Angel of the North

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodle34

Jan 28, 2010
Angel+of+the+North+%28Cropped%29.jpg

Here's a little abstract from Wiki about Angel of the North:

"The Angel of the North is a contemporary sculpture designed by Antony Gormley, which is located in Gateshead, England.
As the name suggests, it is a steel sculpture of an angel, standing 66 feet (20 m) tall, with wings measuring 178 feet (54 m) across. The wings themselves are not planar, but are angled 3.5 degrees forward, which Gormley has said aims to create "a sense of embrace".[1] It stands on a hill, on the southern edge of Low Fell overlooking the A1 road and the A167 road into Tyneside and the East Coast Main Line rail route, and just south of the site of Team Colliery.
"

I consider myself an amateur (hence my first post) who's gotten myself a G9 last year, trying to learn more about "cameraphy".
Hope is to move into DSLR, if $$$ permits.. =)

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, lighting and feel.

2. What I hope to achieve with this piece of work?

Can you feel "sheltered and loved" looking at this? (BTW the "small" couple is not staged.. they just happened to be there!)
I was hoping to show the massiveness of the statue as well.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was taken ard March last year in UK (Spring time?), Sunny, windy, clear blue sky. I know nuts about PS, so simply used MS Office Pic Manager to crop off some top and bottom.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I like this picture - the dark silhouette against the sweeping blue sky.. But I think it's kinda too dark in some areas (is this what's termed under-exposed?!)

The sculpture is interesting. I wished that I could have a clear look at it. It's a pity since that is the focus of the picture.

if only you could go forward more and just take this shot without the trees on the right- or you could try cloning the trees out with the blue skies. right now the trees is stealing all the attention from your subject.
the tiny shadow at the bottom is doing it too. im not sure if its human or a signboard. once again not sure if its your thing, can try cloning it out.

the trees to the left are actually a good compliment to the photo.

I like this picture - the dark silhouette against the sweeping blue sky.. But I think it's kinda too dark in some areas (is this what's termed under-exposed?!)
if your intention is dark sihouette, its not underexpose. if your intention is to show the angel , then it is under expose. i quite like the sihouette.

this is what i mean, i will take down the photo in 2 weeks time or when u ask me too.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
i have never seen a picture of the angel of the north. i guess i would have to wait for another picture from u. I cannot see the details in this photo.

This was in Newcastle or somewhere there is it?I think I saw it on Top Gear train vs car challenge

if only you could go forward more and just take this shot without the trees on the right- or you could try cloning the trees out with the blue skies. right now the trees is stealing all the attention from your subject.
the tiny shadow at the bottom is doing it too. im not sure if its human or a signboard. once again not sure if its your thing, can try cloning it out.

the trees to the left are actually a good compliment to the photo.

if your intention is dark sihouette, its not underexpose. if your intention is to show the angel , then it is under expose. i quite like the sihouette.

this is what i mean, i will take down the photo in 2 weeks time or when u ask me too.

Untitled-1.jpg
Yes, you are right, your edited version do look much better!! =)
Thanks for the effort! Sure thingy, can leave it there for comparison and comments..

That's another thingy I'll hava learnt - how to edit photos..

i have never seen a picture of the angel of the north. i guess i would have to wait for another picture from u. I cannot see the details in this photo.
If you click onto the Wikipedia link HERE, you will be able to see clearer shots.
It's actually a huge metallic-ribbed sculpture.

This was in Newcastle or somewhere there is it?I think I saw it on Top Gear train vs car challenge
Yep yep, you are right! It's found somewhere near Newcastle, more specifically nearer Gateshead. I was in Gateshead for 3 days, and specially drove there to check it out.. very hard to miss it on the motorways.. I did have my TOMTOM to guide me there though. =)

I remember it as this reddish sculpture... the brochures in Newcastle often feature it. The silhouette idea is good though I'd prefer to see the colour and from a more dynamic angle rather than straight on. Do you have more photos from the Northeast? :)

Unfortunately I did not feel 'sheltered and loved' when looking at this photo.
Although I can see that the statue is much larger than the couple, there are too many elements in the photo to convey that intention clearly.

My humble suggestion (and I'm no pro, of course) to improve the shot would have been to:
1) go closer with a wider angle lens (I guess not possible in your case) to reduce the amount of distraction, and also exaggerate the size of the statue.
2) wait for a more opportune time, when the sky is more interesting than a pale and washed out blue. Probably sunset/sunrise would have presented a more interesting scene.

arh..sound holy. nicenice :thumbsup:

the 1st shot of that angel on the wiki page u provided is very good. it exaggerates the size of the sculpture.

anyway, england is kinda far to go over n re-do that shot. maybe you will have another opportunity next time.

good attempt though, keep it up.

Ahhh, i would love to see some colors and details from your view. :D That's my only comment! Jiayou, keep shooting and up to a DSLR! Definitely a worthy investment!

In terms of composition, I would prefer if it was more dramatic, like shooting low on the wide side..... Good try though.:)

Regarding the feeling of being sheltered etc. This can be very subjective, what the photographer feels may not be what the viewer feels. If there's a match, it'd probably be a 'good' thing, but this really depends on shared experiences and interpretation of semiotics etc.

As in Barthe's 'Camera Lucida', I find myself hardly moved by many photographs, but that doesn't mean the photographer has failed if I don't feel the same way as him. Read the book, hopefully, you'd find it as useful as I did. You have a good shot here btw.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments coming in!! :)

I have a feel that quite a few will rather see more details rather than silhouette of the Angel.. Think at that time I had a hard time trying to focus on the details of the Angel without a washout (ie over-exposed) sky due to the bright sun - not sure how to get the details in bright sunlight w/o overexposing the sky with the G9 leh..

Yessh! the 1st pix in Wiki managed to capture the Angel details and sky very nicely.. almost toy-like feel!!

As for "sheltered & loved".. prob the couple is toooo smallish relative to the angel to have deeper impact. Maybe if the couple was you and your loved one, that will be more meaningful & significant!!? heh..

..and rronnie, guess you are rightz.. kinda tough to be back there again, just for the Angel.. nevertheless, I shall pick up pointers from mentors & students here, so can capture better shots for future escapades! ;)

Hi noodle34,
Due to its huge size, 20m high and 54m wide, the "Angel of the North" steel structure along
the motorway near Newcastle in North England is not easy to express on photo.
wildsoyabean's edited version will look even better if it included few people at the foot of the structure to give it a perspective in size.

Normally when on holiday, whether with a tour group or self drive, as in my case last August,
we are rushing to get to the next town and do not have much time to really take good photos. The lighting conditions, which is very important in photography, may not usually be in our favour.

If you are planning a self drive trip there next, do go to Isle of Skye; the Scottish Highlands; Loch Ness and Dornie Castle. You can get stunning lanscape shots there!

Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.