And Life rolls on by..

Status
Not open for further replies.

luntut

Oct 19, 2007
Punggol
This has been hidden deep within my collection for quite a while already.. just recently figured out how to do some light PP-ing.. Placed it at Streets and Candid, but gotten no comment. decided to shift it here to garner more comments.

Met this old guy, he was just limping really bad, inching his way along the pavement. And as he walked, he watched the cars roll by.. he looked to be in soo much discomfort.. Forgotten by a world rolling on by around him.. Resigned to fate.

3236734170_58c153a733.jpg

and I moved ahead, standing by the traffic light watching him.. and after what seemed like 4 minutes, he hasn't moved far... Appreciate that we are all healthy and young. For the day will come where the world will just roll on by you..

C&C please! =)

Good shot! The cars leads me to the old man and the old man's gaze leads me back to the cars...:bsmilie:

As a result, there is a defined contrast between both subjects and thats where the title fits in.

Good shot! The cars leads me to the old man and the old man's gaze leads me back to the cars...:bsmilie:

As a result, there is a defined contrast between both subjects and thats where the title fits in.

thanks for the compliments!

but I just kinda felt that the background was stil quite kinda cluttered.. if there was juz one or 2 less cars... ? and is the amount of bokeh enough to allow the subject to stand out in the image? IMO there is not really a very obvious subject.. i dunno...

any other comments?? good, bad all appreciated! better if its bad though. =)

wow...definitely a cool picture there. as mentioned the picture is simple yet portrayed meaningfully.
may i know which lens and gear u used for this shot.and at what aperture?

I thought its a bit underexposed, or which Fstop did u use?
Bokeh is nice there, positioning of the man is ok ok, but could have more room under his feet.
Will it have a better impact, or outcome had you taken it from his front, showing his expressions?

I love the composition.....
But I think that the colours are abit dull.

Maybe you did that on purpose?

No offence, here's my thoughts as a newbie..

someone once told me that back shots show a lack of courage to face the subject. after a lot of thought, this isn't always the case, but definitely one wants to see the face, after all the eyes are the major defining feature of what it is to be human or alive. there are shots that work with just the back being shown, be it a sense of anonymity, a lack of identity, the list goes on. there is no real context or reason for this approach being taken here though.

that aside, i have no quarrels with the colours; but a better placement of the subject, rather than shoved to the side, and tightly bound by the top and bottom frame edge at that.. would do wonders, for sure. :)

wow...definitely a cool picture there. as mentioned the picture is simple yet portrayed meaningfully.
may i know which lens and gear u used for this shot.and at what aperture?

thanks for the compliment! I shot this using my D80 with 70-300. I shot this just a while after i laid my hands on a DSLR, so not very good with settings then, used A mode. :bsmilie: aperture was at f/8...

I thought its a bit underexposed, or which Fstop did u use?
Bokeh is nice there, positioning of the man is ok ok, but could have more room under his feet.
Will it have a better impact, or outcome had you taken it from his front, showing his expressions?
\

Fstop was at 8, was a newer newbie then ma.. haha. everything was in focus, had to photoshop some bokeh into the picture... my shot was actually tilted 2 degrees right. after straightening, and cropping, there was not any space left. haha.

I love the composition.....
But I think that the colours are abit dull.

Maybe you did that on purpose?

No offence, here's my thoughts as a newbie..

non taken. =) yep did that on purpose. wanted to give it something of a yellowed, aged feeling. like something being left alone for a longg while, and it turns yellow.. but it became too warm looking when i added yellow.. so ended up simply desaturating it.. maybe i should play with textures??

Last edited:
someone once told me that back shots show a lack of courage to face the subject. after a lot of thought, this isn't always the case, but definitely one wants to see the face, after all the eyes are the major defining feature of what it is to be human or alive. there are shots that work with just the back being shown, be it a sense of anonymity, a lack of identity, the list goes on. there is no real context or reason for this approach being taken here though.

that aside, i have no quarrels with the colours; but a better placement of the subject, rather than shoved to the side, and tightly bound by the top and bottom frame edge at that.. would do wonders, for sure. :)

actually i did try a few frontal shots, but they din turn out well.. cos it was a rather narrow pavement that he was on, and there was not enough space to capture how he was looking at the cars. not to mention that the cars were travelling TOWARDS me when i was in front, so the pictures kinda did not feel right.. Below is one of the better frontal shots which i also PP-ed..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/3236734368_8d748611a9.jpg?v=0

anyway did a tighter crop of the picture. does this work? his legs are pretty chopped off though..

3258035460_21645e7b1d.jpg

I like second pic more. I think instead of cropping from feet, why not crop from waist to the top. Just my 2 cents though. Overall, i like it.

I like second pic more. I think instead of cropping from feet, why not crop from waist to the top. Just my 2 cents though. Overall, i like it.

thanks for dropping by!

I was thinking of doing that actually, but that will either take some cars away if i were to maintain aspect ratio, or it will turn it into a 1:2.35 type of paranomic aspect ratio type of image... hmmm.

It is a nice shot with a meaningful theme. However I think it will have more impact if shot from the old man's perspective. As in letting the viewers feel as though they are looking at the cars from the old man's point of view. You might have to change your position and maybe move closer to the man. I am a fan of "over-the-shoulder" perspective. As though you're peeping over his shoulder to look at what he is seeing. But of course space constrains might limit your positioning.

good job overall!

It is a nice shot with a meaningful theme. However I think it will have more impact if shot from the old man's perspective. As in letting the viewers feel as though they are looking at the cars from the old man's point of view. You might have to change your position and maybe move closer to the man. I am a fan of "over-the-shoulder" perspective. As though you're peeping over his shoulder to look at what he is seeing. But of course space constrains might limit your positioning.

good job overall!

i did not think about this POV actually.. should try it out someday..

but i think it will be quite rude to be doing that behind his back right.. its like i am mocking his disability... hmmmm.

thanks for the compliment anyway!

Thinking aloud will chopping of the lower section above the knees be better?

i tried that.. that will look really weird.. will not be able to show his disability.. that he is limping along.. thanks for your suggestion anyway!

ok ok ok so the photo taken is the best job you could have ever done in those circumstances.

give you thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.