And Britannia will forever rule the waves!

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
465934_458622380881974_1807797272_o.jpg

Materialism was not the trend back then :)

Britannia has also ruled Lion City what.

Look at the laguage you speak, books and magazines you read, TV programs you watch etc.

"If you communicate in the language that is not yours forever you are under the cultural domination of a foreign country." - From The Tao, the Way of True Life.

At least we have Singlish and are proudly defending it. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Britannia no longer rule the waves since 10 December 1941.

UK almost got its butt kicked (1982 Falklands). France's generosity (revealing Exocet codes) saved their ass. Or else a few UK warships sunk.

[video=youtube;DRMLFy67VEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMLFy67VEw[/video]

Last edited:
I have always wondered why must "God save the Queen". I guess I know now...UK badly in need of saving.

I have always wondered why must "God save the Queen". I guess I know now...UK badly in need of saving.
"God save the Queen" so she can "scatter her enemies, and make them fall: confound their politics, frustrate their knavish tricks". Anyway her time running up soon, even God cannot save her then.

Last edited:

Only Baroness Margaret Hilda Thatcher can save England.

7714f6ccd2b01b10abeeef7b80934825.jpg

I can see a woman governing Singapore in our lifetime. The like of Saw Phaik Hwa is a prime candidate. :)

This seems quite benign compared to what the British had in mind for the Chinese.

Opium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
China had a positive balance sheet in trading with the British, which led to a decrease of the British silver stocks. Therefore, the British tried to encourage Chinese opium use to enhance their balance, and they delivered it from Indian provinces under British control. In India, its cultivation, as well as the manufacture and traffic to China, were subject to the East India Company, as a strict monopoly of the British government.[SUP][2][/SUP] For supervising and managing the business, there was an extensive and complicated system of government agencies. A massive confiscation of opium by the Chinese emperor, who tried to stop the opium deliveries, led to two Opium Wars in 1839 and 1858, in which Britain suppressed China and traded opium all over the country.

In 1830's and for decades thereafter, England as a state, was the biggest narcotics drug runner in the world.

If you have the patience, can read the full text of a letter sent by Lin Zexu to Queen Victoria.

Commissioner Lin: Letter to Queen Victoria, 1839

Selected quotes therefrom:

By what principle of reason then, should these foreigners send in return a poisonous drug, which involves in destruction those very natives of China?

We have heard that in your own country opium is prohibited with the utmost strictness and severity:---this is a strong proof that you know full well how hurtful it is to mankind. Since then you do not permit it to injure your own country, you ought not to have the injurious drug transferred to another country, and above all others, how much less to the Inner Land!

Last edited:
This seems quite benign compared to what the British had in mind for the Chinese.

i wonder why the brits wanted to subjugate the entire indian sub-continent, while they didn't try that with China.

i wonder why the brits wanted to subjugate the entire indian sub-continent, while they didn't try that with China.

I can only speculate so I should let a better historian than me answer this.

Britain already ruled the world as of now, with the standard use of English as the universal language in commerce, trade and education.

they realized that the chinese weren't to be trifled with. hence, they used opium as a means to destroy their people.