Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

Astroboy77

May 20, 2009
Hi bros,

Just want to seek advice frm bros here if anyone encounter such situation.

I bought a analog type dry cabinet from one of the bro here, then i went to buy another digital hydrometer and place side by side to the analog hydrometer, then i went to turn the knob.. on the digital its show 47%RH but on the analog it's show 57%.. it different by 10!!.. both about the same temperature.

so is this situation common? or is the dry cabinet spoilt?:dunno:

So which one do you believe? Hint: accuracy doesn't depend on whether an instrument is digital or analog.

So which one do you believe? Hint: accuracy doesn't depend on whether an instrument is digital or analog.

well i would like to believe the analog type.. but considering the dry cabinet is abit old already thus make me think twice..

yes i agree tat accuracy doesn't depend much but it were abt 5% different i still find it acceptable.. but 10% different, it abit too much right?.. :think:

Hi Astroboy77,

You can either compare the digital hygrometer with your friend's or bring it back to the shop and compare with another one (preferrably different brand). Otherwise you can perform a salt test to check the accuracy of the digital hygrometer. Last time when I bought my 2 pieces of Akarui dry cabinets, the analog hygrometers in both cabinets were inaccurate and I needed to calibrate manually.

Do a 'salt test' to see which one is more accurate. Or you can get a Humidipak 75% RH test kit to test it out.

Caliber%20III.jpg

May I know where you bought this? Thks~

I bought it from Ebay for US$4.49 (excluding shipping) a pack. Basically, it comes with a sachet of chemical compound and a ziploc-styled nylon bag. No water is used. Once the kit is opened, it is accurate up to a period of 3 months.

DIY 'salt test' which uses salt and water may (don't flame me) damage the hygrometer especially when it is sealed in a bag/container with 'salty air' inside for 24-48 hrs.

Last edited:
i get these 68/70/72/75% RH humidity packs (Bovedas) at $2 or sometimes free from cigar forums ..............

i get these 68/70/72/75% RH humidity packs (Bovedas) at $2 or sometimes free from cigar forums ..............
Are you referring to the cigar humidity packs - pack used to regulate humidity - or the Boveda Humidipak Calibration Kit? They are 2 different things.

wow the humidipak kit look good... wondering any local shop or any bros here got ex-stock... easier for me to get it... kekeke

Hi Astroboy77,

You can either compare the digital hygrometer with your friend's or bring it back to the shop and compare with another one (preferrably different brand). Otherwise you can perform a salt test to check the accuracy of the digital hygrometer. Last time when I bought my 2 pieces of Akarui dry cabinets, the analog hygrometers in both cabinets were inaccurate and I needed to calibrate manually.

ok.. guess will find my fren to double check with his dry cabinet.. i hope the digital hygrometer is working fine .. as it cost me 35 buck!! .. didnt know it cost tat much to get one...

I bought it from Ebay for US$4.49 (excluding shipping) a pack. Basically, it comes with a sachet of chemical compound and a ziploc-styled nylon bag. No water is used. Once the kit is opened, it is accurate up to a period of 3 months.

DIY 'salt test' which uses salt and water may (don't flame me) damage the hygrometer especially when it is sealed in a bag/container with 'salty air' inside for 24-48 hrs.

Thks~..ohh...so not sold in Spore?...

Are you referring to the cigar humidity packs - pack used to regulate humidity - or the Boveda Humidipak Calibration Kit? They are 2 different things.

Referring to just the humidity packs not the calibration kit

Alright... after testing out in my fren digital dry cabinet... it confirm that the hygrometer is faulty!!!... dam .. wasted my money... any bro here got better recommendation to buy a goof and reliable one??

Why not just bring it back to the shop to exchange for a good one?

Why not just bring it back to the shop to exchange for a good one?

i already lost the receipt!... and the best is i saw the same model at sim lim tower selling $15 buck cheaper.....

how much u paid in total now for the 2nd hand cabi and hygro?

how much u paid in total now for the 2nd hand cabi and hygro?

2nd hand cabi = $60
hygrometer = $35 bought in homefix (sim lim tower selling only $24!):angry:

I have brought a digital hydrometer from ebay (see URL), it cost S$9.41 with free postage. I have two digi cabi, AD and HD, the HD is on analog metering, find it inaccurate, always at 50% even turned it to lowest. Therefore have purchased the digital meter from ebay. Tested the meter with AD model and found different about 3-5 percent. Now have installed (double side taped it). Hope the above help.

http://shop.ebay.com.sg/i.html?LH_A...eter&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=4