an insincere seller --- oldahr---!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notone

Nov 12, 2003
biopolis
Here I post to warn potential buyers from an insincere seller --- oldahr---!
Deal in this post.
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=334105
He claims “all other mechanical functions are working properly”, but actually I found it can not focus infinity, not because of lens, but because of camera!!! I tried with other body and lenses. He claimed focus part is not “mechanical function” and I should check it out when deal. As no warranty issued, he refused to refund me.
This is the first time I had bad experience in this forum.
He is selling several other items too. Here I would like to ask any potential buyers to think it over before deal with him.
“oldahr” is an insincere seller as he made false description, and take no responsibility!

Hi notone,

Seems from his thread that the item(s) are still for sale?

Hi,

It could be that the focusing screen was installed improperly, perhaps it was reversed, can you check if you can take out the screen and put it back the other way around?

HS

Hi,

It could be that the focusing screen was installed improperly, perhaps it was reversed, can you check if you can take out the screen and put it back the other way around?

HS

Better not fool around anymore otherwise the seller will claim that you damaged something in the process of removing/installing the screen.

Should this case be classified as a con job and reportable to the police?

Better not fool around anymore otherwise the seller will claim that you damaged something in the process of removing/installing the screen.

Should this case be classified as a con job and reportable to the police?

Quick! Everybody lodge a report to the police about Microsoft and Windows Vista, XP, 2000, every other windows version that was ever sold! :p

Quick! Everybody lodge a report to the police about Microsoft and Windows Vista, XP, 2000, every other windows version that was ever sold! :p

Microsoft's day will come... :sticktong

Take note, some manual lenses will focus a little past infinity, so if you just turn till the end, it will be out of focus. Check the focusing scale very carefully and if it looks like the lens goes past infinity, just turn it back till it matches up perfectly, and do a few test shots, with different focus settings.

I'm sorry, your description was kinda vague. You said you tried with other body and lenses. What exactly did you try, at what settings, and what was the outcome?

Anyway, if focus isn't a mechanical function, how in the world does a lens gets focused? Even if the lens is pefect, and there's something wrong with the body, it is a mechanical function since the lens, and the body has to mate mechanically and everything must be physically aligned for it to focus properly. Doesn't sound to me like it's an electronic or optical problem.

You are not even clear whether it is the lens or the camera body that you are talking about, or did you buy both the camera body and the lens.

thanks for all the response. bad mod due to the bad exp, so I went out for shots to get rid of it.

the focus is not over but less when I try to foucs to an object 7-8 meters away and beyond. so it is totally unuseable. I tried the lens with m42-pk adaptor, OK; and tried the body with other M42 lenses, same problem. I guess something has to be with the focus screen or mirror, --- do not think one can adjust the mount or prism. but even for focus screen or mirror, it's difficult for me --- many of others too I think --- to correct it. and "oldahr" claimed that a kind of skill called super focus can correct it! anyway he denied it's mechanical function.
my part is I didnot notice this when deal. I usually chose to trust sellers here since inner defect is really difficult to sort out when deal, and few people would fraud for a little money.
so please be reminded to insprect very very carefully and test carefully if eye on his items---he is still selling his items! --- maybe he will change ID since now.

Since the deal is already done, and you apparently did not check it on the spot (why you didn't look through its viewfinder to see if the lens can be used?)......take it as a lesson to always check whatever and from who you buy.

Luckily this time it wasn't a really expensive setup!

Bring the set to Cam.X for repair, the repairman there is very good!

HS

thanks for all the response. bad mod due to the bad exp, so I went out for shots to get rid of it.

the focus is not over but less when I try to foucs to an object 7-8 meters away and beyond. so it is totally unuseable. I tried the lens with m42-pk adaptor, OK; and tried the body with other M42 lenses, same problem. I guess something has to be with the focus screen or mirror, --- do not think one can adjust the mount or prism. but even for focus screen or mirror, it's difficult for me --- many of others too I think --- to correct it. and "oldahr" claimed that a kind of skill called super focus can correct it! anyway he denied it's mechanical function.
my part is I didnot notice this when deal. I usually chose to trust sellers here since inner defect is really difficult to sort out when deal, and few people would fraud for a little money.
so please be reminded to insprect very very carefully and test carefully if eye on his items---he is still selling his items! --- maybe he will change ID since now.

Notone, after reading this, I feel strange that such a serious problem will bypass your detection during the deal. Inability to focus outside of 8 meters seems like something one will notice in the first instance. As such, the buyer should also be responsible too. I feel sorry for you in this purchase, and I'm sure many will learn the lesson you share here. Wish you a better year ahead :)

not matter how smart you are, if the seller is dishonest, you will still get distracted. and somehow, don't most of us trying to deal in friendly way, trust the seller instead of getting fussy and arguing on the spot? it is about honesty, and if you really want to blame the buyer, just blame buyer being trusted people.

I viewed it at a MRT station, so I just looked at close object. it's not like AF build, and takes time so I did not test any more. and first time I got a focus problem. usually it will be shutter, mirror or winder issue, and maybe meter. anyway accuracy of shutter and meter is hardly tell on spot.
through the web, it's a rare issue like this lo.
I guess I would not take lesson from this, as I dislike to treat seller as a cheater firstly. as long as item looks OK to me as description, I'd take it withou bla bla talk:(

A bit provocative here.

thanks ceecookie.
that's far beyond me:)
I try to be a better man in 2008. I wish he will be, too.

There are all sorts of clowns in B/S. Some will reserve, then disappear. Some would ask many questions without making a firm bid. There are a few who make low bids for almost anything put on sale, hoping to pull a fast one.

I am particularly wary of the few IDs who have many items for sale across many brands. It seems that they operate SLS/Lucky Plaza style, like hyenas waiting to pounce on the unaware. I don't have any proof, but I think it may be the same few parties hiding behind different nicks.

Well, just have to be careful who you deal with. Perhaps the mods can consider bringing back the feedback ratings.

It seems there's no seller/buyer blacklists,unlike HWZ.
I do advise there is one each in all B&S subforums(i.e Cameras,Lens and Flash etc)

May I remind everybody - Caveat Emptor - the cardinal rule! Or translated from Latin - Let the buyer be aware! Basically it means that the emphasis is on the buyer to know what he is buying. This rule has been upheld by Courts all round the World and for many centuries! Sorry TS, but at least your lesson is not a super duper expensive one!

It seems there's no seller/buyer blacklists,unlike HWZ.
I do advise there is one each in all B&S subforums(i.e Cameras,Lens and Flash etc)

see syl's reply.

May I remind everybody - Caveat Emptor - the cardinal rule! Or translated from Latin - Let the buyer be aware! Basically it means that the emphasis is on the buyer to know what he is buying. This rule has been upheld by Courts all round the World and for many centuries! Sorry TS, but at least your lesson is not a super duper expensive one!

CS used to have the iTrader rating system. however, CS Admins took it offline after it caused a huge delay/slowdown in our servers and a few running bugs. even then, it is not fool-proof cos there are many people who register a nick just to sell and disappear after dat. with CS getting new registrants almost every other minute everyday (and many never post), it is impossible to police and monitor every single seller/buyer.

hence... buyer beware.

true! that's why I post it here: to remind other buyers.
at least, to share the lessons from everyone will help self-improvement of all buyers, right?
maybe we can make a CS version of "idol book for 2nd hand photographic items":)

Status
Not open for further replies.