Angkor Wat and Bangkok via Land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que Lynn

Jun 13, 2002
Singapore! :)
www.pbase.com
Hi all,

Was wondering if you guys can help? Are there any tours still around going to Angkor Wat? I guess the tour operators I've inquired at are rather scared about going there, so am wondering if it's really that dangerous nowadays?

Also, has anyone travelled to Bangkok from Singapore on land? Meaning via rail? How was it? How much did it cost?

Thanks for any help! :p

Hi there........

You could get a bus ticket from any tour agency in Singapore(esp at the Golden Mile Shopping Centre) to Bangkok. Once there in Bangkok, look for guest houses( can't remember the exact names of the street, but remember that it's Something like Bampooloo area, look up the lonely planet guide, it's in there) There are plentiful of small tour agenies at these guest Houses, offering bus trips to Siem Reap where the Famous Ang Kor Wat is... ...

7d5207ef543d53840214cfa06ece4fa4-AngKorWat.jpg

Here is a pic of Ang Kor Wat taken during my last backpacking trip there last dec. Not too well taken, cos i was rushing for time when i was taking this pic....;p

If u need any more infos, feel free to pm me... See ya... :)

Hi Lynn,

Oh, i spent S$45 or so for a VIP coach to Hat Yai, which from there i took another mini-bus to Krabi first. Spent abt 3 days there before i embarked on another coach ride to Bangkok.
Coach to Bangkok from Krabi is abt $50 ++ (can't exactly remember) But then again, u could take the government buses to Bangkok too from Hat Yai which is cheaper but takes a much longer time. Just got to ask around or follow the lonely planet' guide. It's quite accurate. :)
Oh, from Singapore to Hat Yai is abt 12hrs ++ ride with lots of breaks in between. And another 12 hrs or so from Hat Yai to Bangkok.
Oh ah, forget to mention that you'll need to apply for visa to Cambodia embassy. And normally it's takes a week or so to process. (Did mine in Bangkok's Cambodia embassy for 1000Baht==S$50 or so)
Another thing is Siem Reap is not as dangerous as one will think; in fact, i enjoyed my week's stay there very much. The ppl are very friendly, the lavish greenery, not to mentioned the majestic Ang Kor Wat. However, having said that, it's still not as safe as in Singapore. So i'd advise you to get a travelling partner before embarking to Cambodia.
I don't think i've covered everything here, so if you do need more infos, i hope i could help.
Ya, i've a VCD on Ang Kor Wat which i got in Cambodia and a Micheal Freeman's Ang Kor Wat's Pictorial book. If u want to view them, i could lend them to you. :)
Cheers!

zapline!

gosh, i only remembered about this post now... thank you so much for the information you have posted here! i think i know the guesthouses you are talking about. i am in communication with someone there right now to book a room before going. it is on khao san road.

the land trip to bangkok is way too long for us though... don't have enough time now. but maybe a few months from now i will try that route out by myself. :p

thank you so much! and for offering the vcd and books to look at... i will check what the library near hear has first and surf the net a little bit more.

once again, many thanks to your info... :)

Hi Lynn,

Ya, those guesthouses are along Khao san rd....
In any case, do hope that u enjoy urself for this trip just as I had..:)

See ya, Hope to see u post those pics taken there...:)
Bon voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.