THE PHOTOGRAPHY OF YIP CHEONG FUN

Exhibition Dates: 15th March to 15th May 2006
Venue: 10th Level, National Library
FREE ADMISSION

Featuring some 120 masterpieces, you shall be treated to
the many nostalgic images of early Singapore photographed by
the late PSS member Yip Cheong Fun who is also
a Cultural Medallion Award recipient.​

Any ideas when is the opening ceremony .. maybe gate crash and meet some old Masters there ... :sweatsm:

I still got 2 books featured the works of 7 RPS members from Singapore and one of them was Mr Yip, FRPS .. IIRC ... :D

KNIGHT ONG said:
Any ideas when is the opening ceremony .. maybe gate crash and meet some old Masters there ... :sweatsm:

I still got 2 books featured the works of 7 RPS members from Singapore and one of them was My Yip, FRPS .. IIRC ... :D

u not old master meh? :sweatsm:

seriously tho... 2wks ago, i was watching "Sites and Sounds" on Central as they were doing a program on the early photographers who documented singapore landscapes from the 1800s till the present. one of the photographers featured was the late Mr Yip. his son is now running a gallery in chinatown selling reprints of his dad's works. :thumbsup:

nightwolf75 said:
u not old master meh? :sweatsm:

seriously tho... 2wks ago, i was watching "Sites and Sounds" on Central as they were doing a program on the early photographers who documented singapore landscapes from the 1800s till the present. one of the photographers featured was the late Mr Yip. his son is now running a gallery in chinatown selling reprints of his dad's works. :thumbsup:

what old master ??? :kok:

Mr Yip's works was my inspiration during my student days ... I have 1 shot similiar to his works .... shot at Chinatown in B&W .. :bsmilie:

33306898.jpg

33306929.jpg

KNIGHT ONG said:

I still got 2 books featured the works of 7 RPS members from Singapore and one of them was Mr Yip, FRPS .. IIRC ... :D

My apology as I've no idea at all.

Frankly speaking I got this piece of information from PSS and it's hardly occur to me who Mr Yip Cheong Fun was except that I'm aware he was a true Master Photographer. It's good to know that there are a few RPS members in Singapore, but somehow they are not as famous as any of the foreign Masters. Maybe I'm wrong at this point or maybe they are more on the low profile side. Besides we do not have the chance to see their masterpieces til this exhibition to be held.

Btw, where did u get those 2 books? Are they still on sale? :)

His shop is in Chinatown and goes out early Sundays morning
with a heavy duty tripod and his Hassalblad 500CM. Saw him often
during my Chinatown days in the early 90s. He started photography
when he was in his 50s.

----------------------------
Many a young man today will be surprised
when this ardent photographer in his late 60s is
capable of carrying a heavy duty tripod and going out
shooting with his medium format. From that day onwards
I never will complain about carrying a heavy tripod.

forward said:
His shop is in Chinatown and goes out early Sundays morning
with a heavy duty tripod and his Hassalblad 500CM. Saw him often
during my Chinatown days in the early 90s. He started photography
when he was in his 50s.

----------------------------
Many a young man today will be surprised
when this ardent photographer in his late 60s is
capable of carrying a heavy duty tripod and going out
shooting with his medium format. From that day onwards
I never will complain about carrying a heavy tripod.

just to correct you, he left in 1989 ... perhaps you meant in the early 80' .. :)

Hope you dun mind me asking Knight Ong. Will I have the chance to take a look on those 2 books u mentioned of 7 RPS members' work on the first day of the exhibition? I really like to see those Masters' work. We can arrange for a meet-up before we proceed to the exhibition. Let me know if it's alright with you. If it's inconvenient, then it's okay with me. Thanks. :)

Mezzotint said:
Btw, where did u get those 2 books? Are they still on sale? :)

Most photographers in Singapore are shooting for hobby and very few will go for titleship by RPS .. unless you really wanted to earn it and see where you stands.

These book wouldnt be on sale and they were produced during the 80' ... IIRC .. :sweatsm:

Some of CSers also earned the titleship from RPS .. Steven Yee is one of them and the world's youngest FRPS .. :)

To the photographer .. earning an LRPS/ARPS/FRPS is a good starting point for recognition .. RPS is one of top 3 photographic society in the world.

Mezzotint said:
Hope you dun mind me asking Knight Ong. Will I have the chance to take a look on those 2 books u mentioned of 7 RPS members' work on the first day of the exhibition? I really like to see those Masters' work. We can arrange for a meet-up before we proceed to the exhibition. Let me know if it's alright with you. If it's inconvenient, then it's okay with me. Thanks. :)

These 2 books are the same (all B&W photos) .. and it displayed the life of early Singaporean and scene taken by our early days photographer .. will check schedule, find it and let you know what time to meet probably ard 6pm .. on 15 March .. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.