Analog to Pixel - transition tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avantgardener

Aug 1, 2009
Hi guys,

I've been shooting with a Pentax KX (the film one) for a while now and recently switched to a Canon 450d. Before that I was using basic p/s cameras.

I thought that switching would help me get better as a photographer since digital camera have all sorts of helpful features. Plus there's isn't that whole development nightmare.

However, I notice though that my photography seems to have devolved somewhat. I mean, with a dslr, even the most poorly thought out shot looks 'pretty' and it's only a while later that I realize how bad most of my photos are. Back when I was shooting with film, I barely took any pictures unless I was absolutely sure they would turn out well. And that really helped, it seemed. I don't really want to go back to that, however. It would mean that I would only be taking photographs once in a blue moon, when the weather's absolutely perfect.

Any tips to help the transition?

I mean, with a dslr, even the most poorly thought out shot looks 'pretty' and it's only a while later that I realize how bad most of my photos are.

That to me says that you're well on the way. Recognising that the stuff you've shot can be improved is an important first step. After that you just need to think a bit whenever you look at photos - anyone's photos. As to why you think it works, or why it doesn't work. Why do you think it's a bad photo?

Apply the same thinking process to your photo taking process, and hopefully over tiime you will improve; I'm not sure there's an overnight instant fix unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.