Anime 3DCG Appleseed - any other recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
I recently watched Appleseed, I'm not really much into Anime but I was quite blown away by the animation on this superb film.

As this really isn't my type of thing, would any of you hardcore anime fans be able to recommend any other movies made with the high level of CG animation in the style of Appleseed?

For those of you who are into animation and haven't caught this yet, the DVD is available from many stores for about $24. Go watch, it'd blow you away. Smooth character movement, incredible attention to detail, superb rendition, great manga and wonderful sound. Cheesy storyline adds to the whole anime experience...

Appleseed is a old anime liao. It was a remake in CG, if you are interested get Wonderful Days by the Koreans with eye popping animation and Ghosts in the Shell 2. :thumbsup:

Like I said, I'm not into Anime so I don't really keep up with what's new in this genre. I'll go check out Wonderful Days, Ghost in the Shell:Innocence is already on my buy list. Thanks.

Yups, Appleseed is a remake with cool CGI. Ghost in the Shell is good. Since you like planes, go check out Macross Plus and Macross Zero. These 2 have some of the best dogfights in anime.

Macross Zero is a newer anime but takes place at a time a few years from now - so you do get a F-14 Tomcat in a fight with a Mig-29 Fulcrum among other things.... Macross Zero is the prequal to the old TV series Macross (or Robotech which translated & rewrote Macross to English by Harmony Gold).
:)

Macross Plus is way into the future but builds on the storyline / technology of Macross Zero. Surprisingly, the designs of the YF-19 featured in that anime was done before Russia designed the S-37 Berkoot.... which led to many fans speculating that the Sukhoi designer must have been watching Macross Plus when he designed that plane.

JUst to take note, Macross Zero is rated M18 for scenes of nudity. But I know you are old enough/ Hahaha!
:bsmilie:

Terence said:
I recently watched Appleseed, I'm not really much into Anime but I was quite blown away by the animation on this superb film.

As this really isn't my type of thing, would any of you hardcore anime fans be able to recommend any other movies made with the high level of CG animation in the style of Appleseed?

For those of you who are into animation and haven't caught this yet, the DVD is available from many stores for about $24. Go watch, it'd blow you away. Smooth character movement, incredible attention to detail, superb rendition, great manga and wonderful sound. Cheesy storyline adds to the whole anime experience...
If you enjoy Sci-Fi anime, you can try Akira, which is quite an old film already.

If your preference is somewhere Fantasy and family-orientated anime, then Hayao Miyazaki's films is what you should be looking at. Some of his better works are Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and a lot more.

Just my 2 baht worth.

Regards,
-Mich- :p

Adding Macross Plus and Zero to shopping list :)

I've watched almost all the Miyazaki films, favorites are Spirited Away, Nausicaä, and My Neighbor Totoro.

I better get to the store now before the list grows... thanks again for the recommendations.

Ooh, I just watched Steam Boy... what a waste of $$. Storyline is all whacked, it started becoming a real B grade movie after the first 45mins... anyone want to buy the DVD real cheap for $10?

Raxephon:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Terence said:
Adding Macross Plus and Zero to shopping list :)

I've watched almost all the Miyazaki films, favorites are Spirited Away, Nausicaä, and My Neighbor Totoro.

I better get to the store now before the list grows... thanks again for the recommendations.

i wouldn't suggest getting Macross Plus or Zero from any local stores, cos most of it is being subbed and worse of all, they squeeze in too many eps into 1 dvd that makes the compression so high it looks like VCD... such animation should be viewed in its best glory... uncompressed...

Ok I need to ask a anime newbie question here... what exactly is a Gundam? Some gun machine robot thingy?

Terence said:
Ok I need to ask a anime newbie question here... what exactly is a Gundam? Some gun machine robot thingy?

Gundam started from its 0079 series... its the name of the 'ultimate' robot in the series...

den started another Z Gundam, if u dun mind sucky graphics, the series is worth the watch... i haven watch the 2005 remake movie... but i think should be quite good...

Anyway in 1979, even til now, japanese have a funny sense of english... the robots inside the series all have about the same name, Gundam, Guncannon, Guntank... haha...:sweat:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i wouldn't suggest getting Macross Plus or Zero from any local stores, cos most of it is being subbed and worse of all, they squeeze in too many eps into 1 dvd that makes the compression so high it looks like VCD... such animation should be viewed in its best glory... uncompressed...

Yup, I have to agree on this... the local so called "copyrighted" sound bad....
;p

Just watched through 6 episodes of Ghost In The Shell : Stand Alone Complex, quite good. The DVDs were a bit expensive though...

There's just so much anime out there, it really depends on which genre you're interested in. There's fantasy, medieval, robots, space, surrealistic etc. If you liked appleseed, you might like cowboy bebop, neon genesis evangelion, last exile, akira, all the ghost-in-the-shell franchise, wolf brigade, etc. Check out animax for reviews and shorts, quite a few of the abovementioned have been released recently in VCD and DVD at the video stores with rather good english subtitles.

I was more taken with the level of animation with Appleseed than the storyline itself. I was actually asking for recommendations of any anime done in a similar style of 3DCG. There was so much depth and a lifelike feel to the animation, really gripped me. I'm open to all genres really.

Status
Not open for further replies.