Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

May 20, 2009
Hi bros,

Just want to seek advice frm bros here if anyone encounter such situation.

I bought a analog type dry cabinet from one of the bro here, then i went to buy another digital hydrometer and place side by side to the analog hydrometer, then i went to turn the knob.. on the digital its show 47%RH but on the analog it's show 57%.. it different by 10!!.. both about the same temperature.

so is this situation common? or is the dry cabinet spoilt?:dunno:

Xtol19

Dec 13, 2008
So which one do you believe? Hint: accuracy doesn't depend on whether an instrument is digital or analog.

May 20, 2009
So which one do you believe? Hint: accuracy doesn't depend on whether an instrument is digital or analog.
well i would like to believe the analog type.. but considering the dry cabinet is abit old already thus make me think twice..

yes i agree tat accuracy doesn't depend much but it were abt 5% different i still find it acceptable.. but 10% different, it abit too much right?.. :think:

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Hi Astroboy77,

You can either compare the digital hygrometer with your friend's or bring it back to the shop and compare with another one (preferrably different brand). Otherwise you can perform a salt test to check the accuracy of the digital hygrometer. Last time when I bought my 2 pieces of Akarui dry cabinets, the analog hygrometers in both cabinets were inaccurate and I needed to calibrate manually.

Barrios

May 19, 2002
Visit site
Do a 'salt test' to see which one is more accurate. Or you can get a Humidipak 75% RH test kit to test it out.

Barrios

May 19, 2002
Visit site
May I know where you bought this? Thks~
I bought it from Ebay for US$4.49 (excluding shipping) a pack. Basically, it comes with a sachet of chemical compound and a ziploc-styled nylon bag. No water is used. Once the kit is opened, it is accurate up to a period of 3 months.

DIY 'salt test' which uses salt and water may (don't flame me) damage the hygrometer especially when it is sealed in a bag/container with 'salty air' inside for 24-48 hrs.

Last edited:

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
i get these 68/70/72/75% RH humidity packs (Bovedas) at $2 or sometimes free from cigar forums ..............

Barrios

May 19, 2002
Visit site
i get these 68/70/72/75% RH humidity packs (Bovedas) at $2 or sometimes free from cigar forums ..............
Are you referring to the cigar humidity packs - pack used to regulate humidity - or the Boveda Humidipak Calibration Kit? They are 2 different things.

May 20, 2009
wow the humidipak kit look good... wondering any local shop or any bros here got ex-stock... easier for me to get it... kekeke

May 20, 2009
Hi Astroboy77,

You can either compare the digital hygrometer with your friend's or bring it back to the shop and compare with another one (preferrably different brand). Otherwise you can perform a salt test to check the accuracy of the digital hygrometer. Last time when I bought my 2 pieces of Akarui dry cabinets, the analog hygrometers in both cabinets were inaccurate and I needed to calibrate manually.
ok.. guess will find my fren to double check with his dry cabinet.. i hope the digital hygrometer is working fine .. as it cost me 35 buck!! .. didnt know it cost tat much to get one...

Dec 9, 2004
Sembawang
I bought it from Ebay for US$4.49 (excluding shipping) a pack. Basically, it comes with a sachet of chemical compound and a ziploc-styled nylon bag. No water is used. Once the kit is opened, it is accurate up to a period of 3 months.

DIY 'salt test' which uses salt and water may (don't flame me) damage the hygrometer especially when it is sealed in a bag/container with 'salty air' inside for 24-48 hrs.
Thks~..ohh...so not sold in Spore?...

May 20, 2009
Alright... after testing out in my fren digital dry cabinet... it confirm that the hygrometer is faulty!!!... dam .. wasted my money... any bro here got better recommendation to buy a goof and reliable one??

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Why not just bring it back to the shop to exchange for a good one?

May 20, 2009
Why not just bring it back to the shop to exchange for a good one?
i already lost the receipt!... and the best is i saw the same model at sim lim tower selling $15 buck cheaper.....

Feb 10, 2010
how much u paid in total now for the 2nd hand cabi and hygro?

simpson

Jun 4, 2007
I have brought a digital hydrometer from ebay (see URL), it cost S$9.41 with free postage. I have two digi cabi, AD and HD, the HD is on analog metering, find it inaccurate, always at 50% even turned it to lowest. Therefore have purchased the digital meter from ebay. Tested the meter with AD model and found different about 3-5 percent. Now have installed (double side taped it). Hope the above help.

http://shop.ebay.com.sg/i.html?LH_A...eter&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=4

Top Bottom