Ang Bao: to give or nt to give

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonang

May 18, 2004
I was asked to shoot for this couple for a small fee as I know the couple's elder sis personally. Anyway, they "throw" a red bomb to me. Have you guys experience similar things?

so do you give red packet or nt? I mean I dun know the couple personally before this shoot.

I did my first wedding shoot for my tutor, and only collected printing fees. In the end, I got a redpacket from the newly weds and my dad gave an ang pow back...

wilsonang said:
I was asked to shoot for this couple for a small fee as I know the couple's elder sis personally. Anyway, they "throw" a red bomb to me. Have you guys experience similar things?

so do you give red packet or nt? I mean I dun know the couple personally before this shoot.

hmmm... what is throw red bomb on you har? Give you wedding invitation har?:think:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
simple, give him the invoice in an ANG POW...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

wilsonang said:

It made me wonder as well....

My close buddy's sister hired me as a backup photographer in addition to the main guy.
BUT I'm expecting the bomb coming this way. So...

- As a close family friend, am I obliged to give her an ang pow?
- As I'm the backup photographer, it means that I'll be working. So, do they give me the ang pow instead?

Which is which? :dunno:

It's a normal Chinese tradition to give an pows for those who are involve in the wedding. This is to show their generousity to everyone. I have asked a couple of wedding couple's Mom and Dad, and the old folks says the tradition has been brought down from as far as China. So just follow lor.

So it's still up to you all but it's only once in a lifetime thingy. So be generous about it. It's not like we are donating to some charity scam.....haha.:bsmilie:

I have not yet broken that tradition. So far all the wedding shots I have done, the couple's old folks will give a ang pow to me and my assistant without fail.

Pro Image said:
It's a normal Chinese tradition to give an pows for those who are involve in the wedding. This is to show their generousity to everyone. I have asked a couple of wedding couple's Mom and Dad, and the old folks says the tradition has been brought down from as far as China. So just follow lor.

So it's still up to you all but it's only once in a lifetime thingy. So be generous about it. It's not like we are donating to some charity scam.....haha.:bsmilie:

I have not yet broken that tradition. So far all the wedding shots I have done, the couple's old folks will give a ang pow to me and my assistant without fail.

he means he got a red invitation card i suppose

Pro Image said:

Hmm.... If that's da case, I think I can happily snap away, give minimal ang pow and den charge 'em $$$ since I'm doing the prints for them... ;)

wilsonang said:

The couple give you a dinner invitation card and have your name on it, it means you're invited, whether you present or not, hong pow must give to them.

If their are your close relative to them, invitation card will not be given to you, but will invite your personally by themselves or their parents (giving you a card is an insult, means that you’re outsider), and off course hong pow is a must.

On that day, the couple and their parents will or may give you a hong pow, just accept it with thanks, this mostly is for a token of good luck for whoever help out in the event (eg “brothers” or “sister” for the day), unless they mention the hong pow for your wages of photography services.

Hope this help.

just give them the ang bao since you got the invitation.
or don't give since you are the cameraman. they should give you.

either way i won't be bothered and i will just bill them according after the event.

wilsonang said:

I do not think when they gave you the invitation it is with expectation for ang pow, i think they did that as a courstesy coz you are their sis' friend. So you need not give them ang pow.

Give them ang bao is like a blessing to them and given you the chance to congrat them personally, i think it is only right to give them one if they have send you an invitation card. But do it with your mean, if you can't give a big one, give a much smaller one. :rolleyes:

hhmmm... looks like i din quote enuff for them... tot fren fren qoute cheap cheap... than throw bomb at me... sianz...

You can give the angpow as a token of goodwill towards them. Dun think that they expect a lot from you in the first place and they would understand that you did not get to "enjoy" the dinner, plus helping out in the event.

Usually the helpers for a wedding will get an angpow from the couple as a "thank you" for helping out.

I would give a small one since not so familiar w them.

Aiya depends lah, if not so good than give the Ang Pow that they give to you as a token back to them loh.

wilsonang said:
hhmmm... looks like i din quote enuff for them... tot fren fren qoute cheap cheap... than throw bomb at me... sianz...
Charge them cheap-cheap?

I assume it doesn't come with hardcopy prints den?

KILL THEM THERE! ;)

I got zero quote (as expected, a free job) for my friend's wedding shoot in December. Yes, shoot free. I'm going to slaughter them for the hardcopy prints and book binding to make sure my ang pow comes back twice over. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.