Ancient Canon EF

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
Anyone knows which alternative batteries does Canon EF take?

sk.images

Dec 9, 2005
www.pbase.com
Unless I missed something, somewhere, 'EF' is the naming used for Canon lenses (previously FD). Canon camera's (since the 80's I think) have been know as EOS ***

sk.images

Dec 9, 2005
www.pbase.com
Sorry, forgot about those. I was still a baby when that one came out...

arm

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Canon EF 1973! F-1 style body, shutter priority. A very nice camera.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
can go see if camera hospital still have the battery.

just when i had almost give up on getting battery for connet gl17, i found it there.

jimtong

May 8, 2002
Singapore
jimmyto.ng
There might be alternate replacement for the mercury battery. Check out those 2nd hand camera shop. They still sell battery for those classics.

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
Hey I need these too. I have a Canon EF with a 50mm f/1.4 FD lens that still amazes me with the lens performance.:thumbsup:

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
I wanted to replaced the batteries ever since.. where is camera hospital? I think mercury batteries were discontinued... hope they have some alternatives :)

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
For people who are interested to know... The EF has a voltage regulator, it takes 1.5V 625 batteries. Some are Silver Oxide some Maganese Oxide... doesn't matter. :)

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
Woo Hoo! Finally got a solution. Thanks for the info. But if my camera fry I look for you hor.hehe:bsmilie:

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
jbma said:
Woo Hoo! Finally got a solution. Thanks for the info. But if my camera fry I look for you hor.hehe:bsmilie:
You better hope your camera's voltage regulator still works... haha... :bsmilie: anyway i just heard that the difference in voltage gives slightly off in metering. I think u gotta experience it 1st hand :) ... everyone keep safe a distance! :bsmilie:

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
nickk said:
You better hope your camera's voltage regulator still works... haha... :bsmilie: anyway i just heard that the difference in voltage gives slightly off in metering. I think u gotta experience it 1st hand :) ... everyone keep safe a distance! :bsmilie:
Ok everybody stand clear. I am going to turn my camera on:bsmilie: . Anyway I think it should be ok...I guess...I hope...I pray.

powergoo

Dec 13, 2005
Hey,

one of my favourite camera of all time. I used to own 2 samples, but they had high battery drain rate (about a set of battery for 3 hrs)
So I left with both the old and new F-1.

There is a battery adapter that allows you to use the more regular batteries. As P&G photo B1- @ adelphi.

Happy shooting.

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
The 1.4V Zinc-Air batteries used for hearing aids will last for 3mths only once in contact with air. If the silver oxide can be found then they will last long.

Remember to switch off the camera if not using or else whichever batteries will only last only abt 4 days!!:sweat:

Adapter can also be used can also buy them(x2) but i've found a way to DIY them. But thanks for the info on the location. Will be helpful for CSer!! :thumbsup:

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
nickk said:
The 1.4V Zinc-Air batteries used for hearing aids will last for 3mths only once in contact with air. If the silver oxide can be found then they will last long.

Remember to switch off the camera if not using or else whichever batteries will only last only abt 4 days!!:sweat:

Adapter can also be used can also buy them(x2) but i've found a way to DIY them. But thanks for the info on the location. Will be helpful for CSer!! :thumbsup:
Nick, care to share your DIY stuff. I am really interested.

Mountainlight

Nov 9, 2004
nickk said:
Anyone knows which alternative batteries does Canon EF take?
Wow, fellow EF users.. amazing.... Your EF will need 2 PX625 Mercury batteries, someone mentioned can still find it at some Sim Lim shop. There are supposed to be alkaline alternatives but these are 1.5V as opposed to the 1.35V of the mercury cells so your metering may be affected, or worse overload the metering circuit.

The EF needs the batteries only for metering and shutter exposures from 1 - 30 secs. From 1/2 to 1/1000 sec, it's mechanical shutter so no batts required. Yup, 30 secs to 1/1000 in a 1970s camera!! It's a solid camera with all the pro features of the F1 but no motordrive option.

See here for more info: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/1970-1975/data/1973_ef.html

Status
Not open for further replies.