angkor wat

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonedx

Nov 9, 2005
DSC_4202-1.jpg

hello guys, once again another newbie here. =)
I would like some feedback on the photography techniques here.
basically, i felt that i overexpose this shot.
though some of my friends commented it looks like painting.
but i feel that i did not bring our the sharpness of the temple.
somehow i feel that something is missing?
no photoshop done at all. please C & C.
thanks!

taken with d60 (kit len 18-55mm VR) @ 18mm

Aperture : f/4.5
Exposure : 1/500
ISO: 200
Focus Mode: Manual

The main issue is that you shot at f/4.5. This gives you a very limited depth of field. F/11 would have been much better.

Your composition seems a bit off... I don't know if I should focus on the temple or the big, bright path on the left.

Color-wise, a polarizing filter would have helped this shot, though i know it's too late for that now.

hi ts

1) may i know why you used manual focusing?

2) like Rashkae said, should have use smaller aperture like f8 and polarizer which will brings out the cloud and saturate the blue sky and the greenery. (but i think this pic can still be save with some pp:).)

3) composition wise,
is your main subject the temple? if so, dont you feel it is very small?
also, your lead lines brings viewers attention in and straight out to the right of the pic.
like Rashkae mentioned, the bright foot path is also distracting.
the lines seems to split the photo into 2 equal halves, since the reflection has got a better color, may i suggest you crop away half of the sky, but take note of the clouds, retain the best possible cloud.

4) may i suggest next time, with far away subject without stunning sky / surrounding, try zoom in and than take a series of shoots from left to right, maintain about 1/3 over lap between photos, come back and stitch together to form a pano.

Last edited:
You main subject is the brigde or Angkor Wat?
Composition is not clear...

Here is the shot I took over the other side...my subject is the brigde.
421045939_69gi8-M.jpg

thanks for all your comments.
okay, to start off, when i shot this picture. what was running through my mind was that i wanted to capture both the temple and the clouds. (and the reflection on the water)
yes, like what all you guys had said. no composition. because, i was standing there and thinking where should i stand to get the best. so i just shot without much thoughs.

what denniskee had said was helpful with the stitching.

dan, i had a similar shot somehow like that. taken from the other side. with the bridge and reflection on the water.

once again, thanks for the feedback!

Actually, you are not really close to Angkor...alot of us will go to the left side - inside where there's also a pond with reflection...it is closer to Angkor Wat without the brigde blocking.
Shotting Angkor Wat is not as easy as taking the a shot. Angkor Wat is West Facing. The sun is behind it...the sky will be very bright when the sun rise. You subject will be dark if you take the shot. Most preferred to take at the evening when the sunset when the sun will cast a warm light in Angkor Wat...that's why they call "Golden Angkor".

thanks for all your comments.
okay, to start off, when i shot this picture. what was running through my mind was that i wanted to capture both the temple and the clouds. (and the reflection on the water)
yes, like what all you guys had said. no composition. because, i was standing there and thinking where should i stand to get the best. so i just shot without much thoughs.

what denniskee had said was helpful with the stitching.

dan, i had a similar shot somehow like that. taken from the other side. with the bridge and reflection on the water.

once again, thanks for the feedback!

hi dan,

though ur intention is good posting ur own photo, pls adhere the the r&r of c&c.

hey..i heard angkor wat looks majestic during sunrise...any pic of it?

went angkor oso :D
ur first pic needs more contrast

Last edited:
hello guys, once again another newbie here. =)
I would like some feedback on the photography techniques here.
basically, i felt that i overexpose this shot.
though some of my friends commented it looks like painting.
but i feel that i did not bring our the sharpness of the temple.
somehow i feel that something is missing?
no photoshop done at all. please C & C.
thanks!

taken with d60 (kit len 18-55mm VR) @ 18mm

Aperture : f/4.5
Exposure : 1/500
ISO: 200
Focus Mode: Manual

it's always tricky to shoot both the skies with water and the subject. a CPL is best used. i went Angkor wat on Xmas last year hee...

try to shoot at f8 at least for landscape. u want those details :D

here is one i took almsot exactly the same location as you. no PP done just cpl i think
3215787248_3d7832b28e.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.