Angkor Wat: Anyone there.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim_boy

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

May be visiting this place soon. Heard from some Cambodians that it's a very huge place and the majority is not covered by normal tour operators. A good understanding of the place and a good shooting period would take about 1 week, not 1-2 days.

Anyone been to this place? Would appreciate some tips.

Thanks.

jim_boy said:
Hi all,

May be visiting this place soon. Heard from some Cambodians that it's a very huge place and the majority is not covered by normal tour operators. A good understanding of the place and a good shooting period would take about 1 week, not 1-2 days.

Anyone been to this place? Would appreciate some tips.

Thanks.

I've seen a lots of pics of this place,some of them very common. It's really up to your creativity & your taste.Don't always shoot in the standing position,squat down,look up,go close with wide angles.compose with a strong foreground,play with the depth.

Note that its rainy season Sept-Oct. so ... you really should check weather forecast first.

Angkor Wat itself is just ONE attraction in Siem Reap, Cambodia. well, the most famous one. Just like Zoo is just one attraction in Singapore. You can probably spend one whole day there, from sunrise till sunset. It might get boring in between, just sit around and chat with the monks or other visitors.

There are many many "ruins" accessible from Siem Reap, all within driving distance. Thats what your cambodian friend meant. There are also further places which is a day trip on their own. Too bad, due to the cost involved, we decided to go to only one place, but we think its really worth it afterwards. Thinking back, spending the additional money to go to these further places is definitely worth the time and money, shouldn't stinch on it. :(

I reckon it takes about 6-7 days to do a go-around to visit most of the major and minor ruin at least once. They have a tourist pass system. for 1-day, 3-days, and 6 or more days, something like that. The pass will give you access to all the ruins, (and you really need it, they do check). Accompanying the pass is a map showing you where all the runins are. However, you should hire a local driver to bring you around. I still have the contact of my mini-bus driver, friendly, and english speaking. the mini-bus is good for a group of 4-6 photographers (with equipment). PM me if you wish.

Its mainly architetcture type of shoot. And some landscape shots thrown in here and there. Really up to your interest. Many street scenes opportunities too. Its so different from Singapore, almost everything is worth shooting.

Wide angle lens is a necessity in a lot of cases. Tripod another must, low light condition in-door. be prepared to shoot ISO 50 or ISO 100 outdoor, and then switch to ISO 400 / 800 as you move indoors.

Good Luck.

Was there in Siem Reap with Hangdog and another fren from 6 to 11 Sep 03. It's rainy season now from Sep to Nov. Accoding to the locals, the best time to go is January period where u get clear blue sky everyday. These period, it probably rain every other day or everyday with overcast sky and diffused lighting. Not a very good weather for photography. Tripod needed for most occasions.

If u want, I can email u our itinerary. We did quite an extensive coverage of the Angkor Archeological Parks other than the further outskirt like Kbal Spleen & Mount Kulen.

Gimme a PM if u r interested. or go to the forum in www.offstone/photo under the B&W section. I did post some photos of our trip there.

keep to the path thats worn down coz u know ppl have walked there. still got rumours of lines there,

I think you are refering to mines, not lines.

As far as I have been told Siem Reap is safe now. However, exercise caution, better safe than sorry.

Other parts of cambodia?? its anyone's guess man. I think the combat enigeers are still out there searching and blowing up mines. DON'T try to go no man has gone before, thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.