Annual Leave During Probation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Jun 25, 2004
(1) In my previous company, a staff under probation (less than 6 months) can take annual leave (up to 'earned' leave).

(2) My current company, no such thing. Cannot means cannot. I need to take leave to accompany my wife to see doctor etc.

What the hell?

Dependent on bosses.

My boss forgot about my confirmation for 2 months but he still approved leave that I applied for, he doesn't care about such things.

Some places not flexible.

Some places under probation can take MC, some places is considered no-pay leave.

Dependent on bosses.

My boss forgot about my confirmation for 2 months but he still approved leave that I applied for, he doesn't care about such things.

Some places not flexible.

Some places under probation can take MC, some places is considered no-pay leave.

So much for a being a family-oriented company. Damn fed-up.

Your company really not flexible at all. :(

Sorry to hear your predicament dude.

Hopefully if you try to talk to them again, they'd budge.

Since u wililng to take unpaid leave, I teach you 1 trick.

Call up tml 1 hour after your work starts and say you want to take urgent leave :p

This boss just trying to find fault.

Last year, someone make mistake and under his advice, she signed a maintenance contract.

This year, I was asked to renew that contract. Got a lot of loopholes. No Service Level of Agreement in the contract etc. i discovered it and now she finding fault with me. Say my work not up to mark, cannot confirm me and want to extend probation.

This boss just trying to find fault.

Last year, someone make mistake and under his advice, she signed a maintenance contract.

This year, I was asked to renew that contract. Got a lot of loopholes. No Service Level of Agreement in the contract etc. i discovered it and now she finding fault with me. Say my work not up to mark, cannot confirm me and want to extend probation.
Then it's time to consider to carry on working or not. Normally for unresaonable reasons to extend a probation, I think it's no longer worth the effort to stay on.

Of course, that's just me. Discuss with your SO, and then come to a conclusion.

Then it's time to consider to carry on working or not. Normally for unresaonable reasons to extend a probation, I think it's no longer worth the effort to stay on.

* sigh *

The working environment not bad - very nice colleagues. Hard to find anywhere.

Wah lao - she damn siao one - when I see her with periodic updates - she said I give her information in 'piece meal'.

When I reply to other people email and .cc her, she said never receive.

Some more, try to be pious.

hey ! take MC... it is a 100% stupid rule ! why so ? humans under probation dun fall sick ? and after probation can fall sick ?

i tell u.. our MOM is useless at times, u have to help yourself. :sweat:

Don't understand why some people have to pick on their subordinates....

damn losers

I'll quit if I were you, or get her out of the way

then take 2days MC

* sigh *

The working environment not bad - very nice colleagues. Hard to find anywhere.

Wah lao - she damn siao one - when I see her with periodic updates - she said I give her information in 'piece meal'.

When I reply to other people email and .cc her, she said never receive.

Some more, try to be pious.

Maybe you want to reflect on yourself. If your performance is really up to par? Normally bosses pick on those that they deem laggers. And frankly nice colleagues is a dumb excuse to stay on. Trust me when she picks on u more and all your faults start popping out, you see if anyone is still so nice to you.

I would say leave the company and FYI most companies now do not grant annual leave for probation staff.

There's a reason why there're no annual leaves during probation. If you work 5 days week, on a general guideline of 22.5 day month, your employer will get to see you only 67.5 days during your probation to evaluate your performance before deciding whether to make you a perm staff.

However, if there will also comes a need when you really need to be on leave to attend urgent matters and in your case sounds reasonable if it's a one off thing.

The management will find it difficult to accept or be convinced that you will be a committed perm staff if within only 3 months of work you applied a series of leaves. To them it's the same thing as if you bought the camera that take leaves during your photo hours.

Some say bosses are inhumane but this is how companies work, although it's people running it, they run it as a company - a non living thing with the end purpose of generating good profitability which usually comes about with high productivity.

I tend to agree some bosses are more political in the sense that it is outright individualistic and selfish.

Those who worked long enough will know some managers are poor leaders, badly organised, lazy and overly dependant on their sub-ordinates. The worse of the scum will even claim credits for your work well not passing on the fruits of labor to you such as a good appraisal.

Most managers never or seldom praise their staff for good things done but will immediately reprimand you for anything that is out of order - a.k.a negative reinforcement.

True that most managers still hold on to FW Taylor's (hope I didn't get this wrong) view that workers are generally lazy and requires external motivation- mostly negative to get them achieve goals.

If you cannot accept your work environment, I suggest you move on. Most people who choose to stay on in a bad environment (perceived or real) usually develop health issues and more commonly mental issues in later years.

Sometimes it is only realistic to find a balance between compensation and passion.

I know this situation where they don't confirm you and extend your probation. Is this a non-private sector job? If it is, it's really not worth staying on as they'll put you on something called a 'work improvement plan' where they arrange for fortnightly 2-3 hour sessions where they nitpick everything you've done for the past week. It'll also be recorded in your personal file and it'll impact future promotions.

I think I'd like to clarify a few things - I do not consider myself a lagger or lazy worker.

(1) When I started this job, there was a nagging intermittent problem with the wireless network. Users would suddenly lose connectivity, dropped signals etc. And we all know that when such a thing happens, it can be due to many variables. These take time to isolate, and test and re-test. It could be an access point (AP) congestion (since both 802.1x and Radius was switched on), several faulty APs etc. Last week, she said why does it take so long for you to know of this problem? Duh. I told her that we've finally found the problem, and unfortunately it is due to the AP (Hewlett-Packard) that was not robust enough. The CISCO APs could solve one of these problems. Her reply was, it was only one problem, why take so long? I told her that the other part was the user took the laptop home to work, change the SSID / domain settings etc, and dunno how to put back. I told her we were looking for a solution (freeware) that could save the settings.

(2) There was no network topology diagram in the company. So my colleague and I spent weeks understanding the network topology and used Visio to draw it out. 2 diagrams were completed - 1 old topology and 1 new topology. When I passed her both, she asked "What is the use of this diagram, and what does this diagram tell me?" I said these diagrams are for your files, one current and the other diagram is where the company network should be. They had almost all the servers in the DMZ and that was a major security risk. Then she said "Don't give me piece meal information".

(3) Then she said, "Where is your 5 years IT Master Plan?" Like as if it takes a few days to do? Lucky never give her the drafts, wait kenna accused of giving her the document in 'piece meal'.

(4) We have 3 Active Directories (ADs). Our job was to merge them properly, and install Microsoft Exchange. Anyone knows that the AD *must* be done correctly before anything else. She said these things can be done in two months, including the complete rollout of Microsoft Exchange. I got fed up and told her "If I can do this in 2 months, I wouldn't be here. I'd be heading Microsoft Singapore."

Now you tell me, what is wrong with this picture?

BTW, she's non-IT literate.

Status
Not open for further replies.