deal? Your comments please. The reason I brought this up is that there has been a lot of this lately. I have made many deals in buy/sell and this is the second time this happened to me. Below is the thread details.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+evenstar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bedok
Posts: 128 WTS: Canon 80-200mm and 75-300mm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canon 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 II
No warranty, has been sitting in my dry box for a long long time.
Optics 8/10
No filter (filter size 52mm)
Asking $80

Canon 75-300 f4.5-5.6 III USM
No warranty, also sitting in my dry box for a long time
Optics 8.5/10
Comes with HOYA UV filter (just changed in January and have not been used since)
Asking $120

PM me for offers...

+evenstar
View Public Profile
Send a private message to +evenstar
Find More Posts by +evenstar
Add +evenstar to Your Buddy List
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
14 Hours Ago #2
jbma
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tampines
Posts: 675

I'll take the 75-300 at your price.
__________________
Life is too complicated....so live simply!

jbma
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jbma
Find More Posts by jbma
Add jbma to Your Buddy List
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
4 Hours Ago #3
+evenstar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bedok
Posts: 128 Current bid for 75-300 USM III is $130...bids close tonight..

SMS me at 9780 0829 for fast deals..thinking of dealing tomorrow if possible
 

glennyong

Senior Member
May 2, 2004
5,587
0
0
Singapore
#2
erm.. he is the seller wad.. so basic instinct tells me that we should respect what the seller wants to do with his item, so if INITIALLY he wanted to sell at the asking price, he may have decided to sell the item to you without losing alot. BUT if suddenly theres another buyer who offered a higher price, i think its only natural for him to let the higher bidder get the item. cuz first he is paying more then you, second, the seller is earning extra to cover the incurred losses...

its my 1cent worth of knowledge..so dun beat and flame me.... :D
 

NitroTech

New Member
Apr 4, 2002
546
0
0
43
In Paradise
Visit site
#3
Erm.... no offence here but you PM'ed him saying you will take it at his asking price. But did he agree to sell it to you? I mean, was there a reply from him saying that the deal is on?
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#4
actually if u 2 have negotiated on the price & made plans for exchange already, den he should honor it, but if its like if he saw your confirmation after another guy have offered the higher price, den its another problem...

listing the asking price may just be an invitation to treat, since there is no verbal or written contract... so he can sell to whoever offers the highest price.
 

#5
Hi there,
Very sorry about the deal, as I logged off at 12am in the morning, only to re-log on at around 1045am this morning in school, and found your post...by then, I already had an offer for $130, so I SMS-ed you immediately....

I'm not very sure about the "Asking price", "bids", etc thing, so I may have made an error somewhere which has caused some confusion...

SOrry guys....
 

Mar 13, 2004
458
0
16
Bishan
deadpoetscave.com
#6
Was about to write that I'm sure many people don't know what's asking price, reserve price etc. The guidelines, if people read, also do not have any glossary regarding auction terms. Guess everyone has to be more careful in the terminology they use when asking for and making bids. Best to confirm with the other party always.
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#7
I'm giving this tread another 24hrs before I closed it. Case has been brought up and both parties have said their pieces. I'm sure that any misunderstanding by then shld have been cleared.

Mod
Kopitiam.
 

NitroTech

New Member
Apr 4, 2002
546
0
0
43
In Paradise
Visit site
#8
+evenstar said:
Hi there,
Very sorry about the deal, as I logged off at 12am in the morning, only to re-log on at around 1045am this morning in school, and found your post...by then, I already had an offer for $130, so I SMS-ed you immediately....
So I guess there was no confirmation? So I don't think one can call it a "deal" or a "bad deal".
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#9
No flame intended. Just want to get some opinion. Thread will now be closed.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom