Angkor Wat in December

Do we need to bring a lot of Cambodian currency along or just US$ will do?

USD. Do bring ample small notes, particularly $1 as the local will give you change in local currency which is useless outside the country.

USD would do, they will always give your change back in Cambodia currency.

I just came back from a trip in mid nov.

They accept both currencies there.

My take: There is no need to change for cambodian currency (Riel) at all, but do bring USD in smaller denominations (like $1,$2,$5,$10).

How the cambodian system works:
4000 Riels = 1 USD
If you buy a can of coke that sells for $0.50 USD, you can pay them USD $1 but they give you the change in riels (2000 Riels). Alternatively, you can also pay them 2000 Riels. They accept it as well.They don't have any smaller change for USD (like a quarter 25cents), so you can accumulate a lot of riels through daily transactions.

Thanks for the feedback.
Will bring only US$ for my coming trip then. Can we even change for Cambodian riels here in Singapore at the money changers at all I wonder.
Must really hunt hard for small denominations US$. Money changers do not normally stock up on small notes here. :(

Try changing small USD notes at your hotel, they usually receive quite some small notes at recept-counter.

Try changing small USD notes at your hotel, they usually receive quite some small notes at recept-counter.
That's a good suggestiom. Thanks.

I visited Siem Reap in late October just after the flood and there were sandbags lining some of the shops near the Old Market (Psar Chas). Initially, I was prepared to wake up at 4.30am for 3 consecutive mornings for a clear sky. And we were lucky and had 4 days of clear sky. I got my Angkor Wat sunrise shot on the first morning.

Yes, the blue tarpaulin sheets and the green netting are still hanging on the facade. But it not a problem for the sunrise shot because I was interested in the colour of the sky and the silhouette of the temple.

Last edited:
hi heading there in March.
can anyone recommend a reliable driver?
wanted to get a driver for an early morning shoot at the temple and then drive around the city. thanks

hi, most likely the minute u step into the taxi from the airport the driver will try to push u his service. Quotes I get is USD30 per day with additional USD5 for sunrise at Angkor Wat. That's for taxi. USD12 for Tuk-tuk per day with additional USD3 for sunrise at Angkor Wat. Don't rush into committing with the drivers first. Speak with a few drivers to get quotes and go with the one that you feel comfortable with.

Hi all,

I am going to Angkor Wat in March. Have some questions yet to be answered:
1. Are monks abundant over there? Are they corperative or they have to be paid before they pose? If yes what is the rate?
2. Read about hot-air balloon service at the entrance of Angkor Wat. Anyone tried their service? Do you get your own private "basket" or they squeeze a lot of people into the basket?

thanks in advance.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi all,

I am going to Angkor Wat in March. Have some questions yet to be answered:
1. Are monks abundant over there? Are they corperative or they have to be paid before they pose? If yes what is the rate?
2. Read about hot-air balloon service at the entrance of Angkor Wat. Anyone tried their service? Do you get your own private "basket" or they squeeze a lot of people into the basket?
You would have to share the balloon with some people. Depending on the time of day you go, there may not be very many people in the balloon. There would probably need to be at least 10 passengers before they would start the ride. If you go too early in the morning, you might not see anything of Angkor Wat because of the mist. But with some mist, you might get the chance to some very atmospheric shots of Angkor Wat like this... with a zoom lens of course ;)
140695498.jpg

thanks Tomcat. is there anything I need to be aware of when I am there e.g. personal safety, what not to be missed etc?

Hi Daniel,

The monks are there daily, you do not need to pay any money to them.
Some allows you to have their photo taken, some might refuse. But most are friendly.
Please do not pay the monks, I don't think that will encourage good habit! :)

Happy shooting

-----------------------------------------------------
Matt Mulyadi - Photoblog -

thanks Tomcat. is there anything I need to be aware of when I am there e.g. personal safety, what not to be missed etc?
Angkor Wat is one of those destinations that's best explored free-and-easy. It is also one of the easiest and cheapest to do so. As there are too many temples to visit there unless you planned to stay there for a long time, it is best to google the internet for the temples that are there and shortlist some that you feel are 'must-sees'. There are hundreds of hotels ranging from budget to 5-stars in Siem Reap. Some 4-star spa hotels there like the one we stayed in (Tara Angkor) are really great value for money especially if you book them online when some of these sites have special offers on.

As for tours, make arrangement for private tour guides before you leave so that everything could be arranged for you beforehand. There are thousands of private tour guides in Siem Reap. Everywhere I go, I see more tourists being led by their private guides than by packaged tours. The private tour guides are not at all costly. Ours cost the 2 of us US$170 nett only for a 3 day tour itinerary with air-con car and driver provided. They will even pick you up from the airport and send you to the airport when you depart. They will provide you with an itinerary for your stay that will be a lot more than what is covered by the group packaged tours and you can arrange with them for other temples that you want to see that's not in their proposed itinerary. Siem Reap is quite safe as long as you don't invite trouble by going wandering in some lonely back alleys. Having your own private tour guides helps as they would look after your safety and can act as interpretators for you with other locals if necessary.

What not to miss? Cambodian cuisine is realy nice... somewhat between Thai and Vietnamese in taste... and cheap by our standard. You could have a really sumptuous meal at your hotel's restaurants for something like our hawker stall zicha prices. And if you like to buy Angkor Wat guide books, don't buy them at the bookstores.... buy them from peddlers at many of the temples at ridiculously low prices (make sure you bargain hard)... they are pirated versions but you will never be able to tell as the print quality is that good. The people there are really poor and you would be really helping them a lot if you buy these books and other handicraft stuff from them instead.

Just got back from Siem Reap 3n4d. Beautiful place!
Some useful tips:
1. Must bring small USD denominations 1/5/10s
2. If you are going to visit more than 2 days in Angkor buy the 3 day pass @ USD40
If you arrive SR in the afternoon like i did, head to Angkor at 5pm and buy a pass, they will let you in free for that entry and ur pass starts tomorrow. I went in to take some shots of the sunset.
3. TukTuks are readily available everywhere, anywhere with in the vicinity of the 'city' is 1USD only! do not give more. Below are the rates what i paid for transport:
Anywhere with in City - 1USD
Only Angkor Wat Sunset or Sunrise - USD5
Full day tour - USD12 with SR or SS add USD3
I have ctc of a reliable TukTuk driver for those who wish to try.
4. For ladies, if you want to climb up the 3rd story of Angkor wat temple, must wear knee level shorts and no tank tops, must cover shoulder
5. Some stairs are seriously dangerous and steep
6. Not all stone carvings and structures are from the 'old' days, they keep restoring and remodeling. it was quite obvious as one stone statue looked old and the one beside it looks brand new. so if you want to photography always go with the old one.
7. Bring torch light if you are planning to see the sunrise/sunset. If you are not keen on the typical 3 tower angkor wat sunrise i recommend you to hike up the temple called 'Phnom Bakheng' its a 15min trek uphill once up there the 360 overview is amazing.
8. Pubstreet has great food but Restaurants bit pricey. Had great meals at the 'sidewalk' seafood bbq places. Forgot the name but particularly the one at the corner with a 'blue sign board'. Tiger prawns and snapper were awsome!
9. Hot air ballon was ex 15USD for about a 12-15min ride but well worth it.
10. It is pretty safe in Siem Reap and Angkor wat
11. For the kids who pester you to buy souveniers @ Angkor, never say you will come back, just politely say no. Bring some candies for them iso buying stuff from them.
12. Bring water, good thing my tuktuk driver offers free water if not die of thirst.
13. Dont fall for the tourist traps of donating school supplies to schools and kids, they will just recycle items and resell them. If you really want to do a dontation, go to the the free hospital for kids in SR, i dont know the name but you will pass by it everytime going to Angkor wat. That hospital is for the children of Cambodia and its free of charge for cambodians. You will see a huge line all day long there.

Great advice on this thread. I am planning a trip there next month.
Does anyone has private tour guide to recommend?

Just came back from SR two weeks ago.
1) guide n air-con car USD50 per day (USD25 each)
2) USD 100 note can change in hotel, everywhere use USD
3) guide will prvide cold mineral water
4) I engage this guide very knowledgable, he will pick u up at airport or bus depot depend on your arrival
U can contact him, prem sophiap <sophiapprem@yahoo.com> for enquiry
5) sunrise for USD 10 ( USD5 each for guide n car)
6) Go to Banteay Srei extra USD15
Weather is very hot now, bring sunscreen lotion
I stay in Parklane hotel, good n cheap