Anniversary shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezhang

Jul 20, 2008
DSC_71871.jpg

DSC_7187.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on the technical settings on the camera when taking a group shot in low light.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Pretty much a basic group shot, but I would like to obtain best technical results.

What should be done:
1. Shoot on tripod (didn't have one with me)
2. Shoot with flash (yes, with SB800, increased the power)
3. Now the next question is, shoot with f2.8 ISO400-800, or shoot with f9 ISO1250-1600? Worries about the sharpness/depth of field, thus shot with f8.0 Shutter 1/50 ISO1250, but turned out the noise pretty bad. Would you guys have shot in f2.8 instead? (was standing 8-10meters away)

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Old school 10 year anniversary.

Shot with D300 with 14-24mmf2.8 at 19mm. Set exposure to -1/3, and increased the exposure on PP. Shutter speed was 1/50, and f8.0. Standing about 8-10 meters away.

Would have taken mulltiple shots but situation didn't allow it.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Group shot that can be improved in noise/sharpness. Should straighten the shot too, and perhaps correct WB, but that's easily done PP. (More interested in your opinions on the techical aspects of the photo.)

First problem of all, is you didn't engage the subjects, there's quite a few especially is not looking into the camera. With such a big group, a single flash is definitely not enough, as the back rows are underexposed. Correct if I'm wrong but it would be better to move the poles away. You do not have to take multiple shots but at least 2 shots are adviseable. Mostly on DX sensor, most users try not to go above the 'usable' 400 unless required.

i agree that the poles should be move away.

The back rows look pretty uniform, except the front row.
I would prefer them to sit with their legs crossed in similar manner.

Yes, I agree you need to take at least 2-3 shots.
At least you can choose from the best shot.
otherwise, you will end up with someone yawning (front row, 3rd from left)
and someone looking at the floor (front row, 1st from right)

Yup, you guys are right.

Problem is someone with rather shaky hands helped take the photo, took 3 shots in total, the first being the shakiest but the people in the photo were the best positioned, whereas this shot was sharpest but with people already looking away. Unfortunately the attention span ran out by then (many cameras)!

Still, how about the aperture setting? Would you have shot this in f2.8? :)

Yup, you guys are right.

Problem is someone with rather shaky hands helped take the photo, took 3 shots in total, the first being the shakiest but the people in the photo were the best positioned, whereas this shot was sharpest but with people already looking away. Unfortunately the attention span ran out by then (many cameras)!

i'll check my lens 1st.

if my lens is a wide angle with 3m to infinity, and its wide open @ f2.8... i'll use f2.8. cos everything will be sharp from 3m onwards if i set the lens at that distance. foreground are not considered anyway. but of course, to be on the safe side, always stop down a little just in case your focusing is off. so f4 is a better option.

for what i can say about this pic is, no matter how you try, you will have problem, cos 1/2 is in shade, 1/2 is not, so you'll either overexpose the front to expose the rear, or underexpose the rear to get normal exposure for the front.

Observing the photo shows that the first three rows of people are quite well illuminated, except the last.
A simple solution would be, move the last row people to the front, grab a chair ( saw some stack behind in a room ) stand on it and shoot, all problem solved.

This is the easiest way out under such circumstances.
Afterall, you are not a commisioned professional photographer assigned to take this group photo.

Yup, you guys are right.

So you are not the photographer? :dunno:

When shooting a group photo, it requires more than just technical settings. You need to know how to place & arrange the group, as well as how to engage the subjects. You also need to be aware of ambient light, its direction, intensity, and colour temperature.

I would try to raise the ISO instead of using large aperture (f/2.8). Wouldn't it give a shallow Depth of Field?

Maybe that's just me. I'm still new in photog.

ezhang, your photo is not sharp and underexposed.

to answer your question, i would probably shoot at f2.8 1/60 ISO800. dof is not really a concerned here as you are using a wide angle lens and focus to infinity is definitely less than 8m.

what i would do is to shoot with SB800 direct flash at f4 ISO400.

Status
Not open for further replies.