An old Tractor in HDR.

Ashwin

Jan 30, 2005
Singapore
submit.shutterstock.com
20100415102730-a4974840.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Whole image:)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This is one of my first attempts at HDR images. I saw a few HDR images where the subject is similar to the one above and i thought this tractor would make a good HDR image. Is there an particular subject like say still life, landscape or architecture etc that looks good in HDR? :dunno:

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken in an old berry farm a few hours drive from Melbourne. It was overcast and there was not much contrast available due to that.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I personally think this is one the of the better HDR images i have taken. The post processing might be slightly over done for some but i kinda like it this way. There is some vignetting at the edges but i think that effect adds to the image. Yup please let me know what do you guys think:)

The pic looks very cartoonish. If that is the effect you want to achieve then you have done an excellent job. But my personal preference would be for this pic to have a retro look. :)

Firstly, the composition does not appeal to me, especially with the tractor being right smack in the centre of the photo and the excessive number of elements in the photo.

As for the processing, I don't think it is too bad except for the fact that it looks right out of photomatix. You can try tweaking it further in photoshop (esp. if you have the NikSoftware plugins) to reduce the over-processed tones.

Well done ... composition wise is ok to me .. but the saturation seems a little to much for me..... cheers

it doesnt look real to me, like ziploc commented, cartoonish.

composition looks good to me.

but the tractor's color seems to blend itself into the background.

may i know why u need to do HDR for this photo? is the lighting very difficult to work with or is it because u want to achieve some particular kind of effect?

have you try shooting it different time of the day? maybe can play with flash? those 2 can help to remove the need for HDR.

Last edited:
i think it is awesome. the cartoonish PP works for me. as the tractor is your focus, i'd say nice composition. the background complements the subject, not too distracting. but top right corner...i think the vignetting is a bit too strong. if the effect you want to create is like that of a painting - well done. i personally like the colors and the highlights. well, i like my colors saturated. =x

thanks for the great feedback! I didnt think it was cartoonish until you guys commented.
For the composition i did another shot from an angle, i will upload that later in the day.
As i sad that day it was really cloudy and dull so i thought HDR might give it some contrast and unfortunately i wont be able to go there again to shoot its too far:sweat:

Auden, i noticed the vignetting too, maybe i should redo one without that and see how it looks:)

For me it looks nice.. I love the tone and keep thinking how do I do that.. :D
anyway, for me I would like to capture whole house in the back..
just my 2 cents.. ;)

I love the image!!! The colours look surreal but very soothing, perhaps due to the strong greens.

Now I'm motivated to try doing HDR now! It would be a refreshing change!

Which camera did you use to do your photography?

Winter is approaching Australia. Lesser sun and shorter daylight hours! Are you still in Melbourne?

Last edited:
I love the image!!! The colours look surreal but very soothing, perhaps due to the strong greens.

Now I'm motivated to try doing HDR now! It would be a refreshing change!

Which camera did you use to do your photography?

Winter is approaching Australia. Lesser sun and shorter daylight hours! Are you still in Melbourne?

Thanks Man:) I am using Canon 7D to shoot. You are right it winter time and yup i am still in Melbourne. My masters ends at the end of this year.. Currently its exam time so kinda stressed:sweat:

very nice, i like it. but could be better:cool:

if you are after a stylized look then you might as well exaggerate the perspective more. but nice overall

This looks like it's straight out of a video game. Would prefer if it was more toned down, but if you like it that way, that's up to you.

It's a bit cluttered but I think you've made it work ok.

Thanks Man:) I am using Canon 7D to shoot. You are right it winter time and yup i am still in Melbourne. My masters ends at the end of this year.. Currently its exam time so kinda stressed:sweat:

Did you shoot a series of JPEG or RAW images?

I downloaded a trial of Photomatix Light to try. I was hoping it would be free.

This is great..I personally feel that if you want to do HDR....just go for the extreme...and this pic simply scream out that.
:thumbsup:

For me, I like the composite and the cartoonish look of the old tractor.:thumbsup:

Wish I can do such PP too. It gives a very different view to something that is common.

Stunning! I was expecting sumthing rusty, dirty, oldish tractor, but to my surprise, this is something extraordinary. What i'd suggest is u could have used an alternative to your thread's title? "Magical Tractor" (i don't know what shld be the best title)? It gives a very fairy tales like feel to the tractor.

One more thing i'd suggest is you could add more shadows to the trees in the centre of the picture, as i thought it's too bright that it blend with the tractor and might distract the focus.

I'm thinking if you could add artificial flare to the tractor like as though it shines, just go to the extreme of PP for this photo, i think it'd be real stunning.:bsmilie: :thumbsup:

I really need to stop looking at pictures from office notebook. :bsmilie:
The colours actually look okay to me rather than overly done (cartoonish, as mentioned by some). Strange, but it's probably because my office notebook tones out a lot of colour (nicely coloured pix looks dull).

I quite like this :embrass: but will reply again when I am home.

Composition-wise, the only thing I didn't like about it was the roof of the house being chopped off slightly :dunno:
It's like, a little bit makes it look accidental?

The other thing is the grass on the right hand near the backwheel of tractor looks overblown. Not sure if anything can be done in HDR on this but I thought the purpose of having HDR is to minimize overblowing things :dunno: