Angkor Wat - 1-2 sentence tips

Shen siung

May 21, 2008
Yes I know this is a too popular topic and probably discuss over and over. All over the website.
A few CS thread but info are lacking, and it was closed.

My queries here very simple. I'm looking for tips.

Would like to seek your wisdom in sharing your 1-2 sentence tips on "how to get a good sunrise photo of Angkor Wat." (of course not to talk about technical of photography ;p, more on logistic, etc, etc)
Best to share the location. I.e. slightly towards left or right. Or even select a location other than the "conventional lotus pond" :angel:

Many thanks for your effort.

I've got a trip planned in February myself and have been doing my research but not much from Clubsnap with a lot of broken links to photos.

From what I've gathered from other sources:

1. If you arrive in the evening and buy the pass (1 day 3 day or 7 day pass) to Ang Kor, you may enter to watch the sunset from 5pm onwards without it counting as a day.
2. I intend to cycle around and this website has a good account of how to do it base on the number of days you have. According to him, he reached at 4am for the sunrise and there already many people. Might wanna start early or do the circuit in reverse. There are a lot of other tips embedded in there. http://www.solobackpacker.com/2012/12/31/how-to-plan-3-days-cycling-in-angkor-archaeological-park/

Thanks for the tips!
Any other CSer got tips?

For sunrise, everyone will be shooting at the same location at the edge of the water. Go early, and I mean really early. Stake out a good spot. Recently there are many cases of some very inconsiderate shooters who will walk in front of other photographers and set up right in front. To avoid that, make sure you are really at the edge of the water, with one or two legs in or almost in the water. You will see it happening during the sunrise. And be prepared to see fights breaking out if you are lucky/unlucky.

For sunrise, everyone will be shooting at the same location at the edge of the water. Go early, and I mean really early. Stake out a good spot. Recently there are many cases of some very inconsiderate shooters who will walk in front of other photographers and set up right in front. To avoid that, make sure you are really at the edge of the water, with one or two legs in or almost in the water. You will see it happening during the sunrise. And be prepared to see fights breaking out if you are lucky/unlucky.

people actually fight there?

Personally, I don't find Angkor Wat sunrise so fascinating.
maybe the day I was there isn't good.
depending on where you stay, Angkor Wat isn't too far from the main the gate so I guess cycle may still be achievable.
But anytime, I rather pay a driver to bring me round.

I think we woke up at abt 430-5, there abt for the Sunrise. However, my impression , sunset was much better.

Cheers!

Thanks for the valuable tips.
Just read it. I have returned.
Yes I reached the pond around 4.40 am. The checking gate was opened around 4.25 am. According to tuk tuk driver that's the earliest time.
Read some info stated to reach there around 4 am, not sure can be done or not. Maybe it was during the month when sunrise is earlier (mid year, around 5.30 am).
When I reached, I was among the earliest. another group of about 15 people reached about 2 - 3 min ahead of me.
The sun rising about 6.30 am.

Personally, I don't find Angkor Wat sunrise so fascinating.
maybe the day I was there isn't good.
depending on where you stay, Angkor Wat isn't too far from the main the gate so I guess cycle may still be achievable.
But anytime, I rather pay a driver to bring me round.

I think we woke up at abt 430-5, there abt for the Sunrise. However, my impression , sunset was much better.

Cheers!

Probably I have seen so many Angkor Wat sunrise photos, so for me I also find it "just ok"
However I was not able to find a great sunset spot.

To just share my own experience, in case CSer need it:

1. Get the ticket one day in advance.
2. Wake up early, best to check with tuk tuk driver what time the ticket checking gate open.
3. Reach there early. If you have big group of at least 3, can "built a human barrier" to prevent "weird" people to anyhow go to the front later. However this doesn't mean to "chop" the front place unreasonably.
4. The million dollar question - left or right side of the pond? I realized in Jan the sun rising towards the right side of the "3 pagoda". Some postcard showing sun rising on the extreme left of the 3 pagoda. Can also try the other pond on the right side of the lotus pond.
5. Composition. Thousands of photographer has taken this sunrise before, so to get a unique one, best to check out the scene one day before.
6. If arrive late, doesn't mean the end of the day. Politely ask people to give some space. Sometimes, sadly, western people are more willing to give a bit way, compared to Asians.

Anyway, to me, though I may have a good location sometimes, I will try to squad down to allow people behind me stand a chance to get a shot.

Dont just go for sunrise. Still have the star trail if u can be at location that early. During my upcoming Europe trip, I am going to do a few star trail whenever I can. :D

Strange, when I was there, people started leaving when the sky turned blue but the sun was still behind the towers.

Anyway, to make sure you get the shot, just wear slippers and prepare to go into the water in the so called worse case scenario. I was prepared to do that but didn't need to because of what I mentioned above.

If you see clouds, you're lucky and likely to see the sunlight rays.

You are right that people left. To me, I suspect that, since the best time is about 10-20 min before we actually see the sun (depends the day) when the sky is more colourful.
The moment when we see the sun (it's not appearing from horizon) it's already too bright and much diificult to get a nice shot with colourful sky.