Status
Not open for further replies.

OttOMaster

Mar 4, 2007
Nee Soon Camp
Hi My first trip to Angkorwatt Cambodia,

Need advice on what to bring,

I have 50,17-40, 24-105 and 70-200.
should I bring all my kids? Not sure if there is lots of walkin.

Oh, do I need flash and triopod?

Advice much appreciated.

otto:think:

I am also going to Angkor Wat at the end of the year and from what I've read and advices from others, it is better to lighten your load because not only is there quite a bit of walking and there are also "climbing" to do (the stairs can be quite steep). Also try to minimize changing of lenses because it is quite dusty there. Tripod is highly recommended as well.

IMO, maybe you can consider leaving either the 24-105 or the 70-200 behind.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I wish to ask fellow bros what will be the additional recommended items to be brought along to Angkor Wat? I suppose the CPL is a must but how about the ND / GND filters?

I 2nd the travelling light opinion.. I will recommend a wide angle lens (your 17-40) and another longer lens for portraits ( whichever you will find most suitable) ..

GND will be most helpful for sunrise and sunset shots~! And end of the year will be a good season with good weather.. ..their peak period also.. :)

Yeah there's a lot of walking/climbing so you probably want to minimize your load. There are very few places that would justify carrying an additional flash (I'd leave it at home).

wear light clothes becos it is crazy hot !:sweat:

thanks guys for all your advice.

gona leave the flash at home and brig along my 17-40, 24-105(cant live without it) and the zoom, just in case too heavy can always leave it in the hotel;)

otto

If you leave it in the hotel, make sure it's in the safe or hide it well ;)

I went there last year and I think bringing a wide angle and the 24-105 would be good enough.
If you want to capture the sunrise and sunset, then you'll need a tripod.
And yes, you'll be walking most of the time so a pair of comfortable shoes and light clothes please!

Depends on the time of year you are going. If year end, the morning and nights can be really cold....

There is alot of walking and climbing. Not sure if your kids can take it. ;p

sorry, hijack too but what airlines you all go by? stay where is recommended?

only Jetstar Asia and Silkair goes there if i am not wrong.. I went by Jetstar asia.. A lot cheaper than Silkair unless you can get silkair offers from zuji or such...

Accomodation wise... there is really a wild range.. from cheap budget backpackers guesthouse to 5star hotels.. I stayed at this guesthouse called the villa siem reap.. www.thevillasiemreap.com .. you might want to check it out.. quite a nice place~ :)

a 28mm lens should suffice.

on a full frame sensor, that is...

a1jf6.jpg

a2pn1.jpg

a3og4.jpg

For Angkor, I would suggest a wide angle lens, GND (For sunset/sunrise)

How far is Angkor Watt from Phnom Penh? appreciate advise in hours by car?

../azul123

How far is Angkor Watt from Phnom Penh? appreciate advise in hours by car?

../azul123

Hi dude,

I'm back,. Great place i would rate a GTGBYD "Got to go befre you die!"

from PP about 5 hr by speed boat and 7 hrs by car, so I was told my my guide.

i went with jet asia and Silk also flys there.

brought all 3 lens there and had no problem lugging them around.
if your travelling on a Tutu better bring along a sugical mask, the dust is a killer.

oh yeah, bring a filter and you got ta get use to shooting at shawdows (i mean bright background)cause the shade is dark and the day is bright & sunny. Shooting in the forest temple is a challenge (where angelina Jolie shot tomb raider).

I hired a wonderful Tutu driver cum guide who speaks good english and I trusted him with my lens/tripot when I go into the temple for shoots, cost 12 USD! a day! got him on the web PM me if you need his contact.

in general the people are very friendly and the kids love to post for you, but better bring sweets for them.

I had fun and wil go back for sure.

otto:D

Hi dude,

I'm back,. Great place i would rate a GTGBYD "Got to go befre you die!"

from PP about 5 hr by speed boat and 7 hrs by car, so I was told my my guide.

i went with jet asia and Silk also flys there.

brought all 3 lens there and had no problem lugging them around.
if your travelling on a Tutu better bring along a sugical mask, the dust is a killer.

oh yeah, bring a filter and you got ta get use to shooting at shawdows (i mean bright background)cause the shade is dark and the day is bright & sunny. Shooting in the forest temple is a challenge (where angelina Jolie shot tomb raider).

I hired a wonderful Tutu driver cum guide who speaks good english and I trusted him with my lens/tripot when I go into the temple for shoots, cost 12 USD! a day! got him on the web PM me if you need his contact.

in general the people are very friendly and the kids love to post for you, but better bring sweets for them.

I had fun and wil go back for sure.

otto:D

What kind of filters did you bring? GND and/or ND? Is your telephoto lens used often? Is it often spacious enough to set up your tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.