An open note to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Hello fellow Clubsnappers,

Of late, i have had some disturbing news and since this isn't the first time it has happened, i thought it would be prudent to share it with everyone here, as well as to alert everyone of the perils.

Some of our Clubsnap member's portraiture shots/effort (those of female subjects), have been found re-posted on some other website/forums (I am not naming the sites since they have complied and removed the pictures already and one is in the process of doing so) and well, needless to say, it caused some consternation amongst us all. More so when the site isn't particularly reputable.

I firmly believe in common decency/courtesy and the least that anyone could do was to simply ask for permission before re-posting it anywhere. However, this wasn't the case.

Now, whoever that person who is responsible for leeching/re-posting, what you are doing is basically rude, thoughtless and of course, selfish, and by doing so, you basically discourage future portraits efforts to be posted here, for everyone to share and improve our techniques in portraiture shoots.

Whoever you are, whatever goes around, comes around.

Regards. :(

i realise this is a big problem with the internet... even if you protect or place your names on the picture it doesn't stop them from posting it somet other place...

i Myself do not dare to circulate pictures of my females friends in hopes of prevent them from apperaring in certain not so reputable forums....

Maybe we should start a private forum a private section? just for the photos who are so oh dear presious to us.... Just a suggestion.....

I have seen some website with photo locking function. U can only browse but not save the picture into yr comp. Maybe we can use this software or problem for portrait shots

Originally posted by xfathom69
I have seen some website with photo locking function. U can only browse but not save the picture into yr comp. Maybe we can use this software or problem for portrait shots

It doesn't work 100%. There're ways to get round the lock easily, e.g. copy from the browser's cache.

Originally posted by mpenza

It doesn't work 100%. There're ways to get round the lock easily, e.g. copy from the browser's cache.

Even if you put it to let's say, a flash file, anyone can just easily do a screen capture. Hrm, using applets? That's far too troublesome too. :(

Originally posted by togu

Even if you put it to let's say, a flash file, anyone can just easily do a screen capture. Hrm, using applets? That's far too troublesome too. :(

Applets would be relatively "leech-proof" to the majority of surfers, should be good enough.

There are always inherent risks of posting pictures of people on the internet. Hence my personal folders/portraits of friends are always kept away from public eyes. Not conducive to sharing one's experience however...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by mpenza
Or do a View Source and look out for the img src tag. ;)

:Later,

Applets are too slow to load. Plus some people don't have JVM installed (especially those using XP) thus got to install it manually.

No point.

Why? Press print screen on your keyboad, load up photoshop and paste.

If you post, prepared mentally that some of the photos will end up in other sites, there are no way to stop them, maybe can minimize through awareness and proper education.

If you feel unconfortable, don post lor, just like me, i feel tempted to post some of the good girl potrait shots taken by me, but are reluctant to do it due to the above.

Wah...actually...not all know how to do it. after you guys started posting the "various" methods...i guess they will know how.

hi wolfgang i really hope it won't make u feel not like to take any portrait photos... i find u r always lucky to capture the nature moment, pls keep it up! ;)

Adding to Wolfgang's post:

Please be reminded that Infringement of Copyright is a punishable offense in Singapore!

Taken from http://www.ecgm.com.sg/copyright.html
Infringement:

A work or subject matter is infringed when there is unauthorised copying of the same. There are two types of infringement - Primary and Secondary. Primary infringement refers to the doing or authorisation to do, by a person who is neither the copyright owner nor the licensee, any of the exclusive acts in relation to the work or subject matter conferred on the copyright owner while the copyright is in force. Secondary infringement is the unauthorised commercial dealing in copies of the protected work or subject matter. Secondary infringement may also attract criminal liabilities.

Parallel importation occurs when genuine products are imported through unauthorised channels, thus by-passing officially appointed importers and distributors. This is sometimes referred to as "the grey market" and the parallel imports are "grey goods". The Act was amended in 1994 to make clear that parallel importers may in certain cases be exonerated from infringement.

More Info on Copyright Act of Singapore

In addition, not all photographers here are hobbyists, some photographers are doing it for a living and are serious about the Copyright Law. I happened to be one of them. Please be awared that softwares are also available for copyright protection and tracking. When photos are infringed and being used somewhere on the net, it can be easily traced and track down the culprit! It is not easy to get away with it.

Heh, I suppose one of these days I really should get down to reading that act...

Personally, i would rather not post than go thr all the troubles :D

Err, please englighten us what type of s/w ?? is available to track jpg?? posted on the net??

Originally posted by hong
Personally, i would rather not post than go thr all the troubles :D

Err, please englighten us what type of s/w ?? is available to track jpg?? posted on the net??

When you are in this business, nothing is troublesome for protecting your assets.

One type of software for tracking is Digimarc. There are many others available as well.
http://www.digimarc.com/

just been to the website, very information, but i find the webcrawler is wasting precious bandwidth :D

and it is a awful lot of money and effort to keep our image safe, furthermore, it is unable to track people from saving the image to the harddisk and emailing it to other people.

Originally posted by hong
just been to the website, very information, but i find the webcrawler is wasting precious bandwidth :D

and it is a awful lot of money and effort to keep our image safe, furthermore, it is unable to track people from saving the image to the harddisk and emailing it to other people.

As long as the protected image travels the web, it can be tracked. Like I said, what you are protecting are your own assets and this service is mostly used by those doing Stock Photography. It's true that it's a huge amount to spend on tracking, that's why when a culprit is caught and put to justice, he will have to pay a whole lot more to compensate the copyright owner's loss. This is just one of the solutions available and I'm not recommending it for that company. Just wanted to make a point that it's easy to commit a crime, but it's not easy to get away.

i got a question...i tot copy right laws only apply if u apply for the copyright of something? hahah...maybe i thinking of patents of products lah...but juz wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.