Annoying popups!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi all
Recently the number of popups appearing has been tremendous! It used to be 1 popup every now and then but now its like... 4 or 5 every minute? Its getting to my nerve.

I've Spybot and AdAware installed and I've scanned my PC using both programs. And everytime I would scan til 'There is no more threat left'. I've also updated my Norton Antivirus to the latest update and have also scanned my PC which revealed no viruses found whatsoever.

However, there will still be popups!

Another annoying thing is the search column popping up beside my Internet Browser. I've included a printscreen of that search column in case anyone of you dont get me. http://www.valska.org/terence/search.JPG

Can anyone advise me on what to do next to rid my PC of such happenings?

you can try using mozilla firefox web browser. It is quite effective in blocking popups

i would first check my control panel - add/remove programs for unwanted things or what i have no impression of installing it, uninstall it.

if there isn't any, i would close all programs, look into the task manager - processes and "end process" those programs that are running and i have no idea what are they.

next, i would go to C:\Program Files\ and delete anything i have no impression of installing them.

finally, open up internet explorer again to check if the problem still exist.

Update your Windows XP with the latest update from microsoft. Since I got Service Pack 2 (SP2), it has effectively blocked most of the pop-ups, yet giving you the offer to read those pop-ups it has blocked, if you want to view them. I have to say Microsoft did a great job at this. :thumbsup:

yeocolin said:
Update your Windows XP with the latest update from microsoft. Since I got Service Pack 2 (SP2), it has effectively blocked most of the pop-ups, yet giving you the offer to read those pop-ups it has blocked, if you want to view them. I have to say Microsoft did a great job at this. :thumbsup:

yeah, and not forgetting MS also has a new spyware detection tool right? if i remember correctly although i didn't update mine.

by the way pokka, you might like to give this a try? http://www.browser-hijack.com/

you can try using mozilla firefox web browser. It is quite effective in blocking popups
Thanks. I would use it as a last resort. I've been using IE for so long, I doubt I would change my web browser. But thanks anyway for your feedback.

i would first check my control panel - add/remove programs for unwanted things or what i have no impression of installing it, uninstall it.

Hi, indeed there are some unfamiliar programs installed. I've removed a few(Yes, a few). Some like DjVu Internet Tool Bar? Something like that which I've no recollection installing it.

if there isn't any, i would close all programs, look into the task manager - processes and "end process" those programs that are running and i have no idea what are they.

Hi, in the task manager, there are some processes which I don't know what they're there for, but I'm pretty sure they're vital for the PC. How can I find out which are deletable or rather which are popupAds-related?

Oh, and lastly I've the latest Service Pack 2.

PS:While typing this reply, I've a total of 2 popups and 2 SearchTool popup! Annoying!

Pokka said:
Thanks. I would use it as a last resort. I've been using IE for so long, I doubt I would change my web browser. But thanks anyway for your feedback.

err ... why last resort? just a few clicks away and all your problems solved, no need to consider :)

sorry man, then i suggest you ignore that part on task manager. or if you can post a screen shot of your task manager.

in the task manager processes, these are the actually program name that are running. stuffs like svchost.exe lsass.exe csrss.exe mdm.exe services.exe smc.exe smss.exe winlogon.exe etc are critical WinXP components running. as for the others, i would do a search for that particular .exe file, for example toolbar.exe and see where is it hiding. If its like in C:\Program Files\ABCTool\toolbar.exe then I can confirm it can be deleted since I did not install it.

But of course the above is a little dangerous to do.

I got pissed with IE and found a new browser that I will never have these problems. I found Maxthon. It uses IE engine, so it is no difference to IE, except lots more features added in. Check it out. I love it a lot! :)

Good Luck!

Pokka said:

Hi, indeed there are some unfamiliar programs installed. I've removed a few(Yes, a few). Some like DjVu Internet Tool Bar? Something like that which I've no recollection installing it.

Hi, in the task manager, there are some processes which I don't know what they're there for, but I'm pretty sure they're vital for the PC. How can I find out which are deletable or rather which are popupAds-related?

Oh, and lastly I've the latest Service Pack 2.

PS:While typing this reply, I've a total of 2 popups and 2 SearchTool popup! Annoying!
Check if you've turned on the feature to switch off the pop-ups, since you've installed the latest SP2.

You have spyware problems there.

Update your Ad-aware again, reboot and get Ad-aware to scan again. And the advise to use Firefox is an EXTREMELY sound one. If you still choose to use IE, then you are opening yourself up for unnecessary security risk to your PC.

But, if you are still a die-hard IE user, suggest you run Windoze update regularly to get the important security patches for both Windoze & IE.

But for non-spyware related advertisements & pop-ups. I strongly recommend this -- http://www.admuncher.com/.

nyxx88 said:
You have spyware problems there.

Update your Ad-aware again, reboot and get Ad-aware to scan again. And the advise to use Firefox is an EXTREMELY sound one. If you still choose to use IE, then you are opening yourself up for unnecessary security risk to your PC.

But, if you are still a die-hard IE user, suggest you run Windoze update regularly to get the important security patches for both Windoze & IE.

But for non-spyware related advertisements & pop-ups. I strongly recommend this -- http://www.admuncher.com/.

nice pun ... paiseh, OT

yeocolin said:
Check if you've turned on the feature to switch off the pop-ups, since you've installed the latest SP2.
Yes, I've checked the box 'Bloack pop-ups'

I've updated my AdAware and Spybot to the latest version and have done scans.
Spybot show no new threat whereas AdAware revealed 1 threat.

And I found a new problem.
When I type in www.symantec.com , I get re-directed to http://www.yupsearch.com/search.php
Can anyone tell me whether this is the work of a spyware or a virus/trojan/worm?

Pokka said:
Yes, I've checked the box 'Bloack pop-ups'

I've updated my AdAware and Spybot to the latest version and have done scans.
Spybot show no new threat whereas AdAware revealed 1 threat.

When I type in www.symantec.com , I get re-directed to http://www.yupsearch.com/search.php
Can anyone tell me whether this is the work of a spyware or a virus/trojan/worm?
definitely a spyware. :(
dude, if you're too used to IE like I do, give Maxthon a try.

Download Microsoft Anti Spyware, you will like it.

Pokka said:
Sounds like you may have caught a variant of the "Cool Web Search" spyware/adware.

Try using this:

CWSShredder

Good luck.

deadpixel said:
Sounds like you may have caught a variant of the "Cool Web Search" spyware/adware.

Try using this:

CWSShredder

Good luck.

I've done a scan using CWSShredder, but it says the "Cool Web Search" spyware is not found. :dunno:
Any idea?
Popups are still popping out but the search thing by the side of the IE so far has not re-appeared.
Think the browser-hijack thingie is good. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.