Andrzej Wrotniak Does an E500 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's an interesting tidbit i picked out from his preview...

# JPEG compression: selectable as 1:8 (standard), 1:4 (HQ) and 1:2.7 (SHQ). I consider this a good choice, and Olympus is quite conservative in naming these settings.

For comparison, the Canon EOS 350D uses two compression settings, named Fine (1:6) and Normal (1:11). The Nikon D50 allows for three settings; Fine (1:5), Normal (1:9), and Basic (1:17), obviously more objective naming than Canon's.

We can see that the worst quality setting in Olympus cameras is close to the best one in the Canon, and to the middle one on the Nikon. This should be taken into account when comparing writing speeds and continuous shooting rates.

To add on.. the HQ setting on the Oly beats BOTH the C n N Fine(Highest) quality....

Ya, I like Olympus's way of designing products : No compromise in Quality kind of principal.

For instance, when they say RAW, they really mean 'RAW', not anything like lossy RAW.

hammer_400 said:
here's an interesting tidbit i picked out from his preview...

# JPEG compression: selectable as 1:8 (standard), 1:4 (HQ) and 1:2.7 (SHQ). I consider this a good choice, and Olympus is quite conservative in naming these settings.

For comparison, the Canon EOS 350D uses two compression settings, named Fine (1:6) and Normal (1:11). The Nikon D50 allows for three settings; Fine (1:5), Normal (1:9), and Basic (1:17), obviously more objective naming than Canon's.
Small correction:
Nikon D50, D70, and D70s use following JPEG compression: Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), and Basic (1:16). Those number are from D50 (page 31) and D70s (page 41) manual.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Small correction:
Nikon D50, D70, and D70s use following JPEG compression: Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), and Basic (1:16). Those number are from D50 (page 31) and D70s (page 41) manual.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi Arto,

Thanks for the info. You sure know the technical data of your camera but where are your latest pictures with your new camera??? ;) All of us here are waiting to see your latest masterpiece. ;p

No lock-down in certain feature, such as the high speed flash sync of 1/4000 sec (FP-TTL) with external flash. This mean, all Olympus users, E-1, E-300 and E-500 can make use of external flash to its fullest.

Again, no compromise!

Status
Not open for further replies.