Anny issues with bringing a monopod onto the plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikey69

Mar 1, 2008
Going to buy a monopod soon. I intend to hook it up to my crumpler haversack and bring it onto the plane. Are there any airlines or countries that have issues with bringing it on board the plane?

Going to buy a monopod soon. I intend to hook it up to my crumpler haversack and bring it onto the plane. Are there any airlines or countries that have issues with bringing it on board the plane?
depends...best people to answer is the airlines themselves but why on earth you want to carry onboard the plane. just put inside check in luggage can already.

thanks for the quick reply. since I'm putting my kit into the haversack, might as well attach the monopod onto the haversack and bring it on board. But you may be right, I am wondering why i should bring the monopod on board, other than trying to protect it from being flung around in the luggage hold and during baggage handling.

thanks for the quick reply. since I'm putting my kit into the haversack, might as well attach the monopod onto the haversack and bring it on board. But you may be right, I am wondering why i should bring the monopod on board, other than trying to protect it from being flung around in the luggage hold and during baggage handling.
if its so easily damaged by luggage handling, i wouldnt trust it with thousands dollars worth of equipment, heck i wouldnt even bring it or even have bought it in the first place.

Last edited:
The airport staff asked me to bring my tripod onto the plane when I travelled either domestic or international in US last time.
If US airport/airplane allow that, I believe most of the countries shouldn't have problem with that.

I did try on air asia. No problem as well.

I think you could bring in your monopod onboard plane but it might cause a stir at security though. Like Reportage said, why not check-it in. You monopod should be able to handle quite a bit of rough handling else it isn't worth bringing. I checked in both my monopod and tripod in it's own casing (not packed into luggage). I request for a fragile sticker. Both arrived ok.

Kelvin

I had no problems with my tripod, be it bringing it on board the plane or going through customs. The stewardess was even kind enough to offer to help.

The airport staff asked me to bring my tripod onto the plane when I travelled either domestic or international in US last time.
If US airport/airplane allow that, I believe most of the countries shouldn't have problem with that.

I did try on air asia. No problem as well.
Singapore might be even more paranoid than US. I remembered when US stopped asking people to switch on their laptops going through the security check, Changi airport still insist people doing that...

As for tripod or monopod, there is no problem going through security at all. I have carried that in my carry-on luggage onto the plane between Singapore/US, Hong Kong, Shanghai, India and Philippines. A lot of times, I don't have any check-in luggages so I just put them in the carry-on.

Singapore might be even more paranoid than US. I remembered when US stopped asking people to switch on their laptops going through the security check, Changi airport still insist people doing that...

Is it a new rule in Changi Airport? I don't remember asked to switch on my laptop during security check? I was only ask to "take out" my laptop when going thru the X-RAY..... :think:

ok - thanks guys. I jst went to buy a gitzo carbon 2561 monopod that fits snuggly into the luggage or my crumpler.

shouldn't have a prob, even with tripod... for me (with tripod), if I have a roll-on cabin bag, I remove the head and squeeze it in that bag, more for convenience than anything... or if check-in, can fit clothes around the tripod/monopod to cushion any possible impact or put tripod/monopod in a padded carrier...
Is it a new rule in Changi Airport? I don't remember asked to switch on my laptop during security check? I was only ask to "take out" my laptop when going thru the X-RAY..... :think:
just flew in December, no need to turn on laptop... just had to remove it from bag...

Thanks for the confirmation, coz I remember I was never asked to switch on the laptop on any security check before... :)
if they did in the past, they don't require it now...

if they did in the past, they don't require it now...

yea they used to do it in the past.. 1 yr ago when i flew to australia i had to boot up my laptop both at changi and in aussie when departing...

anyway, tripods shld be allowed. i carried mine onboard for my trip to aus on SIA.

if dun allow those ahpek with tongkat how?

they offer you their own? :dunno:

if possible put it in your hand carry. should be fine out of changi. other airports another story.

Right after 911, US was very strict with airport security. They required all travelers to switch on the laptop to ensure it is functioning (I think they afraid the terrorists will use the battery compartment for something else). They even requires all travelers to take off their shoes and x-ray them as well. But after a while, when US stop turning on the laptops, Changi security still practice this procedure. They have since stop this practice already.

Status
Not open for further replies.