An Old Peasant!

Gangru

Oct 28, 2009
SG
Hi All,

Here is my first post in the Critique Corner. This is a photograph taken when I was visiting my Father's Village. This old peasant was working in the near by farm. After some chit chat I took this candid shot.

4364776485_9cfaee976b.jpg

Please give your inputs on the following :

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

Composition, Lighting and details brought out.
BW Conversion done and PP techniques used

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

Interested in the BW Photography. Wanted to capture the facial features of the Man

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

His watery eyes, caught my attention, had a chat about the happenings in the village, Caught this candid shot while at it.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

I thought the subject was perfect for BW photography. Also the PP done does give attention to the subjects facial features.

Your Inputs will be helpful in my learning, the art.

Last edited:
Gangru, nice ! You captured all the detail wrinkles around the eyes

not a bad conversion.

i won't change much about this, actually. it is a good shot.

would be great to resize it so that people like me with laptops don't have to scroll up and down to see your entire image.

as an afterthought, perhaps you can add more vignetting, just slightly. maybe convert another layer where the cloth tones are more subdued, they are really too bright here.

not a bad conversion.

i won't change much about this, actually. it is a good shot.

would be great to resize it so that people like me with laptops don't have to scroll up and down to see your entire image.

as an afterthought, perhaps you can add more vignetting, just slightly. maybe convert another layer where the cloth tones are more subdued, they are really too bright here.

Thank you Bro nightmare. I have resized the image. Will experiment with the layering on the clothes.

IQ is nice! :thumbsup:
Perhaps it would be better if the picture can tell that he is a pleasant (just nitpicking) :bsmilie:

very nice conversion. what did you do in PP for your bw conversion?

also would you mind posting the original picture as well?

also would you mind posting the original picture as well?

very nice conversion. what did you do in PP for your bw conversion?

Thanks for the appreciation..

I used Lightroom 2.6 for the conversion.

Some very basic functions

Cropping - It was originally a vertical Half body shot. Unfortunately, one of the arms got cut away, so I cropped the picture as a Head and shoulders shot.
Blacks - Increase black Levels
Contrast - Increase contrast Level
Vignettes - Add some Post crop Vignette

Posting from my mobile.. will post the original image later.

IQ is nice! :thumbsup:
Perhaps it would be better if the picture can tell that he is a pleasant (just nitpicking) :bsmilie:

:) Thank you. Yeah title is rather generic;p

Nice! Lighting and contrast perfect. I may bring this face a tad to the right. But that's just me :)