Ana v

Status
Not open for further replies.
william has many excellent and jaw dropping wide angle portraits of many different brides and many other brides will book him to be shooting such a style. as he has mentioned, it's not uncommon for brides to go gaga over such images, as with non-brides here in the forum.

good job bro! :)

thanks bro..................:)

mmmh exposure is nice, strong colours good contrast.... but i just dont like the use of the ultra wide on this one... her head is becoming way too small for my taste...
sorry i dont share the enthusiasm of the rest...

no prob.... its really individual preference, i guess..
thanks..........:)

i think u are great. if i was getting married and were to see a portfolio like that id hire u imm. i dun even need to think twice. i wun even wan to look at other photographers. great job bro. :thumbsup:

thanks for the encouragement........:)

really impressive.
excellent mastery of lighting and the environment too .. esp #3 :thumbsup:

just wondering how did you lit up the object [bride :D ] as the grass near her gown is somehow lit up ? dun tell me u stuck a speedlite under her gown :eek:

thanks.... the pic was shot with a outdoor strobe..

Hi William;
All the 6 photo is super. The great presentation of the 1/3 rule.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The flare come in the right position. Just at the bottom center and within the 1/3 again.
Applying 2 X 1/3 rule is a very special skill.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

77545421.jpg

yo... thanks for the thumbs up...

Will,
if u remembered, when i 1st join cs, you were my idol.i really love your works very much.

but as time goes by, i've been seeing so much of your works that it's beginning to get boring.
pardon me for being blunt.(cos that's me:) )
you love the contrast, you love the saturation be it color, b&w.not to mention you love vignette, and pretty much lowkey pics.
if you take a look at the pics you have done, wedding or portraiture, one can easily tell it's shot by you cos that's your style.

this may look "WOW" to many newbies(i'm one of them before), but i guess it's time you innovate/move on/proceed/come up with a different style.

joho on the other hand has much more diff styles than you.I'm not debating who's more pro or whatsoever as i'm only commenting based on the pics i see here in CS.

i believe since you shoot for putting meals on your table, you will have to learn how to be more versatile.(my sincere 2 cents)

back to the pics, i like the saturation, and i love vignettes.but the wide angle 'distortion' and the percentage of the model's head wrt the frame is a no no for me.

and depicting an entire series of WA shots just doesnt do justice to your portfolio.
these are really more fashion shoots to depict the design of the gown.

if i'm the bride and you show me these shots, i will only pick 1, at most 2 to be in my wedding album.

i hope my 5 minutes posting coming from a amatuer photog gave you some thinkers for your future in professional photography.

Will,
if u remembered, when i 1st join cs, you were my idol.i really love your works very much.

but as time goes by, i've been seeing so much of your works that it's beginning to get boring.
pardon me for being blunt.(cos that's me:) )
you love the contrast, you love the saturation be it color, b&w.not to mention you love vignette, and pretty much lowkey pics.
if you take a look at the pics you have done, wedding or portraiture, one can easily tell it's shot by you cos that's your style.

this may look "WOW" to many newbies(i'm one of them before), but i guess it's time you innovate/move on/proceed/come up with a different style.

joho on the other hand has much more diff styles than you.I'm not debating who's more pro or whatsoever as i'm only commenting based on the pics i see here in CS.

i believe since you shoot for putting meals on your table, you will have to learn how to be more versatile.(my sincere 2 cents)

back to the pics, i like the saturation, and i love vignettes.but the wide angle 'distortion' and the percentage of the model's head wrt the frame is a no no for me.

and depicting an entire series of WA shots just doesnt do justice to your portfolio.
these are really more fashion shoots to depict the design of the gown.

if i'm the bride and you show me these shots, i will only pick 1, at most 2 to be in my wedding album.

i hope my 5 minutes posting coming from a amatuer photog gave you some thinkers for your future in professional photography.

hi jeanie... thanks for the comments..

as i had said alot of times in this thread.. of cos i agree that WA in a whole series for a bride is a no no.. BUT i am sure everyone knows that this is an organised shoot, n NOT for a customer.. these pics are not going into my wedding portfolio.. they are at best wedding fashion .... model is not a real bride anyway..

as to the WA stuffs, as i have said.. is really individual's preferences..
some might like it , n some might not like it..
but thats photography.. most of the times, u will not get a 100% pple liking a particular picture..

as for the vignetting in this series, they are natural n not post processed..

as for the style... well.. being a professional .. it works both ways.. its good that pple recognised from the works that its from me.. but .. being able to innovate and come out with new stuffs is good also (i do agree wif that) but then.. customers do come to u for a certain style that u have... n u dun change a style so frequent for the sake of being different.. (esp if customers book u a year in advance)

it brings to mind wat a customer told me recently.. they went to this v popular wedding photographer, n they loved his pics.. but then all their friends used the same photographer as well.. in the end... the location, the angle, is all the same wif all their friends.. but they still loved the pics.. n this photographer has been in the mkt for mny years and as popular as ever....

fortunately, alot of us here , including myself.. are not doing this yet.. (hopefully never).. as we pursue this job cos of our love for photography.. and not for creating a template..
styles dun change overnite...n alot of us do slowly evolve, including a slightly differnt genre of pics into our portfolio as we go along..

hi jeanie... thanks for the comments..

as i had said alot of times in this thread.. of cos i agree that WA in a whole series for a bride is a no no.. BUT i am sure everyone knows that this is an organised shoot, n NOT for a customer.. these pics are not going into my wedding portfolio.. they are at best wedding fashion .... model is not a real bride anyway..

as to the WA stuffs, as i have said.. is really individual's preferences..
some might like it , n some might not like it..
but thats photography.. most of the times, u will not get a 100% pple liking a particular picture..

as for the vignetting in this series, they are natural n not post processed..

as for the style... well.. being a professional .. it works both ways.. its good that pple recognised from the works that its from me.. but .. being able to innovate and come out with new stuffs is good also (i do agree wif that) but then.. customers do come to u for a certain style that u have... n u dun change a style so frequent for the sake of being different.. (esp if customers book u a year in advance)

it brings to mind wat a customer told me recently.. they went to this v popular wedding photographer, n they loved his pics.. but then all their friends used the same photographer as well.. in the end... the location, the angle, is all the same wif all their friends.. but they still loved the pics.. n this photographer has been in the mkt for mny years and as popular as ever....

fortunately, alot of us here , including myself.. are not doing this yet.. (hopefully never).. as we pursue this job cos of our love for photography.. and not for creating a template..
styles dun change overnite...n alot of us do slowly evolve, including a slightly differnt genre of pics into our portfolio as we go along..

sorry if i missed out that you mentioned the WA a couple of times in the thread.
this is because i usually skim through posts that sings praises.

i will filter through and register those really helpful and constructive ones only.....

i need to remind you gently that in CS, if you have already set a 'reputation', no matter what crap pics you post, generally you will get angel praises.
of course everybody likes to hear the good stuffs.
BUT

the downside is that it gives you a false sense of 'security' of your works.
and more often than not, people who has negative comments on your works generally will not want to post it in your thread.(save for messy hair deadpoet)
this is probably to avoid making enemies and for the other pro's, conflict of interest?
at least, this is the trend i notice in CS.

just some midweek thoughts.

sorry if i missed out that you mentioned the WA a couple of times in the thread.
this is because i usually skim through posts that sings praises.

i will filter through and register those really helpful and constructive ones only.....

i need to remind you gently that in CS, if you have already set a 'reputation', no matter what crap pics you post, generally you will get angel praises.
of course everybody likes to hear the good stuffs.
BUT

the downside is that it gives you a false sense of 'security' of your works.
and more often than not, people who has negative comments on your works generally will not want to post it in your thread.(save for messy hair deadpoet)
this is probably to avoid making enemies and for the other pro's, conflict of interest?
at least, this is the trend i notice in CS.

just some midweek thoughts.

even as u have missed out some of the postings, I am sure u will know that these are just pics from an organised shoot (and by no means a photos for customers). And these days.. going for organised shoots is really abt jus catching up wif old friends and also getting a few pics (wif no pressure of delivering).. thats all.. i think alot of guys will kknow i dun shoot much anyway..

if u r referring to me who wif a reputation get angel praises even when I post crap pics.. then u r v wrong..
I do get v negative comments on cs for some of the pics as well..(just do a search)
and I do graciously accept it also.. if the pics are really bad, and not due to a difference in preferences...

alot of people have this perception that guys wif 'reputation' do not get negative comments.. but i think this perception is very wrong, jus do a search on the so called 'reputable' guys, and u can c that if the pics are bad.. they do get their fair share of negative comments as well..
maybe not as harsh.. but thats becos it might not b that bad to warrant such harsh comments..

and correction.. people who has negative comments do tell me about it as well.. but maybe privately, cos (i think joho has mentioned) , we do meet up, and mingle ard with each other in reality... besides jus posting online... behind the forum, alot of us are real friends, who help each other and give advices to each other as well..(and some of these guys also decided not to post as much on CS already due to a variety of reasons)

n most importantly, i dun make a living making portaiture shots or fashion pics.. i make a living thru wedding photography, and customers' feedback is what I value most..
And mind you.. I dun get a false sense of security from comments on CS... but I get my security from my customers and also guys in the industry.

will03, you are getting too defensive and overly sensitive.

if you think i'm targetting you, so be it.i'll leave things as that.

i'm surprised at your attitude and reaction.

somehow i see this coming, but i spoke my mind anyway.
i wasnt even referring to you in some of the para i posted.
if you feel offended,you can always choose not to reply.

good luck to your wedding photography business.
and last reminder....

having the right attitude goes a looooong way.

..........but i guess it's time you innovate/move on/proceed/come up with a different style..........joho on the other hand has much more diff styles than you.I'm not debating who's more pro or whatsoever as i'm only commenting based on the pics i see here in CS.

Hey Will03 & Jeanie,

Jeanie, you are right, I am one of the fans of Will03 & JOHO since joining CS. Once they post, I will pay a visit to their work. Since the beginning, I realise both of them have different approaches. One is good in his consistency on his works, while one is more experiment in post photography work. Both unique!

Will03, you have built up your confidence from your work. And trust your works. It is growing strong, even it is minor changes between your photos. Keep your good works uP! happy photography!

Supporter of JOHO & Will03!
GOMUS

will03, you are getting too defensive and overly sensitive.

if you think i'm targetting you, so be it.i'll leave things as that.

i'm surprised at your attitude and reaction.

somehow i see this coming, but i spoke my mind anyway.
i wasnt even referring to you in some of the para i posted.
if you feel offended,you can always choose not to reply.

good luck to your wedding photography business.
and last reminder....

having the right attitude goes a looooong way.

Hi Jeanie..

seriously.. i was just clarifying some misconceptions that you might have since you mentioned 'you' in yur para... even if it is not referring to me...

if you choose to interpret my explanations as being hostile / defensive, or overly sensitive.. I will leave it as that too.. i would urge you not to be too sensitive as well...
as most pple will know... I do not pick up quarrels in CS ..

N i do agree that having a right attitude is important in whatever you do... regardless if its photography or not.. and its a good reminder for everyone including u n me..

Ahh, another "drama-mama" moment.

It's just a misunderstanding/misinterpretation of each other's good intentions through a one-dimensioned text messages.

That said, the last part regarding the attitude is a little uncalled for though. A misinterpreted reply, all of which that started with good intentions, has very little to do with a poor showing of attitude.

I enjoy learning from both of you, so let's keep the conjectures away, shall we? :)

Not trying to add to flames or something, just adding my point of view...

Style... Good word... A photographer should be recognised for his style of photography. By maintaining that style, viewers can recognise the photographer immediately without even having to look at the signature on the pictures. This is how developing one's unique style can be so impactful.

Everyone has their own taste, a cook can't produce a dish that satisify everyone. So long the targeted audience likes the product, and in fact, that's the main point. I enjoy eating Asian food (for example), and I will not get sick eating it everyday in my life. However, if someone who wants jap food one day, western on the other and so on, the customer will not like the chef's cooking style for sure. If one chef is well known in the industry for cooking Asian delights and many are approaching him for that, there isn't much reason for him to cook other style of food, especially if himself is already a veteran in this area. Being a veteran in the area and doing well, the chef definitely knows what his costumer wants, no need for us to worry for him.

Just because a chef is from a well known 5 star hotel also doesn't mean that he always gets praises. Costumers still can drop constructive feedbacks to the chef. If the chef's cooking don't suit your liking, unlike others do, you still can say so. After all, "you do not need to be a 5star hotel chef to comment that a plate of chicken rice taste horrible" (Quoting from someone)... But maybe we can do a simple experiment: the chef disguise himself as a street hawker... however, style must differ abit, since one can easily identify you from his cooking style.

Hey Will03 & Jeanie,

Jeanie, you are right, I am one of the fans of Will03 & JOHO since joining CS. Once they post, I will pay a visit to their work. Since the beginning, I realise both of them have different approaches. One is good in his consistency on his works, while one is more experiment in post photography work. Both unique!

Will03, you have built up your confidence from your work. And trust your works. It is growing strong, even it is minor changes between your photos. Keep your good works uP! happy photography!

Supporter of JOHO & Will03!
GOMUS

me too. supporter of good works only be it whoever posted them. these fotos are definitely very good.

im a will03 & JoHo fan too!!:cool:

if the critique touches the sensitive concept of preferences then theres undoubtly a million other ways to appreciate all things furthermore were talking art here. in this case the trademark of being will03 is ubiquitous and i dont see any wrong there. of course some might love it some wont. and like an idol to fan relationship you might have some things you dont like about them.

This thread confirms once again, the difference between a photographer and a hobbyist.

To the old boys... please remember that many can never see things at your level because you have paid your dues to get to where you are. So live and let live.

To the newbies... continue to "go figure".

There is a reason why in many religion and ethics books, they talk about the "tongue"...

Glad that the postings here happened. Food for thought for those who really read the postings.

Good day all.

I agree that the pics have your usual style! so definitely your works!

We'll still support you!! :lovegrin:

hee.. thanks.....

This thread confirms once again, the difference between a photographer and a hobbyist.

To the old boys... please remember that many can never see things at your level because you have paid your dues to get to where you are. So live and let live.

To the newbies... continue to "go figure".

There is a reason why in many religion and ethics books, they talk about the "tongue"...

Glad that the postings here happened. Food for thought for those who really read the postings.

Good day all.

thanks.. a very good reminder to us.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.