an old love story

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Once upon a time......a king gave a feast. The most beautiful princesses were there. A soldier who was standing guard saw the king's daughter go by. She was the loveliest one, and he fell instantly in love. But what is a simple soldier next to the daughter of a king? One day he managed to see her and told her he could no longer live without her. The princess was so taken by the depth of his feeling that she said to the soldier:"If you can wait for 100 days and 100 nights under my balcony, I shall be yours." With that, the soldier went and waited one day, two days......then ten, twenty. Each evening the princess looked out and he never moved! Always there, come rain, come thunder. Birds shat on his head, bees stung him, but didn't budge. After 90 nights, he had become all dry and pale. Tears streamed from his eyes. He couldn't hold them back. He didn't even have the strength to sleep. And all that time, the princess watched him. When 99th night came......the soldier stood up, took his chair, and left.

:thumbsup: :bsmilie: Have to read thrice then get it. Kekeheehee...

what did you get?

different people has different interpretations why the soldier left.

My wife thought he was sad/angry/dissappointed that the stupid princess made him wait and suffer for so long without any compassion so he left.

BTW, this story is from the movie Cinema Paradiso. In the movie, an old man told the young male lead this story. The male lead ask the old man why did the soldier left, the old man says, " I don't know. you tell me why if you ever find out"

At the end of the show, the male lead gives his version of the reason which I thought was quite touching/clever in relation to what happened in the show.

So do and watch the show Cinema Paradiso. One of my favourite show ever :)

GAH, I got recommended that show but never had the chance to get it anywhere, Video EZY seems to only stock teen flicks. If you have any idea how to get it without having to buy it (i.e. rental shops which actually stock intelligent films), please share here! =)

Maybe he had to go to the loo! =D

because if the princess broke her promise, his heart will be broken forever.

but if he left at the 99th night, he leaves with love in his heart forever.

also, the soldier will be putting the princess in a very difficult position if she stays true to her promise.

so the soldier made the right decision.

ROMANTIC! :heart: :thumbsup:
But the guard should have like brought food, drinks, umbrella and all those along while waiting what...

That just totally spoiled the whole romantic scene.

That's why so many in CS didn't marry their true love because they want to leave with love in their hearts forever. :bsmilie:

The original quote was:

Once upon a time, a king gave a feast. And there came the most beautiful princesses of the realm. Now, a soldier, who was standing guard, saw the king's daughter go by. She was the most beautiful one, and he immediately fell in love with her. But what could a poor soldier do when it came to the daughter of the king? Well, finally, one day, he managed to meet her, and he told her that he could no longer live without her. The princess was so impressed by his strong feelings that she said to the soldier: "If you can wait 100 days and 100 nights under my balcony, then at the end of it, I shall be yours." Damn! The soldier immediately went there and waited one day. And two days. And ten. And then twenty. And every evening, the princess looked out of her window, but he never moved. During rain, during wind, during snow, he was always there. The bird shat on his head, and the bees stung him, but he didn't budge. After ninety nights, he had become all dried up, all white, and the tears streamed from his eyes. He couldn't hold them back. He no longer had the strength to sleep. All that time, the princess watched him. And on the 99th night, the soldier stood up, took his chair, and went away.

And the answer is:

In one more night, the princess would have been his. But she also could not possibly have kept her promise. And it would have been terrible. He would have died. This way, however, at least for 99 days, he was living under the illusion that she was there, waiting for him.

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...not that I totally agree with that statement, but haven't some of us been through that at some stage of our lives?

a... well to me the princess was telling the soldier to "tan ku ku" ;p

it kind of reminds me of a song i really liked from Suzanne Vega. not directly similar, but you get the idea.

"The Queen & The Soldier"

The soldier came knocking upon the queen's door
He said, "I am not fighting for you any more"
The queen knew she'd seen his face someplace before
And slowly she let him inside.

He said, "I've watched your palace up here on the hill
And I've wondered who's the woman for whom we all kill
But I am leaving tomorrow and you can do what you will
Only first I am asking you why."

Down in the long narrow hall he was led
Into her rooms with her tapestries red
And she never once took the crown from her head
She asked him there to sit down.

He said, "I see you now, and you are so very young
But I've seen more battles lost than I have battles won
And I've got this intuition, says it's all for your fun
And now will you tell me why?"

The young queen, she fixed him with an arrogant eye
She said, "You won't understand, and you may as well not try"
But her face was a child's, and he thought she would cry
But she closed herself up like a fan.

And she said, "I've swallowed a secret burning thread
It cuts me inside, and often I've bled"
He laid his hand then on top of her head
And he bowed her down to the ground.

"Tell me how hungry are you? How weak you must feel
As you are living here alone, and you are never revealed
But I won't march again on your battlefield"
And he took her to the window to see.

And the sun, it was gold, though the sky, it was gray
And she wanted more than she ever could say
But she knew how it frightened her, and she turned away
And would not look at his face again.

And he said, "I want to live as an honest man
To get all I deserve and to give all I can
And to love a young woman who I don't understand
Your highness, your ways are very strange."

But the crown, it had fallen, and she thought she would break
And she stood there, ashamed of the way her heart ached
She took him to the doorstep and she asked him to wait
She would only be a moment inside.

Out in the distance her order was heard
And the soldier was killed, still waiting for her word
And while the queen went on strangeling in the solitude she preferred
The battle continued on

Well, a true lover would not leave the other to suffer the first few days, let alone watch the suffering from a comfortable balcony for 99 nights...
I guess he took that long to figure that out.

After 99 nights, he couldn't tahan already, gotta go "pang sai". :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

After 99 nights, he couldn't tahan already, gotta go "pang sai". :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

No, his pants was starting to fall off already with the weight of all the accumulated 'sai' from the previous 98 days.... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.