Angkor Wat...Borobudor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roDz

Feb 6, 2006
On A Little Red Dot
Anybody been to these places? Or anybody planning for a trip to any of these 2 places?

Anybody been to these places? Or anybody planning for a trip to any of these 2 places?

Just PM you...i have been there...i have some pns pixs..:) hope it helps u..:)

Well... I can be considered as currently staying "next door" to Borobudur. :bsmilie: Does that count?

Anyway, if you're planning on a visit to Borobudur, since you would be most likely be flying Garuda, you should be landing and putting up in hotel in Yogyakarta. So, don't miss out on visiting Prambanan, Keraton Jogja, etc. If you are flying by silkair, you would have to land in Solo, which is about 1+hour drive away from Jogja. From Jogja it is similary about another hour ++ drive to Borobudur (which is actually in another province altogether).

going to Seam Riep? 4 places worth visiting; Angkor Wat, Bayon, Beng Melea and Tha Prom. sunrise at Angkor Wat is spectacular.

Well... I can be considered as currently staying "next door" to Borobudur. :bsmilie: Does that count?

Anyway, if you're planning on a visit to Borobudur, since you would be most likely be flying Garuda, you should be landing and putting up in hotel in Yogyakarta. So, don't miss out on visiting Prambanan, Keraton Jogja, etc. If you are flying by silkair, you would have to land in Solo, which is about 1+hour drive away from Jogja. From Jogja it is similary about another hour ++ drive to Borobudur (which is actually in another province altogether).

Tanx..i'm still contemplating whether to go to Borobudor or Angkor Wat...and Bali...but i've been to Bali...been to Indonesia(Jkt...Banten...Banyu Mas-kampongs)...Angkor Wat would be a new experience...but places in Indonesia that i'd like to visit in the future would be Jogja(keraton as u've mentioned)..Borobudor..etc..

going to Seam Riep? 4 places worth visiting; Angkor Wat, Bayon, Beng Melea and Tha Prom. sunrise at Angkor Wat is spectacular.

tanx bro...but my main destination is still Angkor Wat...maybe if time permits can visit other places of interest...

tanx bro...but my main destination is still Angkor Wat...maybe if time permits can visit other places of interest...

you may buy the US$40 pass for the 3-full day for the Angkor Archaeological Park (Angkor Wat and the other temples are all in there). You need to give them 2 passport photos
They stick one of your photos onto a laser-printed pass for identification, lamenated. Dun loss it or forget to bring, they would not allow entry without the pass.

you may buy the US$40 pass for the 3-full day for the Angkor Archaeological Park (Angkor Wat and the other temples are all in there). You need to give them 2 passport photos
They stick one of your photos onto a laser-printed pass for identification, lamenated. Dun loss it or forget to bring, they would not allow entry without the pass.

Tanx....sis...;)...planning my vacation soon.....i hope...

Would most certainly like to see Borobudur, Prambana, keraton ...... if I have about 5 days, would it be enough?

Not too sure when is your last visit there...

At the payment booth of the Angkor Archaeological Park, you no longer need to submit any photos. Instead, the booth uses webcam to take your photo and print it out on the pass instantly.

Last thing, always bring it with you within the park compound. Even when travelling between different temples, there are rangers that are stationed outside to check on your pass.

Cheers

wahh so good...last time i have to quickly re-develop photos for this entry pass.

but do they keep your pix in their data for any other usage? hmmm..:bigeyes:

wahh so good...last time i have to quickly re-develop photos for this entry pass.

but do they keep your pix in their data for any other usage? hmmm..:bigeyes:

Dun think so... anyway the photos are very low in resolution (even my face looks so pixelated so there's nothing to worry about) :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Would most certainly like to see Borobudur, Prambana, keraton ...... if I have about 5 days, would it be enough?

Quite enough. Unless you plan on going back again and again to catch just the perfect sunrise/sunset.

Most decent hotels here provide their services in helping you to arrange a tour to those places (including vehicle, driver, guide and entrance fees). Or if you prefer, they can also arrange just the vehicle and driver for you.

Here is my gallery for your viewing pleasure.

http://wolfgang.clubsnap.org/gallery/Cambodia

Hope this helps. ;) You do have to be mindful of the seasons as they have a wet season where it will pour non stop and that will cause a lot of the roads to become impassable.

Good luck and have fun planning for your trip. :)

Enough said bout Siem Reap, quite spectacular but easy to do even on your own. Can use this tuk-tuk driver ongvotha@yahoo.com, speaks perfect english and knows his way around. April 1st (i think) is their National Day equivalent where you see them dacing everywhere around bonfires but also means some shops are closed.

Yogya would be a little trickier, sites there to be much further out from town. Some are even as far as an hour away, but its really a handicarft capital of this region (most of things from Bali come from here), but you would need to move outside of towns and into villages. I did however managed to get to the site by 6am and had Borbudur entirely to myself for almost an hour (this was of course after the earthquake in Jun 06). The Orang Asli there sometimes come into town, with their little leave only at vital placements, quite funny. Think best way to move around is on motorbike (Rp40K), i used a guide (or rather my motobike driver, what do you call them? gave him Rp50K and bought some batik) i chatted up near Kraton, to rush me through the 3/4 days there. Try Yogyes.com for more information, as most travel guides only have limited information on Yogya, there are ALOT of candi too but most are really not worth it. Do not forget Merapi and the Ramayanan show there, the best i've seen.

Of course, did both these trips on my own. Come to think of it because of Yogya, i enrolled in first aid class and bring a mini first aid kit for ALL my photography trips. Recommended for all travel photographer.

Did angkor wat in January, i think u will need about 3 days to cover it well and do read up on it before you go. Books are also sold there as low as about 3usd per copy.

we stayed at ta promh hotel which is a bit far from angkor wat complex but the difference is negligable as u have to still take a vehicle there.

When hiring a tuk2 hire it for the whole day i think it cost us something lik 12usd for whole day. He will wait for you at every site u want and be there when u come out and pay the tuk2 driver at the end of the day. Sunrise and sunset are great! but i missed them all as i squeezed in the whole ankor wat complex in half a day hence not many good photos.

Some points is that the monks in ankor wat does not mind having their pictures taken and is quite happy to do so.

It can be quite warm and u get quite sweaty so dress light and good walking shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.